Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique Clock

(Franklin County)

Question Antique Clock

I have come into the possession of an very very old antique clock.

I am told that it is 100% functional, although I must admit I'm not entirely familiar with it's operation. It has a key and two key holes. One of the key holes was easy enough to stick the key into, wind it a few times, and get the clock started after I got the pendulum swinging. The other key hole however offers substantially more resistance when I attempt to wind it, and I hesitate to force it any further for fear of damaging something.

Anyone know what this secondary key hole is for?

Default Re: Antique Clock

On mine it's to adjust the speed of the pendulum.

LOVE antique clocks, I have a mantel style.

(Lancaster County)

What type of clock is it, mantle, wall etc.? Could you post a picture? The clock in the pic. I've attached is an old punch clock from my grandfathers old business. There are two springs to run the clock due to the fact that the clock needed the extra power to run the time component and the lower half which punched time cards. Does your clock do something else other than just keep time, such as chime?

(Franklin County)

Really? Pendulum speed? I just tried winding it maybe an 1/8th of a turn and it didn't seem to affect the pendulum's velocity at all.

Anyway, here's a picture of it if anyone is curious. I like it, it sticks out like a sore thumb in my living room which is otherwise filled with modern decorum and the latest electronics. I'm told it chimes, but I have yet to hear it do so.

(York County)

Second keyhole is for winding the chime spring, it's different from the movement spring.

Probably stiff if it hasn't been in use for a long time.

Jim

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post
    Second keyhole is for winding the chime spring, it's different from the movement spring.

Jim

Interesting, that could explain why I have yet to hear it chime.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    Really? Pendulum speed? I just tried winding it maybe an 1/8th of a turn and it didn't seem to affect the pendulum's velocity at all.

Anyway, here's a picture of it if anyone is curious. I like it, it sticks out like a sore thumb in my living room which is otherwise filled with modern decorum and the latest electronics. I'm told it chimes, but I have yet to hear it do so.

I would suspect that the side giving you a hard time winding is the spring that powers the chimes if it does, and it would seem that you think it should but doesn't. Don't try to force it, if it won't go, there if probably a cam that balances the power between springs when they are both wound and forcing it could cause a failure of that cam, and send a shock thru the gears damaging the clock severely. The pendulum should have an adjustment to move the weight up and down by increments. I would suggest taking the clock to a reputable repair shop that can both clean the internals and in many instances tell you what the clock is worth. Justcurious is the side not winding the left side, my punch clock left powers the lower parts.

(Clarion County)

Smile Re: Antique Clock

Quote Originally Posted by OvadekP View Post
    I would suspect that the side giving you a hard time winding is the spring that powers the chimes if it does, and it would seem that you think it should but doesn't. Don't try to force it, if it won't go, there if probably a cam that balances the power between springs when they are both wound and forcing it could cause a failure of that cam, and send a shock thru the gears damaging the clock severely. The pendulum should have an adjustment to move the weight up and down by increments. I would suggest taking the clock to a reputable repair shop that can both clean the internals and in many instances tell you what the clock is worth. Justcurious is the side not winding the left side, my punch clock left powers the lower parts.
    Ditto And it's beautiful !!

(Franklin County)

OK, I figured out part of the puzzle. It would appear that the hammer mechanism that hits the chime was not resting where it should have been. (see attached image). After settling it into the correct position the clock now chimes... EXCEPT that the number of chimes are woefully misaligned with the time being displayed on the clock. I started playing with the hands on the clock face a little, trying to get the chimes and time to line up, but thought better and stopped. Any suggestions at this point? I don't need to take this thing to a "clocksmith" do I?

Quote Originally Posted by subdude View Post

Jim

My bad... that's what it is.. I'll claim a blond moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast