Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: detained

(Philadelphia County)

Default detained

i don't post here often but thought i should share what just happened about 15 minutes ago.

i was walking home from store open carry when i was about a block away from my house i see a police suv make a u turn with lights on i knew where they were heading. here is what happened next.

suv pulls up next to me female leo on passenger side looking at me.

me: yes i have a license to carry
    her: (as she gets out) can i see it?
    me: sure ( i show it to her in the window of my wallet)
    her: i don't need the whole wallet just the permit
    me: ok but it is a license to carry not a permit ( i took it out and handed it to her)
    her: can i see your i.d also?
    me: sure
    she takes both back to vehicle and does some stuff on computer then she walks back over to me. ( this is where it gets interesting)
    her: i need to run the serial number of your firearm to make sure it is registered to you.
    me: i don't consent to any search or seizure of my person or property.
    her: i need to make sure it is not a stolen firearm.
    me: PA does not have a gun registry so how are you going to run it to see if it is registered to me?
    her: i need to run it to do my job
    me: no you don't this is not my first time being stopped.
    her: do you want me to call a supervisor?
    me: yep
    she gets on radio and calls for a supervisor and we wait
    me: am i being detained?
    her: yes for now you are
    me: what crime am i suspected of committing or about to commit?
    her: you are being detained because you won't let me run serial number so we are waiting for a supervisor.
    me: did my license come back clean?
    her: i don't know i can't run it because you won't let me run the serial number to finish it.
    me: no you don't the times i was stopped before they ran it just fine and never asked to run the serial number of my gun.
    her: we will wait for the supervisor.
    me: ok
    me: are you fresh out of the academy?
    her: not at all
    me: ohh so you were absent the day they did the training on open carry.
    her: maybe
    another police car pulls up with lights on and two more officers get out and come over then the supervisor pulls up behind them and gets out and walks over she starts to say something and i cut her off
    me: i don't consent to any search or seizure of my person or property she wants to run the serial number to see if it is registered to me and as PA does not have a legal gun registry i said no
    supervisor: (talking to her) does he have a license?
    her: yes we have it
    supervisor: did it come back clean?
    her: yes
    supervisor: can i see it?
    they hand it to him
    supervisor: does he have an i.d?
    her: yes we have it
    supervisor: can i see it?
    supervisor looks them over and hands them both to me and says have a nice day, then turns to her and says if the license comes back clean you can't hold him he is free to go on his way.
    me: just to let you know i was illegally detained.
    supervisor: no you were detained pending an investigation
    me: investigation of what? what crime did i commit or suspected of committing? my license and all came back clean and i was still held there

at this point i walked away and continued on my way home and turned and gave a big smile towards the female officer as i waited for the traffic light to turn green.

now i know some will say i said too much and should have shut up while waiting for supervisor but i was pissed. sorry so long winded and i know i made the big mistake of not getting names or badge numbers and forgot to take my voice recorder with me. ( my big boy pants are on so flame on if you feel the need)

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: detained

It's called both a license and a permit in the UFA by the way. Sorry you had a sucky experience.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by philly.dan View Post
    now i know some will say i said too much and should have shut up while waiting for supervisor but i was pissed. sorry so long winded and i know i made the big mistake of not getting names or badge numbers and forgot to take my voice recorder with me. ( my big boy pants are on so flame on if you feel the need)
    You may not post much but obviously you read a lot here because that was my fist thought.... Dan better get ready to have his ass flamed! My opinion is good for you. You handled it as best you saw fit and did not let them walk on you without having to get thrown on the ground or in jail.

(Cumberland County)

So she lied to you.

She told you that she can't run the LTCF and your ID because she needs the SN of the gun, yet when her super asked if she ran you, she responded in the affirmative and provided the result to him.

...and cops wonder why the law abiding citizens trust them less and less...
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Berks County)

Why do they need a LTCF and ID?
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Montgomery County)

It sucked she didn't know how to handle the situation. Maybe you didn't have to be suck a dick though? I mean, you knew she'd eventually be proven wrong anyway....

Oh, and very glad to see you didn't bend on the serial number. Good job.

Im not from the city but I applaud your decision to OC despite the risk of harassment. sounds like you handled it well. I +repped you but your post count is too low to see it. Keep on keepin' on brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    It sucked she didn't know how to handle the situation. Maybe you didn't have to be suck a dick though? I mean, you knew she'd eventually be proven wrong anyway....

Oh, and very glad to see you didn't bend on the serial number. Good job.
    Not sure where he was being a dick. He knew his rights she did not. It cost him time and she put him in a bad position by lying or not knowing that he did not have to turn over his firearm to be run. Supposedly they received training on this after the Viper incident. I'm betting there are plenty of people who don't know this and would turn their firearm over on her word. I don't really see standing up for and stating his rights as being a dick nor calling her on not knowing the law. imo
    Last edited by internet troll; November 25th, 2014 at 02:49 PM.

Btw…. OP, I think you did fine. You knew your rights, stuck up for them and luckily the supervisor knew what the law is.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Not sure where he was being a dick. He knew his rights she did not. It cost him time and she put him in a bad position by lying or not knowing that he did not have to turn over his firearm to be run. Supposedly they received training on this after the Viper incident. I'm betting there are plenty of people who don't know this and would turn their firearm over on her word. I don't really see standing up for and stating his rights as being a dick nor calling her on not knowing the law. imo
    I was referring to correcting her on the LTCF vs Permit, interrupting continuously. To me, its an obvious attempt to be rude and its not necessary. But hey, to each his own. In the end all that really matters is he held onto his rights regardless of how the LEO handled it.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast