Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default nothing to it but to do it

Well, got my LTCF a week or two ago.

This weekend is the first since where I was exclusively in PA.

Doing a bunch of chores around the house, with my G17 on the hip, as you do. Had to run to the store for some stuff, and figured, no time like the present.

Went to the hardware store. Got a few glances at the hip, but nothing said. Seemed like they were rushing me to be done shopping, but not 100% sure on that.

Went to gas station and picked up some snacks. Again, lots of glances to the hip, but nothing said. Joked around with the clerk for a minute and went home.

Now that I think about it, this is my first time carrying, period.

Cherry popped.
    It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye. Then it is hilarious.

(York County)

Default Re: nothing to it but to do it

You'll likely be attributing all sorts of looks and reactions to the gun, simply because you are aware of it, self conscious about it, and maybe nervous too. That is not to say you aren't getting the looks, and for that reason, but it might want to recognize you are likely somewhat exaggerating your observations.

I always try to look around, be aware of the eyes of people around me. What are the facial expressions, what are the emotions in those eyes, where are the eyes looking? You will find that folks will often make eye contact with you, and this is a golden opportunity for you. Make eye contact with them as well, make your confident, shoot them a small smile and a nod of your head. You would be amazed at what this can do do diffuse all but the most radical situations and put people at ease.

Nefarious sorts who are up to no good will avoid eye contact, will not smile or nod. They want to avoid being noticed.

These are basic animal instincts. Consider the way dogs approach each other. Is the tail up or tucked under? Are the ears up or pulled back and away, prepared for fighting? Are the lips pulled back in a smile revealing the molars, or pulled up revealing the canines/fangs?

Animals understand these "greetings", and humans do too, whether we are consciously aware of it or not.

Much is communicated, though not a word is spoken. Although it never hurts to say "hello" either!

I've been doing this for just under 6 years and I've yet to have a negative encounter, including almost 2 dozen chance encounters with law enforcement officers. In the world of open carry in PA I'm a relative newbie.

The more you do it, the better you'll feel about it, so here's hoping all your adventures are positive.

+rep sent for posting your experience.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Totally agree on all points.

I m a very attentive and friendly person by nature and made sure I was both today.

Thank you for the advice and rep.

I went to the store once in Ambridge and noticed every one was looking at me weird... Only once before had anyone asked /noticed why I was carrying
    Got home and realized my zipper was down.

Moral of the story.. Dead birds do not fly away even if you leave the cage open.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I went to the store once in Ambridge and noticed every one was looking at me weird... Only once before had anyone asked /noticed why I was carrying
    Got home and realized my zipper was down.

Moral of the story.. Dead birds do not fly away even if you leave the cage open.
    They have medicine for that now...
    God Bless America and pass the ammunition!

Tell me how that asphalt tastes in a week or two.
    "Glocks are 5 times as addictive as crack"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    Tell me how that asphalt tastes in a week or two.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
    ?
    An inside joke about how overzealous some police officers are when it comes to open carry.

Many members here have stories in other threads about being thrown to the ground, proned out, having shotguns pointed at their head etc. by police all for legally open carrying in public without posing any sort of threat.

It was my sly attempt at humor since the OP said he just started OC'ing.
    "Glocks are 5 times as addictive as crack"

Quote Originally Posted by Im not Batman View Post
    They have medicine for that now...
    I have a heart condition... She better be very good looking for me to take the risk..
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    An inside joke about how overzealous some police officers are when it comes to open carry.

Many members here have stories in other threads about being thrown to the ground, proned out, having shotguns pointed at their head etc. by police all for legally open carrying in public without posing any sort of threat.

It was my sly attempt at humor since the OP said he just started OC'ing.
    Aha! Understood. Have readied myself for any interactions. Have the pamphlet and fairly well versed in the laws re:OC.

My post count is low, but I read a whole lot more than I post here, since in most cases I do not have anything to add.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast