Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bang for the Buck Question

If you have experience in long range rifles let me know your thoughts on a decent rifle for defense, protection and reliability. I'll honestly say I've only used a 30-30 and 30.06. Not necessarily in the long range category I've used M-16 A-1 and A-2. appreciate any usefull experiences!
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Chester County)

Default Re: Bang for the Buck Question

If you're wanting something for home defense, then a shotgun is the way to go.

Now if you want something for picking off zombies at 300 yards.... something in .223 or .308 would do just fine.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Bang for the Buck Question

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    If you're wanting something for home defense, then a shotgun is the way to go.

Now if you want something for picking off zombies at 300 yards.... something in .223 or .308 would do just fine.
    +1 i agree....maybe even an AK for the most politically incorrect zombie killing!!
    Just another "bitter" PA gun owner

(Butler County)

Eventually, I want to get a Savage 10FP bolt gun in .308. Those accutriggers are the bomb.

See, that's a problem. A long range rifle isn't much of a defense or protection weapon, unless you are preparing for a 'Red Dawn' scenario. I agree with the guys. If you want home protection and defense, buy a shotgun and load it with buck shot, cheapest I can think of is a Norinco 12 guage pump. The shorter the barrel the better.

I would say a handgun, but they require you to jump through more hoops to get them, and if you're under stress (like during an attack), you may not be at your sharpest with the aim. The shotgun is alot easier to handle under stress, just point and click, and bad guys go away.

If you insist on a "best bang for the buck" rifle, I'd say go milsurp. For bolt action, you can get a mauser for about $130, a .303 Brit for for about $150, and a Nagant for about $100, or go for the K31 swiss for $230. All of these have been around for atleast 50 years, and you an take 'em out shooting and get a head shot everytime at 100 yards, most of these can get a chest shot out to 400 yards, but you often need custom mounts to use a scope, which is a must for these long shots.

If you want new bolt action rifle, get a Remington model 700.

A more tactical approach would be the semi-auto rifle with a good bananna clip. I'd go with the SKS for $230, but many prefer the AK for $400.

All these guns I have listed are as reliable as you can get. They've been around, and they've passed the test. I only leave the evil black weapons out because they are frivilous and a bit overkill for your needs (bang for the buck), Heck, the SKS and the AK are much more firepower than you will ever need outside of a combat theater, unless maybe you happen upon a herd of deer and want to go ahead and kill your limit

(Butler County)

I disagree with the Remington 700 as a bang-for-the-buck bolt rifle.

The Savage rifles offer the best accuracy straight from the factory, and the user-adjustable Accutrigger is leaps and bounds better than the stock Remington trigger.

Remington may be the 'standard', but I don't think it's the best value right now.

Just IMHO, of course.

(Berks County)

Long range and Home defense are antonyms. Unless you have some seriously long, tom and jerry hallways you don't need anything that can travel more than 20 yards.

For Actually long range rifles for long range shooting.

.270 over '06
    .338 Laupa over .308
    .257 Weatherby over .223

Flatter, faster, more stable.

For HD I recomend a gladius and blue paint.

(Allegheny County)

as others have posted, "long-range" vs. "best for defense" are competing goals. civilian defensive engagements happen at very close range.

imho, the best defensive gun is an AR15...the shorter the better. assuming you don't want to jump through NFA hoops, that means a 16" AR15. it should have a red-dot optic (EOTech or Aimpoint) and a light attached to it, imho.

Sorry for misrepresenting my thoughts. wasnt thinking in terms of "home defense", allready have mossy 500, 9mm, 40 cal, and 45. I do want to expand into long range rifles with good accuracy out past 400 meter. 308, 7.62 are the way I'm leaning I like large punch but would I get longer distance in another caliber such as 7mm? Im just starting looking into these types of rifles? What would it take to reach 1760 yards, the mile mark?
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Butler County)

I'd go with .308 because it's military issue, and although expensive now compared to its historical cost, much cheaper to buy bulk than a less commonly used caliber.

The more you shoot, the better you'll be. That takes lots of ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast