Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Are Pistol Caliber Carbines Useless?

I wouldn't call pistol caliber carbines useless. They just have their place.

Some people don't want to be beatup by recoil from more powerful rifle cartridges(.308cal based cartridges). You tend to get a net positive accuracy and energy levels over a handgun of the same caliber. They are often short enough to wield within a hallway of a house. Muzzleblast from a 9mm carbine tends to be far less than a rifle cartridge gun of similar or even longer lengths. And if you pick your carbine and handguns well enough, you can have a combination that uses the same magazines.

Even under legal issues, pistol caliber carbines tend to have lawful factors going for them in most states and certainly under federal law(18yo to buy versus 21yo for handguns to buy at a FFL). In PA, except in Philly and absent a SoE, no permit is required to drive around with one unloaded, nor to carry openly OR concealed whether loaded or not. (yes, you can legally conceal a rifle or shotgun without a permit in PA - outside Philly and absent a SoE)

Anyone that would call a pistol carbine useless, yet has any fondness for handguns, really has limited experience with guns because the only practical benefit that a handgun has over such a carbine is conceal-ability. ...and in PA, the ability to transport in a vehicle loaded if you have a permit.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 22nd, 2024 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typo
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

This explains why... https://youtu.be/Ya3Pfi_8UIY?si=abBctLB1R82x1oaT

IMO main takeaways are:
    1] that in a pdw chassis like flux or tp9 etc the pkg is under 14inches (nothing else can do this, any AR9s/ 300BO models are too big in width and length - even folded - take over a whole standard backpack;
    2] can suppress super quiet with non-boutique/ affordable ammo (147gr and up)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1096369fred View Post
    After watching TFB video on the MX4.... I have recently fallen back in love with the CX4 platform! I really want to SBR a CX4 in 9mm.... I just bought one of the Surplus City's .40 S&W guns.... And really need another SBR like a hole in the head.... But will likely find one and pay my $200, for my extortion/permission slip.....
    How is the surplus city gun? I've been looking at the ad for awhile.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

Pretty sweet*. The usual rough finish on the outside*. Just bumps and scratches*. There was a fair amount of finish missing on the top rail* but a little birchwood Casey *Aluminum black*. Solved that problem*. I was presently surprised by the finish on the bolt*. Seems it was carried a lot*. Shot a little*. But I think the rails the bolt rides on in. This rifle are poly*. So maybe the bolts don*t wear like when they are steel on steel*.. all in all I really like this gun*. I just got the Upper back from class3 machining in Texas*. Had the barrel threaded*. Can*t wait to shoot it in my .45 Octane can*. But 9/16x24 is odd enough that I don*t have any adapters*..so waiting on a new tri-lug to come in to shoot it!

A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Lehigh County)

Do they have any more in stock? Also which magazine type does it take?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Bucks County)

They had 4-5 on the floor two weeks ago selling for $495. They come set up for PX4 magazines, so no 30 rounders, (avoid Promag at all cost!) but it can be switched over to the 92 series mags.and 30 rounders are available, (8000 series Cougar too!), With the addition of a magwell incert and safety lever. (I got mine from Midwest). If S.C. sold out, look on gunbroker for Surplus Cities sister company Phoenix Distributor's. They had one listed, last I checked! They do come with the buttstock mag pouch, and sling which are kinda spendy if you buy them new!

Mine: (pre barrel threading)

Phoenix:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1042305982
    A Templar is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel.
    Big whoop, I'm spooning a Barret .50 Cal...... I could like kill a building.....

(Lehigh County)

Thanks, I actually want one with the PX4 magwell. I have a PX4 Inox in 40 caliber and Beretta does make large capacity 40 cal mags for it
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Is it stupid to have a carbine that's chambered
    in a pistol caliber vs a rifle caliber?

Yes?
    No?
    Make your case.
    Be prepared to be called an idiot.
    Don't cry.
    Have at it.
    I'd say it is situational.

Speaking of Surplus City and PCCs... They have a pair of Norinco M320's available. Or they did as of yesterday. One in 9mm and one in .45 ACP. These are Chinese clones of the UZI, FYI.

(Delaware County)

I just ordered the Extar PCC in 9mm. I already have the Extar EP - 9 and it has run flawlessly with over 2000 rounds through it.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast