Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Flash lights as a weapon

So, I'm living in Japan right now. I'll probably be here for a bit of time. My Fiance and I are going to Thailand in December. To get to the point, I want some form of advantage in self defence. Guns, Knives over 2" blade, pepper spray, etc are all not allowed. I think the best bet would be a flash light. I'm not talking about buying a huge base ball bat of a flash light. I want intense brightness. It sounds lame, but a bright light in someones eyes will give me a quick advantage... depending on the situation of course.

So, I'm looking for information about this. What is a good brand, what's a good price range, brightest light available, etc.

Thanks

Default Re: Flash lights as a weapon

I carry a Surefire Executive Elite Defender (E2D) model flashlight everywhere I go...its quite bright, and makes a handy little defensive tool with its scalloped bezel. http://www.surefire.com/E2D-Executive-Defender

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Luzerne County)

Here is a thread that has reviews for a bunch of lights.

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-ope...forcement.html
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Take a look at Fenix TK10/11...very compact for EDC and is designed for self defense as well.

SureFire also makes models that would fit your needs.

I work for Streamlight, but we do not offer any models that fit your needs.

IF it isn't Erased, go to Barfcom and look up "flashlight as a weapon"

(Susquehanna County)

After some looking, I'm thinking about this one:

http://www.surefire.com/E2DL

Thoughts?

(Northampton County)

Check out olight too.

http://www.olightworld.com/

I have the T20 (220 lumens) and M20 (250 lumnes). When I go to the People's Republic of Kalifornia, the T20 is in my pocket at all times.

IMHO, these lights beat anything Surefire has to offer, hands down. They're brighter than anything Surefire offers, have a better battery life, and are WAY less money. The other thing I really like is that the function (low, med, high, strobe) is controlled by the bezel, not by the momentary tail cap.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Lackawanna County)

it sucks that so many options are closed to you, but i think you've overlooked an obvious choice: a walking stick/cane. lots more effective than shining a light in someone's eye. the judicious use of a good stick will keep an attacker well out of reach, and could put him in the hospital with one good whack.

also, there's something to be said for blades under 2". think about this: most major muscles and tendons, not to mention major veins and arteries, lies directly beneath the skin, which is less than 1/2" deep. most criminals don't bother buying "tactical" knives; boxcutters, which have blades well under 2", are a popular choice, as they also manage to kill a lot of people every year. even a 1" blade can kill, if you know what to target.

do you know if yawara/kubatons/koppo sticks are legal? most of the flashlights mentioned are just very expensive, dual purpose koppo sticks. if you're concerned with strike capabilities, i would suggest a cheap double AA maglight; they aren't the brightest lights out there, but they hit hard.

my final suggestion to you is, since you're in Japan, join a aikido/jujutsu/iaijutsu/kenjutsu class. they're all over the place in Japan, like boxing gyms here in the states. most dojos require the use of a bokken, the wooden equivalent of a katana. little historical factoid: Musashi Miyamoto, the sword saint (kensei) of Japan, managed to kill opponents with a bokken, most famously Sasaki Kojiro, during the duel of Ganryu Island.

whatever you decide, good luck! enjoy Japan.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    After some looking, I'm thinking about this one:

http://www.surefire.com/E2DL

Thoughts?
    Yes, the LED version is the one you want, especially given it's secondary role as an impact weapon. It's also a good "makeshift" kubotan.

(Luzerne County)

I know a cop about 20 years ago that hit a burglar in the head with a flashlight and knocked him back into the 5th grade.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast