Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Angry "New" AR15 with powder residue inside the bolt

I just purchased a Bushmaster AR15 from my local Gander Mountain. I've purchased some other firearms there in the past, and generally been happy.

I brought the weapon home, took the bolt out, thinking to make sure there was no cosmoline, lubricate it, and generally get it ready to take to a range and zero. As I was wiping the parts of the bolt down, I noticed a LOT of black...not just some packing lubricant, but actual powder residue.

I examined the extracter and firing pin, yup, more powder residue in this "new" firearm. No way to mistake it. The deposits weren't "baked on" as from extensive firing, but it's clear that the weapon isn't "new". Either it's pre-owned, or somebody decided to take it out to the range and "test" it. I could handle that if the retailor had been up front, but not only was it sold as "new", they didn't even clean out the weapon, for crying out loud.

So, experienced firearm owners, suggestions, advice, etc?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: "New" AR15 with powder residue inside the bolt

I would definitly contact the management and tell them what has happened. and if that doesnt work i would contact customer service at Bushmaster. i own 4 of them and none of them were what seems to be previouly fired like you are describing.

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks. I was wondering if I should give the salesman at the store a chance to sort it out, or go straight to the management.

Funny thing is, I was merrilly wiping down the parts (from habits aqcuired a decade or so ago.."Parts dirty...clean parts...or many pushups happen") when the big breaker in my head went "Kachunk!" and it caught up with me that this was my "new" firearm.

I haven't disassembled the extracter yet or run a patch through the barrel, so I there's still plenty of grime left to demonstrate the issue.

(Schuylkill County)

I know what you mean about the push ups good i hate them.........
    anyway i would not clean any furhter. call or take it back is your best bet.......
    my fiance works for cabelas and i know that if someone at the store was responseable he and the manager of firearms would be on the out side looking in.

(Westmoreland County)

Yup. I quit the moment my brain caught up with my hands. Even saved the cleaning rags...pointless if the whole operation is crooked, but what the hell.

(Lawrence County)

A lot of those guns are test fired at the factory. I've seen some guns need a good scrubbing that were NIB.

P.S. - Many times it's the dealer who cleans them when they come in. Check under the charging handle. Got any marks from being cycled? That tends to happen after a few hundred or so.
    Last edited by Lycanthrope; March 17th, 2007 at 09:19 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

There was some grunge under the charging handle, but signs of noticible wear, there or on any of the other moving parts.

I thought about the possibility of test firing, but I'd never heard of the firearm not being cleaned before being shipped out. That's a new one to me. Have you heard of that happenning with Bushmaster in particular?

(Berks County)

I've heard of it happening with Bushy and a couple of other manufacturers. As someone else said oftentimes it is the dealer who cleans them before they go on display. I'm not sure that I would be overly worried unless I saw something completely off the wall.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Susquehanna County)

It is very normal for "new" guns straight from the maufacturer to be dirty. They are pressure tested and sometimes function-tested. I have seen some that were extremely dirty, probably from extended firing. Most customers don't see this because the dealer will clean them before selling. Large volume dealers, special ordered guns or a busy shop might keep the guns from being cleaned. If the gun doesn't exhibit obvious signs of wear, it is probably new. I try to clean every gun, new and used, going through my shop.

(Luzerne County)

I also would call it "normal" as long as there is no visible wear from repeated use. I have purchased NIB guns that also showed signs of firing, many even came with a shot target. Chock it up to factory test firing, a lot of residue would make me wonder though. Problems with it at the factory so it received most testing? I still think I would prefer a gun test fired at the factory for problems rather than receive it "virgin" and find the problems myself.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast