Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Looking to the past: What happened in '94?

Just curious for us younger folk--I was of hunting age, but otherwise was too young to realize the anticipation of and effects of, the AWB in '94. Was the run on ammo/fireamrs similar to what is happening now? I figure ammo prices jumped considerably...did they ever drop at all, or just continue to rise?

Looking to the past to anticipate the future. Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Exclamation Re: Looking to the past: What happened in '94?

There WAS something of a run on firearms, but NOTHING like you're seeing today (this is WORSE than Y2K! ). I was hitting gun shows still in early/mid '94, and still finding stuff cheap a YEAR after he took office (but BEFORE the Brady Bill passed that fall) - bought a MAK90 NIB for $249 - a 75 round Chinese drum for $39 (Hundred-rounders were WAAAAY up there at $69, so I didn't get one Got one later for $39! ). Bought an American wood kit for the MAK for $29, and - voila - a DECENT looking AK clone WITH drum for less than 4 bills - in Feb.'94. 30 & 40 round mags were still cheap. $8.99 for a 30 and $12.99 for a 40 for your AK (thereabouts). You could buy Vietnam era surplus COLT 20 rnd. AR mags for $3.99 - $4.99 a piece. Picked up 2 dozen one summer day at a little shop in the mountains of NC in '94 on a lark @ $3.99 ea. This was all in the Charlotte area and west of NC, FYI.

Cheap NORINCO ammo was all gone by then though (steel core could be had for $8-10 a box of 20 by then - OUTRAGEOUS!!!! ) - had to buy brass-cased Hungarian stuff for the RIDICULOUS sum of $3.99 a box of 20 - SCANDALOUS, back then! S&B was just starting to import some lacquered steel-case stuff - it was around $2.49 - $3.49 a box, too!

We KNEW KLIN-TON I would be bad, but the Brady Bill was baaaaaaaad news, and it came REALLY fast when it finally did (a year & a half into his insurrection). THAT'S, when stuff flew off the shelves! I remember scooping up the last few hundred rounds of Hirtenbeger .308 from a store in my hometown for $5.99 a box, even as we're WATCHING the vote on C-Span in the gun shop!

I don't think ANY of us who 'survived' it, are gonna take any CHANCES this time... which is why I started stocking up... in 1990.

And also again, after the 2006 election!

Bob

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Looking to the past: What happened in '94?

I still miss the days of Wolf 7.62x39mm going out the door at $2 a box of 20. 1000 round cases were $89 and it was all over the place. Now it's about $5 a box of 20 depending on where you buy it and 500 rounds is $109 last I saw. It's been a rough 3 or 4 years

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    I still miss the days of Wolf 7.62x39mm going out the door at $2 a box of 20. 1000 round cases were $89 and it was all over the place. Now it's about $5 a box of 20 depending on where you buy it and 500 rounds is $109 last I saw. It's been a rough 3 or 4 years
    People seem to forget three of the five presidents pushing the Brady bill happen to be REPUBLICANS.

(York County)

I think any new AWB will be much worse than the 94 bill. The anti-gunners have learned their lesson. Any new bill will not have a 10 year sunset provision, it will be permanent. (That will take 60 senators to override a fillabuster to repeal it). I also think they will try to outlaw private sales of any of the banned weapons and then tax they heck out of any sale via an FFL. (Or simply outlaw resale entirely) So even if you have one now, you would not be able to sell it to anyone else in the future. High capacity mags would get the same treatment, and they may add semi-auto pistols into the mix. One of goals of many anti's is to put gun manufacturers out of business. Expect provisions in a new bill to do just that by making it impossible for many of the smaller firms to stay in business.