Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default New here - looking for advice

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and to civilian gun ownership. I was in the Army years ago (been out since 1993), so I got familiar with my M-16 during my one enlistment. But I haven’t touched any firearms since then. For obvious reasons, I decided to stock up. I recently ordered a Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm carbine rifle and a PX4 Storm 9mm handgun. They should be arriving any day now.

Today I swung by my local Dunham’s and found a WASR-10 AK-47 hi-cap. I’ve been reading about it and I’m looking forward to shooting it this weekend. I have a few basic questions, and I’m hoping some of you fine folks can help fill me in.

• Is there such a thing as a gun safety or gun use class? I’ve read the manual on how to strip the gun and clean it, but I’d feel better having some actual instruction before I do it. From what I can see and what I read, I know this is a fairly simple gun to maintain. Maybe someone knows of a good video online?

• This is going to sound really dumb, but what’s the best way to ensure there are no barrel obstructions? When I open the chamber, I can only see so far into the barrel. I’m assuming passing the cleaning rod through is the best bet, yes?

• What should I do to prep the rifle before the first use?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, which I’ll post here as they come to me.

I would really appreciate any and all tips anyone might care to give me.

Thank you very much!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: New here - looking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum and to civilian gun ownership. I was in the Army years ago (been out since 1993), so I got familiar with my M-16 during my one enlistment. But I haven’t touched any firearms since then. For obvious reasons, I decided to stock up. I recently ordered a Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm carbine rifle and a PX4 Storm 9mm handgun. They should be arriving any day now.

Today I swung by my local Dunham’s and found a WASR-10 AK-47 hi-cap. I’ve been reading about it and I’m looking forward to shooting it this weekend. I have a few basic questions, and I’m hoping some of you fine folks can help fill me in.

• Is there such a thing as a gun safety or gun use class? I’ve read the manual on how to strip the gun and clean it, but I’d feel better having some actual instruction before I do it. From what I can see and what I read, I know this is a fairly simple gun to maintain. Maybe someone knows of a good video online?

• This is going to sound really dumb, but what’s the best way to ensure there are no barrel obstructions? When I open the chamber, I can only see so far into the barrel. I’m assuming passing the cleaning rod through is the best bet, yes?

• What should I do to prep the rifle before the first use?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, which I’ll post here as they come to me.

I would really appreciate any and all tips anyone might care to give me.

Thank you very much!
    Hello and welcome. Yes there are plenty of classes for self defense/safety. Unsure if any classes exist for online videos for those firearm but reading the instruction manual would be the best bet.

There is no dumb questions here. I usually open the chamber and use a flashlight.

I would do a break down of your new firearms. Learn them, respect them, which I am sure you learned in the army. I would clean the new factory grease off and put on your own.

If you got any other questions just PM me and once again

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

(Northampton County)

Is there such a thing as a gun safety or gun use class? I’ve read the manual on how to strip the gun and clean it, but I’d feel better having some actual instruction before I do it. From what I can see and what I read, I know this is a fairly simple gun to maintain. Maybe someone knows of a good video online?
    http://www.remington.com/safety/10_commandments/

This is going to sound really dumb, but what’s the best way to ensure there are no barrel obstructions? When I open the chamber, I can only see so far into the barrel. I’m assuming passing the cleaning rod through is the best bet, yes?
    Cleaning rod, yes. Or wooden dowel. Most AK's have a cleaning rod right under the barrel.

What should I do to prep the rifle before the first use?
    Field strip, clean, lube. (Solvent is your friend to clean off the Cosmoline from the internals).

Check here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/board.html?b=4

US Army AK Operators Manual: http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/...atorManual.pdf

AK's are like pliers. Pretty easy to use, not too much maintenance. Don't overthink it. And, it's "standard capacity", not "hi-cap". That's gun grabber lingo.
    Last edited by Captain Tuttle; November 13th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Clarion County)

Talking Re: New here - looking for advice

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tuttle View Post
    Uhh, what did you do in the Army?
    Well if he's anything like I was ,--I learned how to drink,shave,what a condom was for ,(to cover the muzzle end of a M-16,They really don't like dirt ),and to get down right mid-evil !!
    Last edited by dman; November 14th, 2008 at 10:57 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Come to a group shoot next month in Monroeville......

Lycancomeonoverthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lebanon County)

Break cleaner, and carb cleaner also work good on cosmoline. If you field strip the rifle you will be able to see down the barrel from either end, though looking from the rear will require some positional finagling on your part.

To prep an ak just load the mag

Be prepared to have cosmoline ooze out of strange places on the rifle when you fire. Eventually it will all work itself out.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Well if he's anything like I was ,--I learned how to drink,shave,what a condom was for ,(to cover the muzzle end of a M-16,They realy don't like dirt ),and to get down right mid-evil !!
    Not sure why that guy edited his original comment.

In addition to the things you listed, I drove one of these:

(Clarion County)

Talking Re: New here - looking for advice

Not sure why that guy edited his original comment.

In addition to the things you listed, I drove one of these:

Dude,I love salvos----!

(Allegheny County)

So about the cosmoline - when I was buying the accessories to clean with, the guy at the store said most of the AKs come jammed full of grease but not this particular one.

How can I tell if I do in fact need to do something more extensive? Should I pass a cotton patch through on the rod and see if it comes back clean? If so, would I then just lightly lube it with oil? Again, sorry for the naive questions, but I'm not sure what to be looking for at this point. I don't want to damage the rifle by not having it prepped properly before the first use.

(Lebanon County)

Was it covered head to toe in a sticky slightly reddish or orangeish grease like substance? If so, thats cosmo (dab a little behind your ears, drives the women wild )

If it doesn't have an obvious coating of greese, then somebody already cleaned it. Run a patch through, and if it comes back dirty then clean it. Don't forget to remove and clean the gas tube. Once it's clean just give it the usual light coating of oil.

Honestly, though it's an AK. I know guys who soak them overnight in a barrel of gas, rinse with water, and towel dry. It's not like the AR (no offense to any AR guys), and it will work with crud in it. It doesn't need to be babied, just loved
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast