Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Bow hunting question

Yesterday when I arrived at the farm to bring my horses in from the pasture a bow hunter was in their field. That area is approx. 4 acres, and my horses were at one end, he at the other.

How far can an arrow fly from a cross bow? Were my horses in any danger at that distance and should I have asked him to leave that pasture? He has permission to hunt on that farm.. however there is 30 acres for his use. The deer like to hang around the horses and the ones he was watching were at the half-way point between the horses and his spot.

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Bow hunting question

Unless he was extremely irresponsible and didn't check that the background was clear before shooting, in my opinion your horses weren't in any danger. Are you sure it was a crossbow? Even still 40 yards is a LONG shot for a crossbow. If that pasture was 4 acres and they were at opposite ends I don't see a problem. Especially if the hunter was in a treestand, shots tend to stick in the ground very close to the target when shot at an angle from a tree.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Beretta View Post
    Yesterday when I arrived at the farm to bring my horses in from the pasture a bow hunter was in their field. That area is approx. 4 acres, and my horses were at one end, he at the other.

How far can an arrow fly from a cross bow? Were my horses in any danger at that distance and should I have asked him to leave that pasture? He has permission to hunt on that farm.. however there is 30 acres for his use. The deer like to hang around the horses and the ones he was watching were at the half-way point between the horses and his spot.
    IMHO, if people are hunting the same fields your horses are in, they are in danger. I don't care if it's rifles, bows or slingshots. If you don't personally know the hunter, never assume they'll think "safety first" when a trophy buck comes into view. I'm not sure I'd ask them to leave, but I'd take measures to make sure the horses are safe. We put blaze orange blankets on ours, and put up temporary fencing to close off about 1/2 acre on our 10 acre pasture to keep the horses close to the barn during deer season, including black powder and bow. It's not just missed shots at deer that kill domestic animals, many a jackass has taken a shot at the "biggest deer they've ever seen" long after sunset, only to find out they shot a cow, horse, donkey or great dane or uncle Henry.

Just an update. Tonight I attended a party at the farm and met the two hunters. They will not hunt within the field if the horses are there nor in the direction of my horses. They use one hunter to sit in the tree and the other maneuvers the deer toward him if possible.
    The farm owner gave them a long lecture on not hunting near the horses and that a safe distance was mandatory or they'd have to find another place to hunt.
    The older hunter apologized to me. However I was creeped out when he said he's seen me quite frequently from his tree spot and I never knew he was there. I told him I'd prefer if he at least made a human noise so I know he's there.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Beretta View Post
    Just an update. Tonight I attended a party at the farm and met the two hunters. They will not hunt within the field if the horses are there nor in the direction of my horses. They use one hunter to sit in the tree and the other maneuvers the deer toward him if possible.
    The farm owner gave them a long lecture on not hunting near the horses and that a safe distance was mandatory or they'd have to find another place to hunt.
    The older hunter apologized to me. However I was creeped out when he said he's seen me quite frequently from his tree spot and I never knew he was there. I told him I'd prefer if he at least made a human noise so I know he's there.
    Stealth is one of the objects of the game so he probably won't make a human noise, but if you hear a lot of snorting and grunting, don't worry, he's probably seen you and that's just his mating call.

(Monroe County)

Few things...

1. Yes an arrow can easily travel over 200 - 300 yards, I am glad they won't be hunting in the pasture anymore, that is just irresponsible in my opinion. If they were smart archers they would post up in the wood line about 5 - 10 yards (or more) from the edge and take their shots while the deer are just walking into the field. The more they make their presence known the more impact it will have on their ability to hunt there in the future.

2. While I'm sure they wouldn't shoot at your horses its amazing what an arrow can do when it catches a tree limb. I took a shot at a deer a few years ago and the arrow caught a tiny branch that I didn't see... I found it stuck 10+ feet up a tree about 1/2 an inch deep more then 100 yards away.

3. If they are "driving" deer, ie: one guy pushes them to another, then there is something very wrong with these guys. You don't drive deer during archery season, its a tactic used during rifle season when its possible to shoot a running deer. The more panicked the deer are the less likely they will follow their normal routine and thus the less likely they will walk within 30 yards of a set tree stand.

The next time you go out to the farm and see him ask if he would be willing to put a blaze orange vest on the gate or entry way to his hunting spot so you know they are out there, explain this is for both of your benefit, you will know they are there so you won't ride around that corner of the pasture and scare off the deer and then you'll also know to stay a safe distance (minimum 50 yards but I'd suggest 100 yards).

During rifle season put kevlar vests on your horses and lock them up, a rifle round can go a LONG way and still be very lethal
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    3. If they are "driving" deer, ie: one guy pushes them to another, then there is something very wrong with these guys. You don't drive deer during archery season, its a tactic used during rifle season when its possible to shoot a running deer. The more panicked the deer are the less likely they will follow their normal routine and thus the less likely they will walk within 30 yards of a set tree stand.
    Not to get off track, but driving in archery is quite common and nothing like how it's done it rifle. In archery one hunter walks slowly, almost at still hunt pace. A couple steps, then stop. The point is to "nudge" the deer in the direction you want, not drive them. I don't do it, but it can be quite successful when done properly.

I am glad they decided to not hunt the field when the horses are there. The more I thought about it, the more I disagreed with my original opinion. I know how I would act in that situation, but the others are right. Stuff happens and there are a lot of irresponsible hunters unfortunately.

I have been in my tree when hikers walked by and never knew I was there. You are not in danger and if he makes a noise he could give away his position to any deer who might be watching you at the same time. But asking them to wear an orange hat wouldn't be a bad idea.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Venango County)

Well.....one.....they should have asked permission in the first place.....and the landowner should have their names and addresses......and tell them...one of these horses comes up dead or injured...you are paying for it.

I would be quite comfortable shooting with the horses IE out to the edge of the pasture....but I would never shoot at a deer with them...IE from the edge of the pasture.....

Get to know them, and they will show you if they are responsible people or not...

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!