Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Father to son transfer (handgun)

I'm currently eighteen and I was wondering how the process of receiving a handgun from my father would go, any paperwork *threw FFL maybe*/background check? Certain identification required? I don't have a drivers license yet, but I have a hunters permit/license, drivers permit, PA voters card (republican ftw), some mail to prove where I reside, and my SSN/Birth Certificate.

There has been other posts that are (somewhat) related, but not in the details that I'm searching for.
    Last edited by chris198; March 16th, 2007 at 03:51 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Father to son transfer (handgun)

i could be completely out of the ball park here, but from what i understand, you can't legally own a handgun untill you're 21 in PA. You can "own" one (shoot at the range with parents, ect.) but not register one under your name and or buy one.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 00gt1 View Post
    i could be completely out of the ball park here, but from what i understand, you can't legally own a handgun untill you're 21 in PA. You can "own" one (shoot at the range with parents, ect.) but not register one under your name and or buy one.
    I'm pretty sure it was, if the gun is handgun is handed down to you from a parent/grand parent it is legally yours, but I don't know the process to receive it. (21 TO BUY THE HANDGUN and AMMO, 18 to OWN IT) I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. I also remember reading a 18yr can take a HANDGUN thats been given to them (by a parent / or a present), and drive alone to a firing range and practice.

Can anyone confirm or deny this and if I'm correct tell me about the process of transfer.
    Last edited by chris198; March 16th, 2007 at 03:56 AM.

(Montgomery County)

you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer, however, you must be at least 18 to receive one from a direct family member, such as mother/father etc, without having to transfer thru a dealer (FFL)

under 18 is generally unlawful to transfer a handgun to, without written permission from the parent or guardian, and only for a lawful purpose.

receiving a handgun from a non family member would not be lawful,as the dealer would not be able to transfer it to you, as private sales on handguns must go thru a dealer so the PICS check can be performed.

rifles and shotguns are ok to buy from a dealer at 18.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    you must be 21 to purchase a handgun from a dealer, however, you must be at least 18 to receive one from a direct family member, such as mother/father etc, without having to transfer thru a dealer (FFL)

under 18 is generally unlawful to transfer a handgun to, without written permission from the parent or guardian, and only for a lawful purpose.

receiving a handgun from a non family member would not be lawful,as the dealer would not be able to transfer it to you, as private sales on handguns must go thru a dealer so the PICS check can be performed.

rifles and shotguns are ok to buy from a dealer at 18.
    So your basically saying there really is no process for me to receive the handgun from a parent? (I'd like some prof of ownership though, guess thats not possible eh?) I just don't understand how its so simple, it feels like it can't be right, but it is though. Thought things would more strict for handguns. /shrug
    Last edited by chris198; March 16th, 2007 at 04:48 AM.

(Montgomery County)

the process is they hand it to you.
    if you want proof of ownership, hve them print out and sign a document, like a receipt, that states this is a gift, and from whom.
    no biggie.

the only real way there would be a problem is if you are a prohibited person, and cannot legally own a gun at all.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Indiana County)

When in doubt, see what Pennsylvania law says on the subject. From the Packing.Org website, here's one applicable section of the Uniform Firearms Act:
    § 6110.1. Possession of firearm by minor.

(a) Firearm.--Except as provided in subsection (b), a person under 18 years of age shall not possess or transport a firearm anywhere in this Commonwealth.

(b) Exception.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to a person under 18 years of age:
    A little bit clearer, it simply states that if one is under 18 years of age, one cannot possess a firearm. Therefore, if one is 18 or over, one can.

Concerning transfer, the law is quite clear on this:
    § 6111. Sale or transfer of firearms.

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    So, the law clearly states that a transfer (of ownership) between a parent and a child (meaning the parent's offspring, not a minor (under 18) child) requires no interaction with anyone else. Is a bill of transfer required? No. And, since there's no firearms registration in the Commonwealth, nobody else has to be informed.

At age 18 you can own it, and you can fire it at the range, you just can't transport it to the range all by yourself unless it's empty, in a container with ammo in a separate container, and out of reach of the owner.

(Northumberland County)

The real problem is federal law that says that you can't buy ammo for a handgun until you're 21...

(Allegheny County)

the process is they hand it to you.
    ....and you hug them!

(Montgomery County)

so just out of curiosity... how do open carry laws pertain to a 20 year old who was gifted a handgun from their parents?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast