Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Re: USCCA hangs member out to dry?

One of the reasons I went with a competitor of theirs. Having a cap on your legal defense really defeats the purpose of having this insurance. I currently have CCW Safe, from the research I did seemed like a good choice.
    -Brandon

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I found this article about her trial. The info on her laptop shows that she planned it all out in advance. Very damning! Can't blame USCCA for pulling out if she was using them. I highlighted a few key parts. https://www.kalb.com/2022/01/29/kayl...ot-take-stand/

Det. Curtis Gunter with RPSO was called to the stand. He is a forensic examiner.

Gunter was able to analyze Giles’ MacBook Pro in the “flower” bag - the laptop Giles’ sister took to Ouachita Parish to give to Giles’ friend, Jennifer Dennis.

It took Gunter several years to properly extract its contents due to Apple’s changing encryption software. That delay in pulling data off the laptop is what delayed the trial from starting last May when it was originally scheduled.

The state presented to the jury some of the data that was discovered on the laptop.

They showed a Word document with a court document that appeared to be waiting to be filed entitled “Defendant’s Notice to Relocate with Child.” That was created on Sept. 4, 2018, four days before the shooting.

Gunter also extracted contact info saved in an address book for USCCA, the insurance company from which Giles bought self-defense policy for the gun she used to kill Thomas Coutee, Jr. That contact information was entered on the date of purchase of the weapon, 12 days before the shooting, and then accessed again on Sept. 1, 2018, seven days before the shooting.

Gunter also found a copy of Louisiana RS 14, which is the criminal law code. Within that document were sections 19 and 20, which pertain to “use of force” and “justifiable homicide.”
    Gunter said that information was accessed four days before the shooting and recovered by him as an item possibly saved then deleted or accessed and not saved.

Finally, Gunter was able to access archived iMessages sent between Giles and a 214 area code on Aug. 2, 2018.

The conversation that was read began with Giles writing, “I deleted all social media.”

The 214 area code: “Yeah. I saw that. It sucks you have to do that.”

Then Giles, “I may make the news.”

The 214 area code: “Make sure to send me the link. Lol.”

Then Giles, “You may be the one starting the GoFundMe for some bail money.”

ADVERTISEMENT

During cross-examination, defense attorney George Higgins pointed out that there is no way to know who did the search for Louisiana law on Giles’ computer. He also pointed out that other court documents were saved to the computer.

He showed the jury a small screenshot of a document that he said was from a doctor about Giles having PTSD, as well as another chat conversation between Giles and a woman who was renting out her house who alerted Giles to a “black truck” sitting near her mailbox, wondering if it was Coutee, Jr. The State pointed out that Coutee, Jr. drove a white truck.

Higgins showed the jury Giles’ Texas license to conceal carry, as well as a screenshot of an email from Coutee, Jr. to Giles where he apologized for being a “bad husband” and about his “anger problem.” The state pointed out that within that email there was no mention of violence and Assistant Attorney General Joseph LeBeau said, “It sounds like a husband trying to save his marriage.”

The second witness for the State was Sgt. Doug Alford with the Alexandria Police Department. He is also a forensic examiner.

In 2019, Alford extracted iMessages between Giles and Coutee, Jr. detailing the ongoing disagreements they were having over custody of their shared child.

Here is one exchange on July 23, 2018.

Coutee, Jr.: “What’s T doing?”

Giles: “Unless I tell you different, she is fine. There is no need to text me every day. Stop bothering me.”

Two days later, Coutee, Jr. asks the same question.

Coutee, Jr.: “How’s T doing?”

Giles: “Who is that?”

On July 31, 2018, Coutee, Jr. asks Giles why she is keeping their daughter from him, saying he does not want to just see her every other weekend. He also says he has a right to know what is going on with the school Giles wants to send their daughter to.

A few days later, Coutee, Jr. checks up on the daughter again. Giles says she does not want to talk to him. Coutee, Jr. says:

“I’m asking about our daughter, Kayla. I don’t care about you.”

Giles then says she is going to block Coutee, Jr.’s number.

The prosecution also submitted call logs from Giles’ phone, noting two outgoing calls from the day of the shooting.

The first is a call to 911 at 11:14 a.m. that lasts 13 seconds. The second is a call to Delta Conceal Carry Insurance just six minutes later that lasted about three minutes.

They also submitted a text message from Giles to her sister, Jessica, just one day before the shooting. That message goes as follows.

“Don’t forget my flower bag. Just put it in your car, and I’ll swing by after I drop the girls off.”

Lastly, the prosecution submitted into evidence the Safari search history extracted from Giles’ phone. All searches identified in court were recovered deleted searches.

Here is a look at a few of those searches.

On Aug. 24, 2018, Giles searched “Louisiana self-defense spouse” and “Louisiana self-defense laws.”
    On Aug. 26, 2018, she searched “arrested after self-defense” and “self-defense inside car.”
    On Aug. 27, 2018, she searched “Dallas Ruger .380.”
    On Sept. 4, 2018, Giles searched “relocation and restraining order.”

this might not be the pitch fork moment against USCCA
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Allegheny County)

Maybe she just wanted to know what would happen if she defended herself from a asshole.

(Berks County)

Hmmm...I don't see that as particularly damning myself. When I started to worry about having to shoot someone and started carrying, I gathered as much information as I could in regards to what is a justifiable shooting and what is not. And I would recommend the same to anyone who wants to own and carry a gun for self defense.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Butler County)

While out on bond, she was arrested for identity theft and scamming California state unemployment. https://www.kalb.com/2020/10/19/kayl...enefits-fraud/

I found this article too, on her police interrogation right after the shooting. https://www.thetowntalk.com/story/ne...ve/9224114002/ She said she kept the gun in the door pocket, but she shot him center-of-mass the instant he opened her car door. How did she retrieve the gun in that instant?

She claimed that he had hit her in the past, once even knocking her out, but there was no evidence, no police reports, no records of injuries. In fact, the only documented injuries were to her husband.

Something definitely smells here.

(Butler County)

Nice mug shot. Kinda reminds me of someone.

(Bucks County)

Sounds like a member problem not a USCCA issue..

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I found this article about her trial. The info on her laptop shows that she planned it all out in advance. Very damning! Can't blame USCCA for pulling out if she was using them. I highlighted a few key parts. https://www.kalb.com/2022/01/29/kayl...ot-take-stand/

Det. Curtis Gunter with RPSO was called to the stand. He is a forensic examiner.

Gunter was able to analyze Giles* MacBook Pro in the *flower* bag - the laptop Giles* sister took to Ouachita Parish to give to Giles* friend, Jennifer Dennis.

It took Gunter several years to properly extract its contents due to Apple*s changing encryption software. That delay in pulling data off the laptop is what delayed the trial from starting last May when it was originally scheduled.

The state presented to the jury some of the data that was discovered on the laptop.

They showed a Word document with a court document that appeared to be waiting to be filed entitled *Defendant*s Notice to Relocate with Child.* That was created on Sept. 4, 2018, four days before the shooting.

Gunter also extracted contact info saved in an address book for USCCA, the insurance company from which Giles bought self-defense policy for the gun she used to kill Thomas Coutee, Jr. That contact information was entered on the date of purchase of the weapon, 12 days before the shooting, and then accessed again on Sept. 1, 2018, seven days before the shooting.

Gunter also found a copy of Louisiana RS 14, which is the criminal law code. Within that document were sections 19 and 20, which pertain to *use of force* and *justifiable homicide.*
    Gunter said that information was accessed four days before the shooting and recovered by him as an item possibly saved then deleted or accessed and not saved.

Finally, Gunter was able to access archived iMessages sent between Giles and a 214 area code on Aug. 2, 2018.

The conversation that was read began with Giles writing, *I deleted all social media.*

The 214 area code: *Yeah. I saw that. It sucks you have to do that.*

Then Giles, *I may make the news.*

The 214 area code: *Make sure to send me the link. Lol.*

Then Giles, *You may be the one starting the GoFundMe for some bail money.*

ADVERTISEMENT

During cross-examination, defense attorney George Higgins pointed out that there is no way to know who did the search for Louisiana law on Giles* computer. He also pointed out that other court documents were saved to the computer.

He showed the jury a small screenshot of a document that he said was from a doctor about Giles having PTSD, as well as another chat conversation between Giles and a woman who was renting out her house who alerted Giles to a *black truck* sitting near her mailbox, wondering if it was Coutee, Jr. The State pointed out that Coutee, Jr. drove a white truck.

Higgins showed the jury Giles* Texas license to conceal carry, as well as a screenshot of an email from Coutee, Jr. to Giles where he apologized for being a *bad husband* and about his *anger problem.* The state pointed out that within that email there was no mention of violence and Assistant Attorney General Joseph LeBeau said, *It sounds like a husband trying to save his marriage.*

The second witness for the State was Sgt. Doug Alford with the Alexandria Police Department. He is also a forensic examiner.

In 2019, Alford extracted iMessages between Giles and Coutee, Jr. detailing the ongoing disagreements they were having over custody of their shared child.

Here is one exchange on July 23, 2018.

Coutee, Jr.: *What*s T doing?*

Giles: *Unless I tell you different, she is fine. There is no need to text me every day. Stop bothering me.*

Two days later, Coutee, Jr. asks the same question.

Coutee, Jr.: *How*s T doing?*

Giles: *Who is that?*

On July 31, 2018, Coutee, Jr. asks Giles why she is keeping their daughter from him, saying he does not want to just see her every other weekend. He also says he has a right to know what is going on with the school Giles wants to send their daughter to.

A few days later, Coutee, Jr. checks up on the daughter again. Giles says she does not want to talk to him. Coutee, Jr. says:

*I*m asking about our daughter, Kayla. I don*t care about you.*

Giles then says she is going to block Coutee, Jr.*s number.

The prosecution also submitted call logs from Giles* phone, noting two outgoing calls from the day of the shooting.

The first is a call to 911 at 11:14 a.m. that lasts 13 seconds. The second is a call to Delta Conceal Carry Insurance just six minutes later that lasted about three minutes.

They also submitted a text message from Giles to her sister, Jessica, just one day before the shooting. That message goes as follows.

*Don*t forget my flower bag. Just put it in your car, and I*ll swing by after I drop the girls off.*

Lastly, the prosecution submitted into evidence the Safari search history extracted from Giles* phone. All searches identified in court were recovered deleted searches.

Here is a look at a few of those searches.

On Aug. 24, 2018, Giles searched *Louisiana self-defense spouse* and *Louisiana self-defense laws.*
    On Aug. 26, 2018, she searched *arrested after self-defense* and *self-defense inside car.*
    On Aug. 27, 2018, she searched *Dallas Ruger .380.*
    On Sept. 4, 2018, Giles searched *relocation and restraining order.*
    Her case reminds me of a friend who was an insurance scammer. He would buy a piece of crap car or truck and get full coverage insurance on it. Then he would have someone run into the thing with another piece of crap and collect. Surprisingly enough he never got caught. This woman tried to use her insurance to get away with a crime. Insurance companies pretty much frown upon that. She's mad because she got caught.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

So whats the deal with this Ahole lawyer and his sky is falling video and why is he slandering USCCA. Did he need more than $50K to defend her? People with videos like this need to be called out as liars.

USCCA paid $50K to defend a murderer and when the facts came out they cut her off. I would think that after you paid that kind of money you were fairly represented in a trial. Does anyone think if they paid another $200,000 she would have been innocent? And I know she is hot but if she is was found innocent would you date her?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast