Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 0000 steel wool

(Wayne County)

Default Re: 0000 steel wool

I use 0000 wool for case necks the don*t come completely clean after tumbling.

(Berks County)

You have motivated me. I also just picked up an older Marlin 336 30-30 very cheap that has about the same amount of surface rust/freckling.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    I buy any guns that are "a little rough" when I can get a deal. My favorite "tools" are 0000 steel wool and oxpho blue. If a gun has value potential, I don't use oxpho but always 0000 wool. I have heard some say "oh no, never use 0000 it damages the finish" - I say fooey ! lol. Stuff is awesome. Here's a Marlin lever action I picked up "rough" cheap a few weeks back before and after with 0000 and some good oil. Love seeing deals on surface rust guns

(Carbon County)

I use it to "Card" between rust blue applications and it never took the bluing off.

I have bought some really rough guns cheap. My preferred method on mild rust like in post one is to use a cotton T shirt and oil. I do a very small spot at a time repeatedly flipping the cloth. Then if needed use 0000 wool.

One m1 Carbine I picked up was covered in rust. Fifty bucks was the price set by the owner. Even I was hesitant on this one, but what the hell, I figured. I used 0000 wool, Hoppes oil and a several hours of my time. When it was done, I had a beautiful M1. Eventually a friend pried it from my hands.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    I use 0000 wool for case necks the don*t come completely clean after tumbling.
    Good Idea , I have used brass polish in the past . It works, but it time consuming . Have to try your method !

(Cumberland County)

That's a hell of a deal on an M1! I slightly "refinished" a National Postal Meter M1 carbine several years ago that I picked up. It was one of the last ones CMP was selling. Light 0000 and oil on metal and I used de natured alcohol on stock then lightly used boiled linseen oil. While cleaning the stock, several cartouches came out then some hash marks near the front - wonder what the officer was keeping track of Love thinking about the history of each of my WWII pieces!

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    I have bought some really rough guns cheap. My preferred method on mild rust like in post one is to use a cotton T shirt and oil. I do a very small spot at a time repeatedly flipping the cloth. Then if needed use 0000 wool.

One m1 Carbine I picked up was covered in rust. Fifty bucks was the price set by the owner. Even I was hesitant on this one, but what the hell, I figured. I used 0000 wool, Hoppes oil and a several hours of my time. When it was done, I had a beautiful M1. Eventually a friend pried it from my hands.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Bucks County)

Wow. In all my years, for some reason, I never knew there is 00000 steel wool. Very glad to learn of it!
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Cumberland County)

Same! I looked it up and can only find it in rolls vs pads but that'll work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Wow. In all my years, for some reason, I never knew there is 00000 steel wool. Very glad to learn of it!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Berks County)

Pretty large amount. 125' roll on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/00000-GRADE-E.../dp/B01MCVWUJD

I'll never use that in my lifetime.

Group buy?

(Jefferson County)

You can find it typically in 1, 3, 5, ++ pound orders. It will cut with a pair of scissors, just don't use your wife/girlfriend/both's sewing shears.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast