Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Westmoreland County)

Default Questions about Buck Season this year

Ok, I'm not an avid hunter but I like to go back home (Centre Co.) for the first week of Buck season. Last year, I called some lady at the PGC and she explained to me what I needed to do, etc to get a license for Antlered Deer.

So, When I go to the PGC website, I guess they have an automated system now www.wildlifelicense.com/pa I ran through there and bought the Resident Adult Hunting license for $20 + S&H. I took the following screenshot and it looks like I am covered for Antlered (unless that was an add-on?).

Is it still possible to get doe tags? Am I covered for antlered at least? Did anyone else go through this website to purchase their license? It seems super shitty and unintuitive to me, then again, I'm a noob. Also, what about the different sections of the state. I remember last year, there was something different about Centre Co than my home of Allegheny Co. Are these just restrictions on the deer like number of spikes or do I need a different license?

Thanks for any info you can provide. I just get 1 week a year to play in the woods and I want to make sure I don't miss it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Perry County)

Default Re: Questions about Buck Season this year

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS View Post
    So, When I go to the PGC website, I guess they have an automated system now www.wildlifelicense.com/pa I ran through there and bought the Resident Adult Hunting license for $20 + S&H. I took the following screenshot and it looks like I am covered for Antlered (unless that was an add-on?).
    You're good for Antlered Deer. The general PA hunting license comes with an antlered deer tag.

Is it still possible to get doe tags?
    Not in Centre county unless you're a veteran or trying DMAP. Centre county is split between WMU 2G (where I'll be hunting and coincidentally the first WMU to sell out) and WMU 4D (also a high demand WMU). Both of those WMU's are sold out. If you're a veteran, I'm pretty sure you can still get a tag. You'll have to go to the PGC website to read about DMAP. I'm not too familiar with the inner workings.

Also, what about the different sections of the state. I remember last year, there was something different about Centre Co than my home of Allegheny Co. Are these just restrictions on the deer like number of spikes or do I need a different license?
    Licensing is the same across the state. You'll need to read the 2008 - 2009 Hunting Digest to get the specifics. I do know that in the context of WMU 2G, that a legal buck must have three points to a side. Also in 2G this year, the doe season doesn't begin until Saturday December 6th.

Thanks for any info you can provide. I just get 1 week a year to play in the woods and I want to make sure I don't miss it.
    Welcome to the party. I would suggest either downloading (www.pgc.state.pa.us, and click on the 'Hunting Digest' icon) or going to a shop that does licensing to get the Hunting Digest and give it a good read. It has all of the regulations including orange requirements, antler restrictions, and shooting hours. It's really the PA hunter's bible.