Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default MAK-90 Conversion, help from AK experts

I've got a MAK90 I bought new back in 94. It has the thumbhole stock, devoid of a muzzle brake with turned down barrel, and the bayonet and cleaning rod holders are either ground off or welded shut. I'm finally to the point where I can devote some time to convert this thing back to its intended state. In adding the 'evil' features back to the rifle, keeping in the back of my mind that this needs to be 922r compliant, what I plan to add is:

-USA Wood stock set with the pistol grip (3 compliant parts)
    -USA Trigger set (3 compliant parts)
    -USA piston (1 part)
    -USA slant brake (1 part, but I'm adding this since the orignal wasnt there, so I'm not sure if I need to add something else to negate this 'evil' feature)
    -USA magazines I believe give me 2-3 US complaint parts also

Let me know if my figures above for the complaint parts add up correctly for me being 'legit' with this thing.

Also, I want to add a bayonet. Not one of the older Chinese folding ones, but the more modern ones of the wire cutter variety when coupled to the sheath. To mount this and my cleaning rod, I need to swap out my FSB and GB. Does anybody have any leads on those two items? I'm a member of all the other big AK forums, but I am getting no hits back on those two parts. Getting a Chinese version intact will be near impossible, so I am leaning towards Bulgarian FSB's and GB's.

(Berks County)

Default Re: MAK-90 Conversion, help from AK experts

Hit this web site up and see if they can help you out:

http://www.polytechparts.com/main.html

good luck
    gotta love her ;)

(York County)

Yep, thanks, I hit up Poly-tech yesterday. They have parts I can use, but the majority of the metal parts are Chinese, which doesnt get me pass the 922r compliance part.

I got some info on a few parts. I sent in an order request to Ironwood inquiring about a 4 piece stock set and got a brake on order from a guy up in Mass. I just don't know yet if adding the brake means I have to balance that with another USA part. From my research I will probably get the Tapco FCG and piston.

(Westmoreland County)

If you can't DIY, you're going to need someone to install (rivet) a lower stock tang. The thumbhole stocks don't have (need) one.

(York County)

I'll double check with Ironwood then on the tang and see if he puts in the lower tang cutout or not. (I think he doesnt for MAK's)

I also finally sorted out that I need to swap in 6 US made parts when adding the muzzle brake. (ony 5 needed if I left it off) That number can be reached fairly easy. Now the hard part of finding GB's and FSB to match the bayonet I want and my barrel.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    If you can't DIY, you're going to need someone to install (rivet) a lower stock tang. The thumbhole stocks don't have (need) one.
    It really depends on the model of MAK, and what furniture is being added. Some had slash cut receivers, some didn't. If its a Norinco, its a good chance all he'll have to do is just bolt things on. Some of the other imports required a lot of work to make it like look an AK.

(Jefferson County)

Dont worry about the magazine parts.

Just change the trigger group and furniture. Those will account for 6 parts and bring your import parts down to 9-10 pieces.

US compliant parts in magazines is a waste of money. If you just replace the firearm parts to begin with, you'll never have to worry if you can legally stick that import mag in your gun and be 922(r) compliant.

(York County)

Yep, this is a Norinco with the straight stamped receiver. You know when I first bought this 14 years ago, it has china stamped all over everything, and with anything marked 'made in china' I thought this thing is bottom rung on the AK ladder. After dusting the cobwebs off it and doing some reading up on it, these MAK's seem to have developed a good rep. For being a stamped receiver, it's got some thick metal to it.

I also heard that the AK import mags are better than the USA ones. Any truth to that and if so, which ones to look for? I've got a few 30 rd steel ones I picked up when I got this thing 14 years ago, and I think the mags are damn near industructable.

(York County)

Might as well document what I'll be changing here with some pics. This may take a couple months as I'm building an AR currently, which has priority over the AK.

Start with the regular neutered MAK-90 circa 1994:

Norinco stamp along with importers engraving, also showing what a square receiver MAK looks like since many came over as slanted receivers I believe:

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    Yep, this is a Norinco with the straight stamped receiver. You know when I first bought this 14 years ago, it has china stamped all over everything, and with anything marked 'made in china' I thought this thing is bottom rung on the AK ladder. After dusting the cobwebs off it and doing some reading up on it, these MAK's seem to have developed a good rep. For being a stamped receiver, it's got some thick metal to it.

I also heard that the AK import mags are better than the USA ones. Any truth to that and if so, which ones to look for? I've got a few 30 rd steel ones I picked up when I got this thing 14 years ago, and I think the mags are damn near industructable.
    I had a Norc MAK-90 too. It had the upper shoulder stock tang and wasn't slash cut receiver and original AK parts worked(with minor fitting). You will need a longer grip bolt to fit any of the aftermarket pistol grips.

mil-surp mags are the best in my opinion. Those $4-$8 flat black oxide/parkerized magazine are what the other nations use with their armed forces. ....why - because they are cheap and because they work. No reason to switch to anything else - well, unless you like wasting money and are concerned with looks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast