Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Kydex/Fobus/Plasticky Holsters?

My normal carry gun is a Colt Pony. (Kel-Tec P32 when it's hot)
    I carry those two in nylon IWB holsters and it works well for me.

I may begin carrying my Glock 19 on occasion and since I won't be able to carry IWB, I have a question about the "plastic" holsters.

Do they cause any wear to the finish of the pistol?
    I've always liked leather but due to all of the disasters around the house lately, purchasing a quality leather holster isn't an option.

Here's what I'm thinking... Feel free to offer advice as I usually learn of something I hadn't considered from these posts.

1. I may try IPSIC/Practical Shooting at my range sometime in the near future.

2. I would like a holster to carry the Glock while taking a walk in the evening. (I'm right handed, Dog heels on the left)
    Note: right now, it's more likely that I'll use it for this than for IPSIC but who knows?

3. I rarely wear belts, so I'm thinking Paddle holster.

4. The only time I'm likely to carry the Glock away from home is in Fall/Winter when clothing allows it to be covered, so being "tight" to the body isn't a major concern but would be a plus.

Here are two that I found using a quick search so far... (Fobus & Galco)
    https://secure.fobusholster.com/cata...roducts_id=488

http://www.impactguns.com/store/GAL-AP-.html

Any input/advice is appreciated. I know that what works for you may not be right for me, but it will give me an idea of where to start.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Kydex/Fobus/Plasticky Holsters?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    My normal carry gun is a Colt Pony. (Kel-Tec P32 when it's hot)
    I carry those two in nylon IWB holsters and it works well for me.

I may begin carrying my Glock 19 on occasion and since I won't be able to carry IWB, I have a question about the "plastic" holsters.

I've always liked leather but due to all of the disasters around the house lately, purchasing a quality leather holster isn't an option.

Here's what I'm thinking... Feel free to offer advice as I usually learn of something I hadn't considered from these posts.

1. I may try IPSIC/Practical Shooting at my range sometime in the near future.

2. I would like a holster to carry the Glock while taking a walk in the evening. (I'm right handed, Dog heels on the left)
    Note: right now, it's more likely that I'll use it for this than for IPSIC but who knows?

3. I rarely wear belts, so I'm thinking Paddle holster.

4. The only time I'm likely to carry the Glock away from home is in Fall/Winter when clothing allows it to be covered, so being "tight" to the body isn't a major concern but would be a plus.

Here are two that I found using a quick search so far... (Fobus & Galco)
    https://secure.fobusholster.com/cata...roducts_id=488

http://www.impactguns.com/store/GAL-AP-.html

Any input/advice is appreciated. I know that what works for you may not be right for me, but it will give me an idea of where to start.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    Leather is pretty. Kydex works.

If you train, if you draw and reholster one handed (and if you don't, you should) kydex is the way to go. Your dog heels on the left. If you're a right handed then strong side carry is not an issue. If IPSC is on your mind that will be in keeping with the techniques you will be trying.

Paddle holsters are convenient but you are going to need a belt. The trousers won't hold the pistol without sagging enough to make it uncomfortable.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Perry County)

I have a Fobus holster for my Taurus model 85 .38 and I love it! If they made it for my FNP-9M, I would be buying one of those too. I'm going to e-mail them again to see if there is any possibility of them manufacturing them in the future. If not, I'm going to look at other kydex paddle holsters.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Berks County)

Why won't you be able to IWB with the 19? I have one and have no problem with IWB.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

I'd go with leather.

I have one on order simply because leather holsters don't break as easy as kydex.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    Why won't you be able to IWB with the 19? I have one and have no problem with IWB.
    Because I'm not buying new jeans that are too big to wear without the pistol tucked in there.

I wear jeans that fit without the need for a belt and the Colt Pony/thin IWB nylon holster combo is about as large as I personally could carry IWB COMFORTABLY.

Daily, TOTALLY CONCEALED carry isn't my PRIMARY concern for the Glock as I don't think I could pull it off well. I'm not a big guy and although the G19 is called a compact model, in my mind, it's not very compact.
    I mainly want something that I can quickly slip on (paddle?) for my walks around the neighborhood where I'm not as concerned with concealment as I am with having the larger caliber weapon handy. It sucks that I need to be more concerned for my safety near home than when I'm out and about, but that's the way it is.

Hope that clears it up a little more.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jmateer View Post
    I'd go with leather.

I have one on order simply because leather holsters don't break as easy as kydex.
    Leather is cool. It can be downright beautiful. But perspiring through the hide for a couple of hot summer days will turn a leather holster into over-done macaroni. Reholstering becomes a two handed chore. The moisture is retained in the holster for days. The salts in sweat acts on the metals and causes rust.

The rest of the year it's not so bad. But it is better to carry the same way every day.
    Never underestimate the value of early training.

(Schuylkill County)

I like both and use both all my leather is Kramer Horse Hide and all my Kydex is from Blade Tech, the Kydex with with time wear on the finish of you gun and so will leather. Kydex is thinner and wont collapes on you.

(Berks County)

Because I'm not buying new jeans that are too big to wear without the pistol tucked in there.
    Well that makes sense, I thought that you just felt that it wasn't possible, my bad. I have a couple of the Blackhawk Kydex paddles and I find them to be both comfortable and secure. I also have a couple of Galco paddles that I use in cooler weather. Good luck finding something that you like.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

I don't think I could pull it off well. I'm not a big guy and although the G19 is called a compact model, in my mind, it's not very compact.
    I'm not a big guy by any means, and I can conceal a G17 perfectly, and I can make a G19 vanish on my person. I can understand not wanting to buy more pants to fit with the holster. You should look at a nice pancake type holster of you want to conceal OWB.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast