Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Kydex/Fobus/Plasticky Holsters?

I'm reading these and I'm picking up bits of info here and there.
    Gotta run. I'll check back later today.

-Emptymag
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Like all things, kydex vs leather has points in both directions. Note first that kydex is superior to plastic (they are not the same material), so right off the bat, I'd say exclude plastic:

1. For drenchingly humid summer days when you'll be out all day, kydex is preferable.

2. A leather scabbard OWB will hold the gun just a little tighter in than any kydex OWB. So there's a drop of extra concealability.

3. Leather holsters are of course stronger than kydex so leather is better in a retention struggle. But for CCW, IMO this is fairly moot. Retention struggles for normal CCW carry are extremely rare. ETA: actually it's not that leather per se is stronger than kydex, it's that kydex holsters are held together ultimately by tiny screws.

4. Kydex is much quieter. For some people with certain builds and body shapes, leather holsters make a rubbing sound when you walk. Kydex never does.

5. For IWB, it's a matter of personal preference. The leather IWB conforms to the body better, so adds comfort that way -- but the kydex IWB is thinner so the reduced distance between body and belt adds comfort in that way. Since retention is moot for IWB, this is truly a "try and see" sort of decision.

6. Any decent leather holster will allow one-handed reholstering, especially for OWB (and really, even for IWB too).

7. I wouldn't say kydex is "faster" to draw from, but it's "easier" in the sense that leather is more grabby and gradual in the release. Kydex releases via a definitive and instantaneous click. IIRC, most shooting competitors use kydex, which indicates something.

8. Pretty much all kydex OWB are held together by screws, which can come loose over time -- so there's a little PM involved there.

9. I've read that kydex mars the gun's finish less than leather since kydex is harder and thus does not imbed dirt and grit. Of course the place I read this was from kydex holster manufacturers, so ....
    Last edited by dgg9; March 16th, 2007 at 11:39 AM.

(Allegheny County)

hey emptymag...

one thing to watch out for with the fobus paddle holsters at least is that, if you don't wear a belt, when you draw, the holster comes along for the ride...or at least mine does.

the holster provides retention by gripping the gun pretty tightly. you really need a belt to hold the holster in place (even with the paddle tucked into your pants) or you end up just pulling the holster outta yer pants instead of the gun outta the holster.

can't really comment on whether or not it marks up the slide...my g17 waas a police trade-in, so it already had lots of holster wear on the slide when i got it...i haven't really paid much attention to whether there is more than there used to be.

it is a cheap holster (i think i paid $20 at gander mountain) that works well as long as you have a belt on, though.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    hey emptymag...

one thing to watch out for with the fobus paddle holsters at least is that, if you don't wear a belt, when you draw, the holster comes along for the ride...or at least mine does.
    Thta's really odd. My Fobus paddle holster stays SNUG when I pull the gun out. I usually wear it with jeans and it has a "lip", for lack of a better term, which grips the waist seam inside the jeans. Mine holds very securely. I wear snug (not tight) jeans and I usually have to un-button in order to remove it.

Dave G.
    Dave G.

"Gun control has not worked in D.C. The only people who have guns are criminals. We have the strictest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. It's quicker to pull your Smith & Wesson than to dial 911 if you're being robbed."

-Lieutenant Lowell Duckett, Special Assistant to DC Police Chief; President, Black Police Caucus, The Washington Post, March 22, 1996

FN Herstal FNP-9M 9mm compact
    Taurus model 85 .38 special

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by dmg1969 View Post
    I usually wear it with jeans and it has a "lip", for lack of a better term, which grips the waist seam inside the jeans. Mine holds very securely. I wear snug (not tight) jeans and I usually have to un-button in order to remove it.
    mine has that lip, too. maybe the difference is that i wear looser pants.

(Lawrence County)

I use an Uncle Mike's for IDPA with my Eclipse and it hasn't shown wear over thousands of draws. Just don't let them get dusty. The grit is what scratches.

That being said, Bladetech makes great holsters and the one for my Steyr is impressive.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a fobus holster for my Glock 30, I honestly love it. It is a great holster the only problem with it is seeing that it is hard plastic and has to stretch out for your gun to fit in, causing the gun to rattle a little bit. It is a great holster though and keeps close to your body but it does hang out a little bit underneath of my shirts and such. I suggest bulky clothing.

(Allegheny County)

OK, I'm back.

Had to go Downtown, which sucks, but I got to grab a Double Egg and Cheese Primanti Bros. sandwich which doesn't suck, but now I feel like I need the larger size jeans which sucks!

Anyway, I've read these posts and going back to my original post and reading the question in bold, I think I have leaned that Kydex does AND does not cause wear to the gun finish!
    I have also learned that a paddle holster WILL stay on my hip when I draw and also that it WILL NOT stay on my hip when I draw!

Ha! Ha!

I do know that leather will leave marks on the pistol over time, I was just wondering if the Kydex style material would be WORSE?
    My simple brain always said "put that back, it's hard "plastic" and your gun will get scratched up."
    Am I wrong?

One more question about the Kydex style PADDLE holsters...
    Do they have a slot for a BELT TOO? or is it Paddle OR belt for wearing these types of holsters?

Thanks for all the input thus far!
    (Ha! I used the word "thus" - Like that's gonna make you think I'm edgeukaytid!)
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    My normal carry gun is a Colt Pony. (Kel-Tec P32 when it's hot)
    I carry those two in nylon IWB holsters and it works well for me.

I may begin carrying my Glock 19 on occasion and since I won't be able to carry IWB, I have a question about the "plastic" holsters.

Do they cause any wear to the finish of the pistol?
    I've always liked leather but due to all of the disasters around the house lately, purchasing a quality leather holster isn't an option.

Here's what I'm thinking... Feel free to offer advice as I usually learn of something I hadn't considered from these posts.

1. I may try IPSIC/Practical Shooting at my range sometime in the near future.

2. I would like a holster to carry the Glock while taking a walk in the evening. (I'm right handed, Dog heels on the left)
    Note: right now, it's more likely that I'll use it for this than for IPSIC but who knows?

3. I rarely wear belts, so I'm thinking Paddle holster.

4. The only time I'm likely to carry the Glock away from home is in Fall/Winter when clothing allows it to be covered, so being "tight" to the body isn't a major concern but would be a plus.

Here are two that I found using a quick search so far... (Fobus & Galco)
    https://secure.fobusholster.com/cata...roducts_id=488

http://www.impactguns.com/store/GAL-AP-.html

Any input/advice is appreciated. I know that what works for you may not be right for me, but it will give me an idea of where to start.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    The fobus is a nice holster and is very inexpensive. I wear a Blackhawk serpa paddle almost all the time when wearing a jacket or heavyweight shirt. I rides relatively close to the body and the new paddle design is stable and very secure. When I need closer concealment, I use a Kramer belt scabbard which is great. I use a serpa with my Glock 19 and Kimber Custom II and the Kramer belt scabbard with both also. The serpas are carbon fiber and all in all, more practical than leather. I used to use a fobus and really liked it until I got the blackhawk which seems to be built a little better. Nothing wrong with the fobus though.

(York County)

As far as finish wear goes, I don't know, I don't really pay attention. I actually kinda like the "used" look when the finish wears. Kinda like the faded cammie "salty" look everyone wanted when I was in the Marines I guess.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast