Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: Kydex/Fobus/Plasticky Holsters?

I have a Glock 19 too, and bought a Fobus paddle holster at Gander Mtn because I needed one in a hurry for a Utah CCW class and another Defensive Pistol class and the online places couldn't deliver in time.

I almost bought a Serpa - ok, I DID buy a Serpa but had to return it, because the store ordered a bunch of left-handed ones by mistake. The package wasn't very well marked and I didn't realize it until I got into my car, opened the package, and tried putting the Glock in it! I was really disappointed because it was a really nice holster.

Anyway, back into the store I go (just as it was closing!) to trade in the lefty Serpa for a righty Fobus. The Fobus is REALLY comfortable, because the paddle is wide and curved to conform to your hip. But the design of the holster holds it away from your body. It's ok for under a jacket, fleece, sweatshirt, etc., but sticks out a bit too far for warm weather wear under a T-shirt.

The instructor at my class let me borrow a JSHolsters paddle holster http://www.jsholsters.com which was formed from one piece of kydex, including the paddle part. So it can't be broken apart like that Fobus video. Also, the paddle part is actually curved OPPOSITE the curve of your hip. At first I thought it was supposed to be IWB, but I was informed the opposite curve served to hold the gun closer to the body for better concealment. Sure enough, it did, even with a not-so-good belt (since replaced with a Beltman gunbelt).

So I ordered the JS paddle holster from the website for $50, along with some other items. Then JS himself emailed me to tell me he forgot that people who took the class (offered thru his web site) were entitled to a 40 percent discount, which he applied.

Great products, great classes, great service!

(Allegheny County)

rmarkob,
    Thanks for the great info!

So you like that JSHolsters paddle? Does it really hold the gun close?
    I have a Fobus Roto, Paddle that came with my G27 and it does stick out a bit farther than the SERPA I have for my G19. My initial intention was to carry the G19 when I could cover it well (jacket/denim shirt), but now that I have the G27, I'd consider something that carries a little closer to the body.

That website doesn't go into much detail... How securely does it hold your Glock? Is it easy to draw? I ask because I don't like the way you have to "jerk" the pistol to get it out of the Fobus.

Man, I never expected this thread to be so useful to so many when I started it! Thanks again to all that have shared info, links and opinions!

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

I've got one Kydex holster. It's a comp-tac. I wish I could tell you the exact holster, but the fine holster makers at comp-tac did a wonderful thing for me. As a female who is a little particular when it comes to my holsters, they threw together about three different holsters to make the one I wanted.

I LOVE IT! It's a drop belt holster with a speed cut. My Kimber Ultra CDP draws from it like a hot knife through warm butter.

While I love my leather holsters for their comfort, I as equally love my Kydex for its easy of drawing and reholstering quickly and almost effortlessly.

I'm in the market (as they say) for another Kydex belt holster that is not a drop so that it is more concealable. I have a feeling it will have a regular place on my belt.

So far, no wear on my gun and it's the only holster I wear at home.

Good luck in your search.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    rmarkob,
    Thanks for the great info!

So you like that JSHolsters paddle? Does it really hold the gun close?
    I have a Fobus Roto, Paddle that came with my G27 and it does stick out a bit farther than the SERPA I have for my G19. My initial intention was to carry the G19 when I could cover it well (jacket/denim shirt), but now that I have the G27, I'd consider something that carries a little closer to the body.

That website doesn't go into much detail... How securely does it hold your Glock? Is it easy to draw? I ask because I don't like the way you have to "jerk" the pistol to get it out of the Fobus.

Man, I never expected this thread to be so useful to so many when I started it! Thanks again to all that have shared info, links and opinions!

Yeah, I like the JS paddle. It's only 1/2 inch from the side of the gun to my skin at the top of the holster, where the Fobus is 1 1/8 inches. And that reverse curve really HOLDS it in, because the outer edges are leveraged against the stiff gun belt. Also, the Fobus "leans" away from your body at the top. The JS is snug to the body from grip to muzzle (which is completely within the holster for both models).

The Kydex on the JS is much thinner than the molded plastic of the Fobus (it may be Kydex too, but it's definitely thicker sheets if it is), but it has two similar screws that sit forward of the trigger guard. But on the JS, the spacers look to be made of some kind of rubber tubing, so you can tighten or loosen them for the ideal amount of friction. I guess the Fobus screws are adjustable too, but the spacers appear to be made of a harder plastic or rubber.

The depression that fits into the trigger guard is much more pronounced on the Fobus, so it goes in with more of a "click". The JS depression is shallower, with less abrupt curves, so the fit and release are smoother, more gradual, less snappy. The JS also has very slight depressions above the trigger where the takedown levers are, to aid in retention. The Fobus does not.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910