Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default which tasco 3-9x40?

In my last thread, some people recommended the tasco 3-9x40 for my ruger 10/22 rifle. Which model should I get? There are so many different versions of the scope. What is the difference between "matte" and "mil dot"? Tasco also has world class, hunting and pronghorn versions of the exact same scope. Which one do I go with? I don't want to spend more than $50 on a scope. I want a scope that will allow me to clearly see a squirrel 100 yards away. Do any of these fit the bill?

http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=12262776...ce=50&x=6&y=11

Also, if you do have a specific version that you want to recommend, what is the best place to get it? There are so many online distributors. I would have to spend a couple of hours on the computer to look through all of the different distributors. Does anyone have suggestions?

(Venango County)

Default Re: which tasco 3-9x40?

Matte is a dull finish, instead of a shiny 'Normal" one
    Mil Dot is a scope that uses a dot in the center instead of cross hairs
    More money = Better Scope normally....100 yards, any of those will be fine....
    as you get farther out the better class of scopes will shine

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(York County)

Any cheap little tasco will do just fine for the 10-22, but i would pick a power and stay with that power, if you want to see squirrels at 100 yds, sight in with the scope on 9 power and LEAVE IT. If you switch powers there is a good chance (on the low end scopes) that your point of impact will change, and when you go back to 9 power your zero will probably be off, thats one of the specs. on the high end scopes that you dont have to worry about...also are you planning on squirrel hunting in PA? if so dunno if the 10-22 will fit the bill
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Lawrence County)

For a .22 you MUST have an adjustable objective. To shoot under 50 yards and get a nice focus you need that.

Lycansuggestionthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by markheck1 View Post
    Matte is a dull finish, instead of a shiny 'Normal" one
    Mil Dot is a scope that uses a dot in the center instead of cross hairs
    More money = Better Scope normally....100 yards, any of those will be fine....
    as you get farther out the better class of scopes will shine
    I'm not trying to bust Mark's balls, but the information provided there is actually incorrect. A mil-dot is a type of reticle that still DOES have the cross hairs but additional marks on the cross hairs.

This is what a mil-dot generation 1 reticle looks like. They can have several uses, they can be used to range distances, and the dots can be used for hold over/under, and windage adjustment holds. For paper, they're not an ideal reticle, especially if you're shooting very fine paper targets; in the field, they're my favorite reticle by far. There is the "army" mil-dots, and "marine" mil-dots. The army uses the round dots, the marine uses the ovals/footballs. They are very similar, just have slightly different way of measuring. Hope that helps clarify the mil-dot thing.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I'm not trying to bust Mark's balls, but the information provided there is actually incorrect. A mil-dot is a type of reticle that still DOES have the cross hairs but additional marks on the cross hairs.

This is what a mil-dot generation 1 reticle looks like. They can have several uses, they can be used to range distances, and the dots can be used for hold over/under, and windage adjustment holds. For paper, they're not an ideal reticle, especially if you're shooting very fine paper targets; in the field, they're my favorite reticle by far. There is the "army" mil-dots, and "marine" mil-dots. The army uses the round dots, the marine uses the ovals/footballs. They are very similar, just have slightly different way of measuring. Hope that helps clarify the mil-dot thing.
    So for paper targets and small game, is the mil dot reticle the best? Or would the crosshair reticle be the best? I also saw some scopes with a "30/30 reticle". What's the deal with those? Are the marine/army mill dot scopes the ones that only have a dot in the center (without any crosshairs)?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    So for paper targets and small game, is the mil dot reticle the best? Or would the crosshair reticle be the best? I also saw some scopes with a "30/30 reticle". What's the deal with those? Are the marine/army mill dot scopes the ones that only have a dot in the center (without any crosshairs)?
    No...the mil dot scopes look like what Tomcat posted. The "mil dots" are the dots on the crosshairs as shown. They are used for ranging targets.

The 30/30 reticle is a duplex crosshair....thicker on the outside and then a thinner set on the inside.

For hunting all you need is an adjustable objective scope that is clear. Duplex or mil dot is fine, but I don't think you will utilize the mil dot reticle with the .22 very much. Your hunting shots should be mostly be inside 100 yards.

Lycanaddingpicsthrope

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    No...the mil dot scopes look like what Tomcat posted. The "mil dots" are the dots on the crosshairs as shown. They are used for ranging targets.

The 30/30 reticle is a duplex crosshair....thicker on the outside and then a thinner set on the inside.

For hunting all you need is an adjustable objective scope that is clear. Duplex or mil dot is fine, but I don't think you will utilize the mil dot reticle with the .22 very much. Your hunting shots should be mostly be inside 100 yards.

Lycanaddingpicsthrope
    Ok, are the prices on the website that I listed good? Or are there cheaper distributors?

Um, I'm not trying to be rude or tacky, just honest. I doubt that you will find many scopes under $50 or right at it. I haven't looked at models like what you're looking at, so I can't honetsly tell you if anybody sells them cheaper, but that's pretty dang cheap. The first thing that you should do, is decide on a scope model and features, and then we can check out our favorite distributors and kind of give you a heads up, and how much who some of us like, has the scope for.

(Lawrence County)

Go look at the scopes at www.midwayusa.com

Lycanbetterstuffthrope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast