Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Background Check

Newbie to the board, and newbie to owning a firearm.
    Well, actually, I have not purchased. Yet. After going to my local shop when it came to the background check they asked if I had ever been arrested. I have a few times.
    Maybe 16 or 17 years ago as a minor for a charge I believe was dropped after completing probation successfully in another state.
    Maybe 15 years ago, an underage drinking charge and possession of marijuana charge. Both I believe were citations, and in another state.
    About 13 years ago for non-violent, non-firearm, non-drug type of offenses. To be honest, in the end, I can't remember what I plead to. I know in the end I was never charge with a felony and it was in another state.
    Maybe 6 years ago I was charged with criminal trespass in another state and a trespass charge in PA 4 or 5 years ago.
    The guy at the gun charge asked me if I had been arrested and I assumed he meant in PA. When I ran my own Criminal Record Check in PA it came back as No Criminal Record in PA. He said if I have ever been arrested for anything that I could have gotten over a year of probabtion, it is a problem. I am unsure of how to proceed or what I need to divulge. He said if I am denied, once a year the Feds come to take all his denials and follow up on if anyone tried to falsify their app and are prosecuting people.
    This all seems odd because I was under the impression the shop[ does a background check on me, and then approves or denies me (which I understand there is a way to appeal a denil, possibly via the NRA?). Not that I did my own background check and approve or deny myself.

Can anyone shed any light or provide any more information? And not to sound... however this may sound. But I would appreciate working knowledge, not speculation. I feel like I am having a hard time finding out the facts, and this is an area I would prefer not to just hope to be right about.

Thank you for your time.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Background Check

Be truthful in your backround. On the 4473 form, Federal Form, there are boxes which require honest answers. If you indicate a criminal record where the offense could of offered a punishment of at least 1 year, you will probably if not likely be denied. I don't know if the gun store owner will even bother running a backround check and advise you that you are ineligible or he will go thru the motions of a backround check. You cannot be arrested for honesty on these forms, unless you are a fugitive. If denied, contact an attorney to research the possiblity of an appeal.
    I knew a gun store owner that was initially denied an FFL for DUI conviction. Appeal was made, the ATF granted the license.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Background Check

if you were charged with a crime that exceeds 1yr in jail time, not time you may or may not have been sentenced to then you will be denied and will have to file an appeal. not probably or likely 110%