Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: "license" to buy ammo at Wal-Mart

I've been carded at Wal mart before and they ALWAYS make me pay in the ammo dept.

(Centre County)

you can'r even buy a pistol ammo at warmart in NY unless you produce pistol permit anymore.
    Back when I lived in NY7 years ago, I had Winchester model 94 in .357mag. Back then I had no issues getting ammo at warmart(still had to show my ID tho).

Now, if you live in NY, have rifle in pistol caliber, but don't have pistol lisence, how do you supposed to get an ammo for it?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lancaster County)

The first time I bought ammo for my 9mm at the walmart on fruitville pike the cash register was beeping and got him flustered. Asked what it was for. Then never scanned the second box. I got a free box. I always go there to see if that guy will make the same mistake twice.

(Chester County)

I'm 53 and got carded at Dicks for a freaking box of .22LR
    Dead center from 300 yards! a moment of clarity.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    "And that 'swiping in the license' crap...the very first thing I do is wipe the stripe when I get a new license. I used to change it to display a slightly profane message, but found out that reprogramming it is illegal...although wiping it isn't. "
    Just out of curiosity, what info is contained on the stripe and how would one go about wiping it clean?
    Exactly the info that's on the front of the card. Nothing more:
    Code:
    %PAPITTSBURGH^KOCH$ANDREW$ALAN^1109 G***** AVE$^?;636025********=101019791001=?
    I put *'s over my personal info.

The coded info (636025) describes my license class (Class A CDL) my endorsements (Air Brakes) and my Restrictions (Corrective Lenses) the *'s after that is my DL number as displayed on the front.

The Dates after the equal sign are the expiration date (10/2010) and my birth date (1979-10-01)

... Oh and the bar code on the back has exactly the same info...

As for wiping it, just get it near those demagnetizer pads for security tags at a store a few times while they are active, or zap it with a bulk tape eraser. Any high-frequency electromagnetic field will do the trick. Unfortunately a static magnet (like a refrigerator magnet or the like) isn't enough to wipe them.
    Last edited by lildobe; January 21st, 2009 at 08:56 PM.

(York County)

Well, not necessarily pertaining to Wal-Mart, but I went to Dick's today to burn up a gift card from Christmas. I don't usually like to shop there and rarely do. I figured ammo would be my best bet. I didn't have a lot of time to spend and noticed they keep all of their handgun and rifle ammo behind the counter. There was only one guy back there and several people in line. The only thing out on the shelves were shotgun shells. So I grabbed a 100rd Value-pack of 12 gauge shells for trap and a box of clay targets. Carried it up to the register and the girl rang it up. This was in MD so I fully expected to be asked for at least ID. She asked for it only after swiping my CC so out of curiousity I strategically placed my finger over the birthdate to see if she was checking name or age. She said thanks and never checked the age and I walked out with my stuff. Apparently shotgun shells aren't considered nearly as dangerous? Wouldn't surprise me - goes along with the rest of the backwards thinking in MD.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" -- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I actually am very familiar with the company in question, in particular a store in NY, with very close ties to the sporting goods department.

Identification is only required by someone buying ammuntion if they think that you may not be old enough to buy it, they get yahoo kids that come in and try to get ammo all the time, they've even caught fake ID's.

Inventory items are 'flagged', such as certain ammunition are flagged to ask "Is ammuntion for rifle or handgun" obviously you can just say rifle and only be required to be eighteen to purchase the ammuntion.

The other flag that ammunition can be tagged with is one that says: "Is customer 21." I've found that recently more and more ammuntion is being tagged with this one, it only applies to handgun ammuntion, and than proceeds to ask for a pistol permit, and if you don't have one, even if the ammo is for a rifle, the sale is refused,

Those involved in the process find it annoying and stupid, but follow it because losing your job over something as small as that isn't worth it.

Smile Re: "license" to buy ammo at Wal-Mart

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I've bought ammo in 3 different Wal Marts up here and you don't even pay for it at the ammo counter. Throw it in the wagon and pay for it with the rest of your stuff, like a grocery item. (well isn't it)

I was asked once when buying handgun ammo....."is this for a handgun". My reply was "I dunno".

Ah, living up in the NW is.....well....paradise.

Buying ammo in Wal Mart, for the gun you're O/Cing in Wal Mart, priceless.
    B"H

Ha Ha like a grocery item. That was funny. Same thing happened to me at dicks sporting in wilkes-barre.

I was recently asked for ID at the Bristol, PA. walmart while purchasing 12g ammo. That was a first. And at Dick's the fellow in front of me was asked for ID and he questioned it. He was told that to stop NJ residents from buying illegal ammo in PA the store ID's and if your from NJ you must produce a NJ permit to buy the ammo. Not a carry permit, an ammo purchase permit. Then I proceed to pick up some 3" and 3 1/2" shells, take it to the front and was asked for nothing but my money.

(Allegheny County)

I bought a brick of .22LR the other day and the cashier glanced at me, glanced at my Glock, and said "Well, I guess you're over 18 then, huh." and kept on going without skipping a beat.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast