Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default WTB: Short Action or Magnum Short Action rifle

I'm looking to build a new custom rifle in .243 AI or .300 WSM. I would prefer to buy a Remington Model 700, but if I come across a Winchester Model 70 or weatherby that someone wants to sell for a good price, I'd be game. Honestly, I don't care if the stock is beat all to hell, or the barrel has a 90 degree turn in it, I want the rifle for the action. That means if you're trying to get rid of a gorgeous well kept gun that you'd like to get alot of money for, that's not what I need and I can't offer you what you want for it. I'll be putting a new barrel and stock on the gun, and I just need the action to build the gun off of. For those of you who aren't really familiar with short action and long action terms, rifles like the .223, .243, and most .308's are going to be short actions. Long actions are rifles like the 7mm Mag, 30-06, or .300 winchester magnum. The last is the Magnum short action, and will be calibers like the .223 WSM, .243 WSM, .300 WSM. Hope that helps and if I don't reply to a post someone makes, please drop me a PM because it means that I missed it.
    Last edited by Tomcat088; March 20th, 2007 at 06:03 AM.

Default Re: WTB: Short Action or Magnum Short Action rifle

I wanted to elaborate a little bit for those of you who might be a bit confused by the term "magnum short action rifle". The Remington 700's and the Model 70's are a rather newer offering in .300 WSM, so they can be hard to find on something that's not a new gun. There are some older short action rifles though that came with a "magnum bolt face". Standard bolt faces for short action rifles like the .243, .308 etc is .473" and for magnums the bolt face is a .532" diameter. So if your bolt face on a short action rifle is the same size as a magnum action then you rifle is what I'm looking for, lol. Maybe that'll help a little. Anyway, if not, maybe someone learned something from the post, lol.

(Carbon County)

I still have this rifle in my possession. It has been shot in for 100 yards. It would be a great rifle for those wide open places in texas. you have a wonderful state there i visited last july thru august from austin to dallas to houston to lufkin and other places in between.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's a beautiful rifle, although it's not the action that I'm looking for. Also, the gun sounds like it's in awesome condition, so I definately can't pay you what you'd want for it. I'm looking for a beater piece of crap rifle, with a good action, so I can build a custom rifle from it. I would take the stock off, take the barrel off, and basically throw them away, which would not do this rifle justice. If I wanted to spend $800-900 on a stock rifle, I would buy a remington 700 Sendero, sorry, just not what I'm looking for.

Bump, just in case someone who sees this now has one they want to get rid of. Also, just so people know that I'm still looking for one, lol.

(Berks County)

I have a Remington Model 700... Box says BDL, but I'm not sure if thats correct.
    Cal: 300 Ultra Mag
    Stock: Synthetic Black
    Barrel: Stainless Steel
    Condition: NEW IN BOX!
    Never Been Shot: Cabela's says $729, but entertain me .

Howdy burton, I believe that you're loooking at a Remington 700 SPS stainless, like this http://www.remington.com/products/fi...less_specs.asp. Most of the BDL's come with a wood stock, although you can get other variations. I'm not trying to bust on what Cabela's is trying to sell one for, but I can get a Sendero, which is this rifle, http://www.remington.com/products/fi...F_II_specs.asp, for what Cabela's is trying to sell that SPS. I will admit though, most people can't get that kind of a deal.

I'm not looking to buy a new rifle, simply because I'm going to tear the one that I get apart. I'd rather not buy a $550-700 gun just to tear it apart and put a $400 barrel and $450 stock on it. That's why I'm looking to find a "beater" 700 that has a good action, so that I'm not taking as big of a hit in the action for the rifle. I already purachased a Remington 700 BDL, but one of the older rifles, the "pre 64's" that you hear alot of people talk about, but I'd really rather not tear that one apart if I can help it.

(Berks County)

I know what you mean about Cabela's. Thats just the only place I've gotten a quote from. I can't find a place to look up the serial number to ID what the rifle actually is (BDL,XCR, etc etc.) But the box says BDL. I just thought I'd mention it.

That's cool, and I appreciate the information. I know sometimes from a store, the person just throws the rifle in whatever Remington 700 box they find, or stuff like that. I just personally haven't seen any Remintong 700 bdl's that came with a synthetic stock and stainless, unless they were sps.