Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Long Range Rifle

I am wondering what cal., make and model your long range hunting rifle is and why you picked it....

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Long Range Rifle

I don't hunt with this rifle, but it is my rifle of choice for long range shooting.
    C. Sharps Arms Model 1874 Boss gun in .45-90.
    I shoot this rifle in black powder rifle cartridge silhoutte matches out to 800 yards.
    The only hunting I do is groundhogs. My "long range" rifle is a Calhoon .19-223, built on a CZ 527 with a PacNor Super match heavy fluted 26" barrel. Leupold 8.5-25X50 30mm VXIII. I have shot and killed chucks to a little over 500 yards with this rifle.

Jeff
    Last edited by Pukindog; March 15th, 2007 at 08:54 AM. Reason: forgot my name

(Berks County)

My hunting arm is a Ruger 77 MK2 in .308,(Bushnell sportview scope) bought it new in 95 or so, Mauser based action, rifle fit me well so I bought it and like it a lot.

As far as picking .308, well there are many, many and many choices of loads for it.

I reload and can build up a round to take care of just about anything or any range I wish to shoot at. If you don't reload there still are many types of commercial .308 to chooose from to accomodate your needs. Being one of the more popular rounds (also 30-06 for example) also lends to a bit of a cheaper price for ammo compared to some of the less common wildcats and magnum calibers.

My daughter hunts with a .243, Savage (real nice) , if I was in the market for another hunting rifle I would probably start looking at what Savage has to offer in .308 or 06 myself.

My .02
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Tioga County)

I have a sporterized M-1917 Enfield in .30-06 with a Redfield scope. I have always liked the .30-06 for one reason, it is about the most versatile round to reload. Far more choices of bullets and powders. Also the range is about perfect for a Non Magnum caliber. A lot of people in this forum would frown if they saw my rifle collection, most of them are sporterized rifles, one is a bad hack job but can be fixed. I got all of my rifles like this and they work well.
    Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies.

The only way the Gov't will get my guns is if they fight me for them.

Wasn't born in P.A., But I am a proud resident now!

I don't hunt, so I'm free to buy & use whatever I can afford. The first dedicated long range rifle I owned was an SVD. I didn't get a lot of range time with it since the 7N1 ammunition it uses (what we would call "match grade") was really hard to find. There isn't a big selection of 0.311" diameter bullets, either and reloadable 7.62x54R brass is expensive. Despite this, I never ran out of ammo and it always shot extremely well. I don't believe it's legal to hunt with this rifle.

Next was a Remington 700P in 300 Win Mag/Leupold 49208. I chose 300WM because I was already reloading 30-06 & 308 and I already had the reloading gear and bullets. All I needed was the 300WM-specific stuff like the casings and dies. This was a real winner. It shoots flat for the first few hundred yards and hits hard. The report is noticeably louder than a 308 or 30-06, it makes pressure waves in the grass radiate outward from the muzzle when it discharges.

About the time I get this junior anti-tank rifle up & running, I fell into a LOT of...you guessed it...7N1. I'll probably return it to service as a training rifle for my daughters later this year, as it's recoil is very mild and the 4x PSO scope has a good field of view.

300 WM has a bit of a push, and uses 70 grains of powder per pop. It also gets hot fast, making it necessary to bring toy guns to shoot while waiting for the 300WM to cool off. .308 will make a nice range queen for the aspiring shooters, so I got another 700P in 308. Plus, I keep hearing good things about 700 short actions. I don't have a scope for it yet.

(Bedford County)

7mm STW in a post 64' Winchester Model 70.

Why? I dont know.

I already had quite a few model 70's including a 300 win mag, and a 7mm rem mag.

A guy wanted to sell me this rifle which was a Black Shadow 7mm Rem Mag. He only wanted $250 for it with a new Weaver Scope.

So I bought it and decided to build a STW.

Punched it out to 7STW
    Changed the magazine box, spring and follower
    New bolt stop
    added a brake to the 26" bbl.
    Bedded the action and floated the barrel

It's a real good long range rifle. Shoots 140 grain Noslers like a dream.

(Northumberland County)

Winchester model 70 in .264 WinMag, picked it because it was different and I can't use an M1A in Pennsylvania.
    "You never lived till you almost died, for those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know"

(Centre County)

Armatile AR30 in .338 Lapua. Because I'm too lazy to leave the comfort of my house.

I currently shoot a Winchester model 70 in .300 winmag for my long distance rifle. I'm soon to build a new one though, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a .243 AI (Ackley Improved), or .300 WSM. I've yet to find an action that I want to build it on, but I've just started looking. I'm probably gonna build it on a model 70 action, or possibly a Remington 700 action. I did see a Weatherby action that I liked the other day, so it's also a possibility. Mainly it'll depend on what comes around for the right price.

(Centre County)

I have a all-weather Ruger M77 Mk.II in 30-06, with a Bushnell Banner scope.

I love the action more than anything on that rifle, but i'm currently in a market for a better stock for it, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast