Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ammo availability

I am looking to purchase an AR but also looking at the 6.8 SPC. I have read a few items about the 5.56 not having the power to do enough damage and they say the 6.8 is far better. I also read there is not an abundance of this on the market yet. Thinking about also buying the 6.8 but get an upper for the 5.56 just in case.
    The way things are going in the world I might be needing a stock of ammo and would not like to find out it is not there.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ammo availability

frankly, I'd wait for the 6.8 dust to settle , theres several 6.X cartridges out there vying for superiority, but until one makes it with the miltary, it wont be commercially viable, or even cheap.

also, cheap surplus wont be availble ever probably, unless a foreign country picks it up, which is unlikely

stick with 5.56 for now, IMHO.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bedford County)

One thing you must remember when reading "horror stories" about the 5.56 and 9x19 is that the troops using these weapons are forced to use issued ammo.

Sure, 9mm FMJ and 5.56 FMJ might not be the best for stopping an enemy, but you don't have to use this ammo.

IMHO there are MANY 9x19 HP's on the market that would make the M9 a much more effective weapon.

And it's not hard to find a wide range of 5.56 rounds ,including Hornady TAP ammo, that out-performs standard FMJ's.

The 556 and 9x19 rounds are easy to find and cheap compared to others...and when loaded right, they are deadly on man size targets.

(Berks County)

Ive been seeing more and more support for the 6.8 SPC. Having my best friend in the gaurd hes been hearing more and more about it and the possiblity of it becoming the new standard for the military. Browning has already made a new AR varient in the 6.8 caliber and the XM-8 project from HK was also to support the 6.8. My guess is the new HK 416 will support it as well. Only one company currently produces the 6.8 SPC cartridge commercially.

If your looking something that your going to be able to get your hands on and is relatively cheap i would stick with the 5.56 for now. More than likely the 6.8 will be the new caliber but it still hasnt been finalized yet.

On a side note the 6.8 uses large rifle primers instead of small rifle primers just an interesting FYI I had learned.

(Bucks County)

IMO, you're better served getting a 7.62x39 platform. It's a reasonable carbine round, and will remain very affordable to shoot for a while. I seriously doubt you'll see affordable bulk ammo in 6.8 for a long time, if ever.

(Schuylkill County)

i have got the 6.8spc upper for my dpms and i love it. i'm thinking of changing the fiances to the 6.8 and mine to a .50 beauwolf.

Forgive my going off the thread a little bit. But since we are talking about "surplus" ammo. I have heard from the some dudes at the gun shop (I know, I frequent these shops often to BS a few, you know what I meant:P) that there might be big surplus of North Korean 7.62x39 ammo IF them two Korean unites. Like when the Berlin wall came down, there were truck load upon truck load of used Makarov entering this shore. Heck, maybe surplus North Korean AK be on their ways here if that happen.
    Keep ma finger crossed, hehehehhaha..

1FingrCHan

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post
    Forgive my going off the thread a little bit. But since we are talking about "surplus" ammo. I have heard from the some dudes at the gun shop (I know, I frequent these shops often to BS a few, you know what I meant:P) that there might be big surplus of North Korean 7.62x39 ammo IF them two Korean unites. Like when the Berlin wall came down, there were truck load upon truck load of used Makarov entering this shore. Heck, maybe surplus North Korean AK be on their ways here if that happen.

1FingrCHan
    Supposedly there is a shipment coming in of Yugo surplus. It looks like they are cleaning out that country, with that shipment of something like a million magazines that Sportsmans Guide got their hands on to this ammo now. The price though isn't going to be all that good though. It's supposed to be priced around the price of Wolf. So it kind of defeats the purpose. Corrosive surplus vs. new production for the same price is kind of pointless. We will have to wait and see.

There has to be other surplus out there. Hell I have a crate of Argentinian 7.62x39, I didn't even know they used AKs down there.

Philly seems to scour the world on business, we should have him search for surplus ammo to import for us

To the original poster-

Ever look at an AR10? Can't really beat a .308. Fairly easy to find, some surplus, plus Wolf/ Braunal make cheap ammo to.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1FingrCHan View Post
    1FingrCHan
    Yeah, and there are some nice HK-91's with the Iranian Guards that they will sell once they sign a peace treaty with Israel. In other words, I would not pay up front for the NK stuff

Instead of the 6.8 whatever you can also look at the 75 grain 5.56 which I believe was designed for that longer range knock down power everybody is always complaining about. But, I think you may need (should have) a 1/7 barrel. Experts can correct me on this.

But to what I think is behind the OP, if anybody wants to stand 150 yards away from me while I answer the age old question of if 5.56 has enough stopping power - let me know.

While I would agree that at a few hundred yards I would rather have a 7.62 M14 lets not loose sight that the 5.56 out of a M4 will kill you deader than dead in any circumstances my fellow net warriors will ever encounter here in the wild lands of PA. There are graves (theirs, not ours) filled all over the world that will attest that the 5.56 combined with proper training gets the job done. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Don't get me wrong, I love a bigger bang as well as the next guy. I just don't buy all of the anti 5.56 stuff I hear almost daily.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post

Philly seems to scour the world on business, we should have him search for surplus ammo to import for us

To the original poster-

Ever look at an AR10? Can't really beat a .308. Fairly easy to find, some surplus, plus Wolf/ Braunal make cheap ammo to.
    Don't laugh, I actually know a guy who knows a guy....but the paperwork! Forgetaboutit.

I agree with your advice. Get a AR in 5.56 and also a .308 But I would go with a M14 over a AR10 if given the option. Actually, I was and did

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast