Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Lights are on - no one's "home"...

Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    The one that gets me, are the morons who drive around the CITY, on cloudless, full moon nights, even - under the thousands of city arc lights - and have their fog lights ON!

WTF?!?! What, are these MOUTH-BREATHERS thinking?!?!

When MY window's down, I'll yell at them - 'TURN OFF YOUR FOG LAMPS, DUMBASS! THE ONLY "FOG" OUT HERE, IS BETWEEN YOUR EARS...

Bob
    Sooooo that was you???!!!???

Default Re: Driving with High Beams at night on the highway

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    How exactly is this firearm related? This is what the lounge is for.
    was thinking the samething..and its the second thread about vehicles.

(Delaware County)

My Stepdad's old 1987 (yes, a car that's over 20 years old) T-bird Turbo Coupe had a feature where if you had the high beams on and it saw another car with headlights, it automatically shut them off.....

not sure why cars in the 21st century do not come standard with this...
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    How about this...

if you are driving on a road, and its so dangerous that you MUST turn your high-beams on too see if you are about to hit something...
    how about you

SLOW THE F DOWN!!!!!

ALSO!
    Isn't it worse to flash a deer with high-beams? Doesn't that make them freeze, or jump straight at you?? Isn't that the consensus?
    So you would be the guy that I passed that was only going 15 mph on the blue route with nothing but parking lights on that one time. You couldn't see so you slowed down, good job.

Obviously going the speed limit and using high beams makes no sense at all. It's not about it being 'sooo dangerous' it's about being able to see as far as possible with the given lights available.

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    Nope. It's not about speed. You should use the best tool for the job whenever possible. The best tool for lighting up a dark road are your high beams.
    EXACTLY!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    How exactly is this firearm related? This is what the lounge is for.
    Aren't we in the lounge...?
    I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    My Stepdad's old 1987 (yes, a car that's over 20 years old) T-bird Turbo Coupe had a feature where if you had the high beams on and it saw another car with headlights, it automatically shut them off.....

not sure why cars in the 21st century do not come standard with this...
    Hey now, my car is almost 20 years old, nothing wrong with that. It doesn't have that headlight feature though, it requires the driver to pay attention!

Exclamation Re: Driving with High Beams at night on the highway

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    I thought that (at least when I was learning to drive) a divided highway was the only exception to not requiring low beams when oncoming traffic approached.

I dim mine anyway because today's headlamps are so much brighter. Same with the 300 ft rule to the rear. I dim if I can see your taillights at all.
    We must have gone to the same school... either that or chalk it up to the law of common sense?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I hate driving at night. I rue the day when I get "old" and have a hard time seeing.
    Jules
    I can't remember the cut-off age, but I recall reading somewhere that you lose about 50% of your night vision by the time you retire (maybe earlier).

So if you have crappy night vision as a youngster, it will get much worse.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Quote Originally Posted by s.vermeire View Post
    Aren't we in the lounge...?
    It is now, but it wasn't when he made his reply.

(Allegheny County)

I have a few comments.

I recall a road rule stating that if you can't stop your vehicle within the distance of your headlight beams, then you're going to fast. (for you afraid of not seeing a deer down the road people)

Most people and most "Inspection Stations" never check head light alignment. Properly adjusted headlights is/was a requirement for inspection. I'm willing to bet 30%-40% of vehicles don't have properly adjusted head lights, which can cause issues for oncoming traffic. Low beams are set to aim below the horizontal plane (just a bit), and to the right, so as not to blind on coming traffic. High beams shoot a little higher than low beams, of course brighter, and a little straighter than the low beams.

Fog lights and driving lights are great accessories to vehicles if properly used and aimed. I'm a big fan of white fog lights, I drive with mine on all the time (factory installed), when properly aimed (way below the horizontal plane), they will not blind oncoming traffic. For me, in suburban driving, the White fog lights help illuminate the road surface and further to the sides than the vehicles headlights. I have never been flashed (in 5 years of using them 100% of the time). If you're a country boy, try some aux driving lights. They typically throw a more narrow beam (than factory high beams) and about 50% further. For them to be legal, they must be installed to turn off if you turn on your high beams (please take the time to properly aim them).

Pet Peeves: One Eyed Bandits (people with one head light), people who install aftermarket replacement headlight bulbs that exceed the legal maximum wattage, Idiots using lights mounted on rollbars while on the road (rare, but does happen), those "new" blindingly blue/white headlights, the fender bender cockeyed headlight people (were one headlight is aimed correctly and the other is shooting way up and way to the side).
    Last edited by Hawk; November 8th, 2008 at 10:31 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    It is now, but it wasn't when he made his reply.
    Aaaahh, ok.
    I think the founding fathers meant exactly what they wrote: the government should not make any laws restricting the RIGHT of the people to 'hold or retain in one's possession' and 'hold or carry' guns and other weapons that would allow them to keep their government in line.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast