Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LTCF Denied

(Chester County)

Default LTCF Denied

I need some help. I recently, about a month ago, applied for my LTCF through Chester County. I just got a letter back stating I was denied by PICS, and that I am prohibited from obtaining a LTCF, under state or federal law.

My questions are this.
    1. I do have a criminal record, but as i understand it, from what i read when i filled out the application, nothing was prohibiting me.
    2. where can i go to get a background check on myself (maybe for free?) to make sure I'm not misunderstanding something or someone didn't do their job in making my record correct.

Please pm me if you are versed in this or post here, I'm not really into giving out the details of my record on here publicly.

I did receive a challenge form with the letter, however if I'm actually prohibited then i'm not going to bother.
    Thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: LTCF Denied

Quote Originally Posted by stinkymcdoober View Post
    I need some help. I recently, about a month ago, applied for my LTCF through Chester County. I just got a letter back stating I was denied by PICS, and that I am prohibited from obtaining a LTCF, under state or federal law.

My questions are this.
    1. I do have a criminal record, but as i understand it, from what i read when i filled out the application, nothing was prohibiting me.
    2. where can i go to get a background check on myself (maybe for free?) to make sure I'm not misunderstanding something or someone didn't do their job in making my record correct.

Please pm me if you are versed in this or post here, I'm not really into giving out the details of my record on here publicly.

I did receive a challenge form with the letter, however if I'm actually prohibited then i'm not going to bother.
    Thanks.
    You could have been denied due to an arrest incident, even if it wasn't (technically speaking) a prohibitive incident.

This is why you should send in the challenge form to find out the specific reason, because if it is related to the non-prohibitive offense, then they'll either reverse it immediately or tell you what the incident was... after which you can write a letter explaining that it's a non-prohibitive offense and that they should upgrade your PICS status.

Whereas, if there are other incidents on your PICS record unrelated to the given non-prohibitive offense, you should see if that's what they're denying you for.

Several here have been initially denied because of mere arrest incidents, even when they led to no formal charges or convictions... but it's not until you "explain yourself" on even those incidences that the PICS people will reverse your denial.

As far as a background check, you can access the PSP PATCH computer system for $10 online and get a criminal record report on your convictions... but not on mere arrests... if you know of any arrests that are still on record, you may have to get a report issued by the police from the township in which you were arrested, assuming they still have their records on arrests that led to no formal charges.

/or maybe it was your monicker...
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; November 6th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

(Chester County)

haha yeah probably.

I was arrested, just once. charged with three different offenses, but only convicted of one. Years ago i had found out that the charges that weren't convicted were still on my record, and had to do some jumping through hoops to get them off, so they shouldn't be there anymore. Can that make a difference? Charges, i mean, not convictions?

(Lehigh County)

haha yeah probably.

I was arrested, just once. charged with three different offenses, but only convicted of one. Years ago i had found out that the charges that weren't convicted were still on my record, and had to do some jumping through hoops to get them off, so they shouldn't be there anymore. Can that make a difference? Charges, i mean, not convictions?
    They could have the arrest and "charges" listed, and if they find no record of those other charges being dropped, that's where you'll have to "explain yourself" and either provide them with the court record which says the charges were dropped, or sometimes they'll actually call the township police themselves and try to see if the disposition of charges is recorded and verified as dropped, once you explain it all to them.

(Chester County)

ugh, this is such a pain in my arse. I guess I'll just fill out the challenge form and see what happens from there. i would like to get a background check on myself though....

(Luzerne County)

WHat you need to understand is that PICS is not perfect and it DOES deny people wrongly. If that is the case you MUST send in that challenge form asap or you risk loosing your ability to contest it.

There is no way to run PICS on yourself other than buying a gun or LTCF app.

As for whether or not you are prohibited, by law, feel free to PM me your info. I can discuss w/gnbrotz and an attorney (if needed), but no one else, with your permission.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lehigh County)

ugh, this is such a pain in my arse. I guess I'll just fill out the challenge form and see what happens from there. i would like to get a background check on myself though....
    Here's the link to the PATCH system for online checks of your criminal record, and there's also the paper method for requesting your records. Either way, it's $10.

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?A=4&Q=48275

But again, remember... this just contains records of your formal court cases and convictions, and won't tell you about other arrest incidents or charges which were dropped (but which will still be in the PICS system).

Yeah, I know that seems messed up... if it's not formally on the PATCH system, why does PICS retain the info? C'est la vie.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; November 6th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

(Monroe County)

(Chester County)

first one said server is too busy the second one didn't find me. so i'll just wait a bit and try back. thanks everyone so far :-)

(Westmoreland County)

Unhappy Re: LTCF Denied

That might explain why I seem to get the extended background check or whatever its called from PICS so often..

I looked my self up on that second site and it came up with someone with the same first and last name, as well as the same middle initial, as mine that lives in Latrobe, and his three listed offenses are:

Offense Date: 02/08/2003
    Case Number: PHILADELPHIACP-51-CR-0208751-2003
    Offense Type: Traffic/Other
    Offense Code:
    Offense Description: CARRYING FIRE ARMS/PUBLIC STREET OR PLACE
    Date Reported:
    Disposition: GUILTY
    Disposition Date: 07/30/2003

Offense Date: 02/08/2003
    Case Number: PHILADELPHIACP-51-CR-0208751-2003
    Offense Type: Traffic/Other
    Offense Code: