Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need help with shot placement ...

First ... this is with my M&P9c ...

I am shooting nice groups but they are all low and to the left. I'm right handed and if I remember correctly, that means that I'm flinching or pulling a little.

What can I do at home or at the range to help correct this?
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Need help with shot placement ...

1 - Load a dummy round (or have someone do it for you) in to your magazine / cylinder...

when you click... and no bang... look to see where your muzzle is pointed. If not EXACTLY where you were expecting (like the "A" zone... or bullseye) then you are flinching... anticipating the recoil.

What to do...

1 - don't have such a deathgrip on the gun. Apply yhe trigger until it goes "bang" ... almost like it surprises you that it went off. See where the round went...Apply the trigger again (slowly...concentrating on geeping the gun flat and on target)...really get the process going
    2 - Concentrate on keeping the weapon ON the target...go slow. Specifically concentrate on not flinching.
    3 - If able to use a less stout round...like 38 Spl vs 357 Mag, etc... try that. Get used to the softer round.,.. then work your way up.
    4 - Practice... but know what you re doing wrong... and practice doing it right.

(Allegheny County)

I didn't think I was giving it the "death grip" but I will definitely be mindful of that. Yeah, I like the idea of a dummy round ... but how/where do you get one?

Thanks for the suggestions
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

I would tell you to aim a little high and to the right. With my Colt 1911 I have to aim ~6 inches low at 25 yards, conversely with my xd it is ~3-4 inches high at 25 yards. You may be shooting great and your gun is a little off. Even if it isn't the gun, isn't the idea to hit what your aiming at consistantly?

Also with my xd my rear sight was an 1/16 of an inch off to begin with and I was trying many things to get my head back in the game. I eyeballed it one day and took it to my smith and he wacked it once and handed it back to me and told me that it would no longer shoot 3 inches to the left. Best news, the adjustment was free.

(Adams County)

I have the same problem with Glock 9x19--7 O'clock 6" out of center and more at times.

I'm ok with other high caliber handguns I own S&W19/.357-Sig1911/.45
    I'm guessing its the Glock trigger.

(Dummy round sounds like a good test to me----Gota try that)

~BEST~
    Bill-------------------------->
    NRA - LIFE / ENDOWMENT MEMBER
    LIFE MEMBER - VIETNAM VETERANS AMERICA
    U.S.NAVY SEAWOLVES - VIETNAM 69/70

(Luzerne County)

Have you tried the "pencil in the gun" trick for at home practice?
    It's easier with an exposed hammer gun but you can still do it with the M&P.
    Take a piece of paper and make a dot on it about as wide as your front sight. Tape it to a wall about eye height. This is your target
    Get a sharpened pencil about an inch longer than your gun's barrel. Should have a new eraser. Round pencils work the best.
    Make sure that the gun is unloaded. Take out the magazine. Cock the gun. Insert the pencil into the barrel of the gun eraser first - from the muzzle - so that the eraser rests against the breechface and the firing pin. Stand facing the target so that the tip of the pencil is about 1/2" from the paper when you are holding the gun, aiming and ready to shoot.
    Aim at the dot as you would a target. Squeeze the trigger. The gun will dry fire; the firing pin will hit the pencil and drive it forward on to the paper below the dot. Repeat.
    Do this about ten or twenty times and you'll see a pattern/group of dots on the paper that will be the same spread as if they were bullet holes.
    Pete

PS - You can get "dummy rounds" or "snap caps" at many gun dealers. Midwayusa.com sells them online.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I didn't think I was giving it the "death grip" but I will definitely be mindful of that. Yeah, I like the idea of a dummy round ... but how/where do you get one?

The one's ive always seen are reloaded (not sure if it was w/o a primer or a case that was already fired and just loaded with the bullet but no powder)...not sure if you can actually buy one... Another method that my pops used, is to wad up a little bit of toilet paper and put that where the hammer would strike the firing pin (that is if your pistol has an open hammer, im not familiar with pistols) and while your just sitting at home watching tv throughout the night just aim and shoot at little nick nacks on the walls, on the tv etc (obviously take safety precautions, unloaded, etc.) but that is what my pops used to do for weeks before his pistol shoots, like i said though i dont know too much (if anything) about pistols but i know he used the dummy round and T.P. shooting
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Lawrence County)

Try gripping harder with the left hand. How's your grip?

Lycanstayrelaxedthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Haven't thought much about the left hand ... It's probably not that tight of a grip. Been trying to ease up on my grip all around. I will have to go home and check a few things.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post

Go to the Gun store... get a "snap cap" (a little expensive.. .but they FEED well) and have someone else load the mags for you... randomly placing a snap cap in the mags...sometimes two in one mag just to throw you off.

If no BANG... and not pointing where you initially were aiming (like low and left)... you know what you need to work on.

In this instance... it will help rule out the sight issues others are describing. If your sights are DEAD ON... then your sights may be off...

I would imagine that most weapons from the factory at 10 yards are set OK (some come out a little funny - yes) enough to get consistent hits in the "A" zone.

Have you shot from a "rest" to ensure it is not the sights?

This is also useful in learning how to clear malfunctions.... load a snap cap randomly in several mags... when no BANG... execute a malfunction cearing drill....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast