Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Less Recoil 9mm

Smile Less Recoil 9mm

Good Morning All: I just shoot holes in paper and finally got a couple of 9mm semi-auto pistols. They are the Kahr PM-9 and Colt Pocket Nine. The Kahr has less recoil than the Colt, but still a lot to me. Can some of you please suggest ammo that will kick less but the gun will still function? Thanks
    LEAWOOD

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Less Recoil 9mm

if 9mm kicks too much for you, you might want to consider a .380, or a .38 special.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Leawood View Post
    Good Morning All: I just shoot holes in paper and finally got a couple of 9mm semi-auto pistols. They are the Kahr PM-9 and Colt Pocket Nine. The Kahr has less recoil than the Colt, but still a lot to me. Can some of you please suggest ammo that will kick less but the gun will still function? Thanks
    LEAWOOD
    1. If your interest is target shooting, why buy two of the tiniest, compromised-ergonomic pistols out there? Those guns have traded away a lot of comfort and shootability to be concealable.

2. Um, what ammo are you NOW shooting? Most range ammo feels about the same.

(Berks County)

The 9mm models you've mentioned are both "pocket" style 9mm pistols; are you looking specifically for a pocket pistol? If you are, then Diego's suggestion is best; a smaller cartridge like a .380 or even a .32 might be the way to go.

If you're not limiting yourself to small, pocket-sized pistols, then any number of larger frame 9mm semi-autos will likely be better. A larger pistol with a longer barrel and added weight will help with recoil as well as accuracy. For example, I own a S&W M&P in 9mm and it's recoil is very light.

Hope it helps!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Chester County)

All the range ammo (as previous posters have mentioned) is going to feel about the same.

You're shooting small guns, they're going to kick. If you just want to paper punch, buy a bigger 9mm.

If you're looking for a low-recoil self defense load, try Federal's C9BP (115 gr. JHP) or their P9HS1 (Personal defense Hydra-Shok 124 gr.). You can also try Speer's Gold Dot 115 gr. (#23614).

I don't think you're going to avoid recoil by switching to a .380. Most .380 guns are blowback operated, and because of that kick as much as most regular 9mm. And .38 Special is going to kick just as much as 9mm unless you're shooting a 50 oz gun. Or shooting target wadcutters or low power cowboy loads (which you can get from Black Hills).

Personally, if I were you, I'd trade the PM9 for a K9 (the same gun, but a little bigger and all steel). Recoil in those isn't a problem for anyone I've met.
    Last edited by Rule10b5; March 13th, 2007 at 10:37 AM.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    I don't think you're going to avoid recoil by switching to a .380. Most .380 guns are blowback operated, and because of that kick as much as most regular 9mm. And .38 Special is going to kick just as much as 9mm unless you're shooting a 50 oz gun.
    I was just about to post that point -- you beat me to the punch.

The other thing is that I don't think even the manufacturer of the PM-9 intends it to be a high-round-count range Clydesdale. I think those tiny guns are intended to be carried often and shot (relatively) little. They'll break down a lot quicker than any service-size workhorse gun.

The other factor, btw, is that 9mm hits the sweet spot in the cost/round curve: bigger rounds are more expensive AND smaller rounds (.380 and .32) are also more expensive.

My $0.02: sell the Colt. If CCW is ever in the picture, the Kahr is a much more suitable pocket gun. Then use the proceeds to buy a used Glock 19/17 or CZ75, all of which can be had for about $400.

Thank you all for the help, I was looking for "magic" bullet to solve problem. I bought guns to use for carry, and wanted to try them out to become familiar with them. I have 45s, 357s, etc, and the weight helps absorb recoil. With these compact 9 mms was hoping for a cartridge that was mild to practice marksmanship.

Oh well, cann't have everything - being able to have CCW is the best part of all.

Again thank you for the replys.

Leawood

(Centre County)

Want a surefire way to make your 9mm feel like a 22LR.

Go shoot a 11oz 357mag.

After shooting my S&W 340PD regularly, it makes anything civil lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.