Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default 2.5 vs 3.0 inch barrel ...

Ok, guys, here's another question for you all. I have seen that there is a Smith & Wesson 686 plus 2.5" barrel available at one of the "big-box" stores in my area. I have been looking for a 3" 357 revolver, and was basically down to either a Ruger or a S&W. I haven't seen any 3" models available at all (trust me, I've been looking almost daily), and was beginning to get a little frustrated. Then I saw that there was a 2.5" model available. So, my question is this ... Is there a significant difference in the ballistics and felt recoil in that 1/2 inch that would make a huge difference? I don't have a problem waiting, but I saw this and wondered if I should act on it or not. Thoughts? Thanks for the input.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 2.5 vs 3.0 inch barrel ...

Velocity differences can vary a bit, but 99% of all bad guys wont know the difference. When you're talking short barrels, the difference is greater. Once barrels get to a point in length where most of the powder is burnt and pressures are dropping off, then the difference isn't all that great between a 1/2 to 1 inch differenc.

Difference in recoil would be minor between 2.5" and 3", with the 3" typically having the advantage due to slight increase in gun mass. HOWEVER, that increase in mass may be offset by increase in velocity resulting in greater recoil than the shorter barrel.

38spl http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html
    357mag http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

If you want a 2-3 inch barrel just get a 9mm. You might lose 100fps vs a 357 but you wouldn't have the violent recoil and the basketball sized orange flash at night.

Like Knight mentioned here is a link for what barrel length does to velocity. Look at the 357 results first then look at a 9mm or even a .38. With a 2.5 inch barrel a 357 is NOT a magnum.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

My preference for a 3in S&W over a 2.5in is ya get a full ejector rod stroke to clean empties.

A few gun magazines did tests where they mounted a 12in barrel on a revolver frame and did velocity checks cutting an inch off at a time. The shorter the barrel got , the less difference. Muzzle flash and blast did increase the shorter it got.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    If you want a 2-3 inch barrel just get a 9mm. You might lose 100fps vs a 357 but you wouldn't have the violent recoil and the basketball sized orange flash at night.

Like Knight mentioned here is a link for what barrel length does to velocity. Look at the 357 results first then look at a 9mm or even a .38. With a 2.5 inch barrel a 357 is NOT a magnum.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
    Not to forget that .357 ammo generally uses a slower burning powder than 9mmP. Again , less velocity , more muzzle flash/blast. But that's what seems to impress the most.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Not to forget that .357 ammo generally uses a slower burning powder than 9mmP. Again , less velocity , more muzzle flash/blast. But that's what seems to impress the most.
    At night if you can remember to close your eyes right before you shoot it you could have a tactile advantage.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    My preference for a 3in S&W over a 2.5in is ya get a full ejector rod stroke to clean empties.
    This is the primary advantage a 3.0 has over a 2.5 and there are plenty of low flash ammo options for short barreled revolvers. I like the low flash buffalo bore for .357 and .38spl.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=21