Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Magnum Research BFR in 500 S&W - anyone else???

Just wanted to see if anyone else has a similar gun.

I just bought mine last fall and have only taken it out hunting once (yeah I missed a 15 yard shot at a nice 10 point buck - my fault not the guns!) and to the range a few times.

Specs:It is has a 7"+ barrel ( I think thaey call it 7 3/8ths???) scoped with leupold 4x and has Hogue (fake wood) grips. I found that the grips that came standard beat my hands sore after only a few rounds. The new grips, although very hard, do give extra surface area in which to dissapate the recoil. I shoot Winchester Platinum 400 grain bullets. At fifty yards I can basically keep the groups around 1 1/2 - 2 inches.

I love this gun and plan on doing a lot of hunting with it over the next few years.

So what do you think?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Magnum Research BFR in 500 S&W - anyone else???

I think we need pics. So the rest of us can live vicariously through you.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

These are both of mine. One is in .45-70 and the other is in .500 S&W Magnum. Both have 10" barrels. Bill T.

(Washington County)

So how do you like the 45-70 compared to the 500 S&W?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore View Post
    So how do you like the 45-70 compared to the 500 S&W?
    The .45-70 is more versitile than the .500. It's also a lot less expensive to shoot factory ammo thru, which isn't a factor for me because I handload both. I don't understand why because the .45-70 uses more brass, and near as much powder and lead per round, yet in spite of that the .500 is almost twice per round more to shoot. With factory 405 grain loads the .45-70 is about like a stiff loaded .44 Magnum, recoil wise. When handloaded hot with the Lyman 552 Grain cast Gas Checks pictured, it's quite a handfull, thus the versatility. I like the Magnum Research BFR's quality. It has nice mirror finished chambers that are counterbored, and the barrel isn't set back so far leaving that big gap you see on many other revolvers. Also, when the loading gate is opened the cylinder spins freely in either direction, not in one direction only with the "clickity clackity" like Ruger. They use Stainless Steel Socket Head Cap Screws to attach the grip frame to the gun which is a really nice touch. I purchased the .500 after I had bought the .45-70 and it came with a nice Weaver type scope base with the gun. The frame is drilled and tapped to receive it making mounting a scope quite easy and effortless if one chooses to do so. The .45-70 BFR makes a nice companion piece to my Marlin .45-70 Guide Gun. Now I'm waiting for someone to produce a nice .500 S&W Magnum lever gun! Bill T.