Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default NYC Mayor Bloomberg--More to come on Gun Control-Article-Must Read

Bloomberg is spearheading this Gun Control issue:

• NEW YORK
    • February 28, 2013, 12:03 a.m. ET

Billionaire Mayor Plays Bigger Role on National Stage

By MICHAEL HOWARD SAUL and JARED A. FAVOLE

Injecting millions of dollars into elections from coast to coast, billionaire New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is building on a large-scale effort that began last fall to expand his influence beyond his home turf.
    His growing national profile was on display Wednesday when he visited the White House to talk to Vice President Joe Biden about new gun laws. The trip came one day after a Chicago congressional candidate backed by $2.5 million of Mr. Bloomberg's money came from behind and won a special Democratic primary for former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.'s seat.

Getty Images New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg speaks Wednesday outside the White House after meeting with Vice President Joe Biden about gun laws.

"Is it a harbinger of what's to come?" Mr. Bloomberg asked on Wednesday of his influence on the Illinois election. "I think so."
    A man who once publicly toyed with the idea of running for president, Mr. Bloomberg has now thrown himself into a separate effort to shape electoral politics far from New York and is pushing for pet issues in his last year in office.
    The 71-year-old political independent is known for antismoking and gun-control efforts, but he has focused his attention on other topics, such as education, spending $1 million in a current bid to elect a slate of like-minded candidates to the Los Angeles Board of Education. He is also poised to announce Thursday that he is giving $100 million to an effort to eradicate polio.

Last October, he created Independence USA PAC, which has now spent more than $12 million to support candidates and ballot initiatives that favor same-sex marriage, in addition to gun control and education overhauls. Overall, Mr. Bloomberg was involved in a total of 60 contests nationwide last year, ranging from U.S. Senate races to the New Orleans school board; of these 60 races, the mayor was on the winning side in 43.
    The financial-information mogul's money has swamped the airwaves and filled mailboxes with campaign advertising in far-flung places. In Illinois, the mayor's money bought four television ads and seven pieces of direct mail that helped ex-legislator Robin Kelly, a gun-control advocate, come from behind.
    The election was scored a victory for Mr. Bloomberg, but it remains to be seen if he can be influential in moderate and conservative districts.
    Andrew Arulanandam, a spokesman for the National Rifle Association, said the mayor was trying to "create a false sense of momentum."
    Mr. Arulanandam said of the Illinois race: "What was an antigun seat from a blue state from a blue district remains the same." Still, he said, "We have billions of reasons to take Michael Bloomberg seriously, literally."
    Rep. Peter King, a Long Island Republican and frequent ally of the mayor, said that Mr. Bloomberg's money would help counter the NRA's influence in the House.

Howard Wolfson, a New York deputy mayor, said Mr. Bloomberg "believes that it's important to level the playing field versus the NRA." Mr. Wolfson added, "He's obviously in a position to do so."
    —Andrew Grossman contributed to this article. Write to Michael Howard Saul at michael.saul@wsj.com and Jared A. Favole at jared.favole@dowjones.com

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: NYC Mayor Bloomberg--More to come on Gun Control-Article-Must Read

Funny how Bloomberg's throwing millions of dollars around is "leveling the playing field" against an organization of 4.5 million mostly non-rich people... but when the Koch Bros. contribute the same amount it's a sin against democracy.

(Chester County)

And to think we had a revolution to rid our selves of kings. I know I'll get flamed for saying this but I hope when the courts rule the safe act is unconstitutional him and cuomo have brain anurisms and drop dead. I've never been more disgusted by two men in my entire life.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    And to think we had a revolution to rid our selves of kings. I know I'll get flamed for saying this but I hope when the courts rule the safe act is unconstitutional him and cuomo have brain anurisms and drop dead. I've never been more disgusted by two men in my entire life.
    Look at the whole DEMONAZI Party. Has there ever been anything more despicable?

And Americans (tongue in cheek) voted for more?
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Look at the whole DEMONAZI Party. Has there ever been anything more despicable?

And Americans (tongue in cheek) voted for more?
    I feel like there are some well intentioned people on their side, who do the wrong things for the right reasons. But cuomo and Bloomberg are not those kind of people. They have audacity that has not been seen before in this republic.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Philadelphia County)

This is honestly fucking terrifying if you think about it. He's actively spending serious money on destroying our freedoms. People seriously need to open their eyes that this isn't about public safety it's about public control. He's working so hard to control people from all sides, make them used to being controlled by the government officials in his pocket.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLom View Post
    This is honestly fucking terrifying if you think about it. He's actively spending serious money on destroying our freedoms. People seriously need to open their eyes that this isn't about public safety it's about public control. He's working so hard to control people from all sides, make them used to being controlled by the government officials in his pocket.
    I agree with you 100%, and the thing that scares me the most is that the majority of the people in this country don't see the threat. They just keep watching reality tv, and eating big macs.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    I agree with you 100%, and the thing that scares me the most is that the majority of the people in this country don't see the threat. They just keep watching reality tv, and eating big macs.
    That is just it! People have shifted their focus from real life priorities and are more concerned about who wins american idol than what is going on with current events. I almost guarantee if you walked up to random people and asked about current events, 95% would start spewing some crap about what celebrity cheated on their spouse, what athlete got caught with a hooker or drugs and if you brought up a political topic they would have nothing to say unless there was a special about it on the news.
    "Freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. Individual freedom demands individual responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    I'm sure that if Bloomberg gets his way, they won't be eating big macs for long.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by B.A. View Post
    lets take that pair of scumbags a step farther , in synopsis heres what I read this morning as I cannot find the artical at the moment to post for your reading pleasure.
    Cumo is going to ammend their safe act to ,( now pay close attention to this) EXEMPT HOLLYWOOD MOVIE CO'S AN TV SHOWS THAT ARE FILMING IN NEW YORK , since he believes the new law would stop them from filming in his city ........ essentially taking money out of their pockets ...... fackin hypocrites!
    Bodymangt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast