Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Smile Hopefully this time...

I posted this on another forum and got ZERO responses. Know I am guite found of my this rifle and love it to death. Hopefully, this time others will APRRECIATE my post and actually respond. Follows below, enjoy...

Thumbs up My Favorite Round, the Better .243 cal round....
    The 6mm Remington

Lets discuss this great cartridge and please share your loads, rifles chambered for it and any other intresting things related to the round.

My Rifle: A true German Mauser military action(has got the swasticas with eagle on it), Douglas barrel chambered in 6mm Remington, Leupold VX-II, hand shaped hard American Walnut stock, sealed and stained many times to create almost weather proof rifle. Weights about 9 pounds loaded. Beautiful blue job and accuracy of match rifle caliber. This rifle has taken a lot of ground hogs and deer. To many to count. My grandfather built this beauty in 1956 and it is still going strong in my hands.

The Load: IMR 4350 45gr, Win. Standard Rifle Primer, Remington Brass, 85 gr. Sierra Varmiter Bullets=3 shots at 100 yards-touching!!!-and about 3200-3400 fps at muzzle.

Let'em rip ladies and gentleman, lets hear about the OTHER .243 cartridge.....

Default Re: Hopefully this time...

I bought a Rem M700 in .243 the first year of production. This was maybe 1963. I shot a couple of deer with the 85 grain sierra and they died, but a lot of meat damage. I the loaded the 85 grain Nosler and shot a couple - lots of penetration -so I went to the 100 grain Nosler. I stuck with this bullet over 40 grains of 4350 until I eventually shot the barrel out. I shot one doe that had been crippled in one front leg. Shot her in the butt and the bullet exited near the front shoulder. I shot one 8 point from a tree stand. Shot him in the neck and recovered the bullet under the skin in the paunch - the only bullet I ever recovered. All others were complete penetration.

I never lost a deer shot with this rifle, however, when I bought a new barrel, I now have a 7mm-08 Wiseman barrel on it. It shoots very well and has taken one mule deer with a 140 ballistic tip. My standard load now is 140 grain Nosler partitionm, but I seldom hunt anymore and when I do take to the woods it is with a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70.

To tell the truth, I kind of still miss the .243 althouth the 7mm is surely better for most game.

(Cambria County)

Nice to see someone else with such affection for the 6mm. Old man bought a Rem. 760 in'85 and broke it in on a doe. For the next three years I killed bucks with it. I soon bought a Rem. 700 in .270 and killed lots of deer with it. Now I carry the 6mm about half the time in rifle season. I I still think of it as my "buck gun".

I originally shot 85 grain Sierra HPBT's over 46.5 grns of IMR 4350. Recently switched to 90 grn Nosler ballistic tips over 49 grns of Reloder 19 at around 3350fps. I believe the BT's hold together a bit better.

Too bad its not chambered in more rifles.

I think you will get better performance, particularly in the smaller calibers with the Nosler Partition. I have no experience with the Barnes X bullet, or the bonded bullets, but they should all be good and a bit better for penetration than the ballistic tip although I have used it with good results, but only in 7MM and larger.

(Indiana County)

I was actually looking into using some Noslers or Barnes bullets just to try them. I hate to mess with perfection though. My rifle shoots so well, my grandfather prefected the load for this rifle and I just cant stand to mess with sucess. Never lost an animal so...I have seen some fantastic wound channels with my load usually it blows a hole in one side and leaves out one as big as my fist! Really messes up the meat if your shot placement is off. The reason I dont go to a heavier ball is that the barrel has 1:12 twist instead of the newer 1:10 twist. The rate in my rifle is to slow for bigger balls and accuracy suffers. Mind you 2 inches at 100 yards would be good enough for most deer hunting. It is not good enough for groundhog and this being a dual purpose rifle i use the 85 grain ball. The barrel is actually stamped .244 Remington which they later changed to 6mm Remington later on. Same thing. If Remington had chambered rifles in 1:10 twist from the get go it may be the dominate smaller caliber in the woods instead of the .243 Winchester, but that is one of histories odd occurances. I still argue that the 6mm Remington is better because it has a longer neck and is more suitable for reloading. (Which I do). I also feel that it is better adopted to the Mauser action. (which i shoot). I have to praise that action it is THE best out there except the 1903 Springfield may be better but it is just a copy anyway for the most part. So accurate, reliable, and fast as jugded by last years deer I got. I got off 2 shots in about 5 seconds. First standing, hit, second deer took off ( I COULD SEE THE ENTRENCE HOLE IN THE SCOPE) as i lined up for the second but not needed running shot. Which i missed by the way but not by much. Thank you all for the comments and stories they are good to hear.

I would agree with you on the Mauser being better than the Springfield. In the era in which your rifle was built the Mauser was probalby considered the best unless it was the M70 Win.

I tried the Sierra 85 grain HPBT a lot and never could get it to shoot in my rifle. The 75 grain Sierra HP shot really well though. I would definitely try the 85 grain Nosler partition. The 95 might stabilize in the 1-12 bbl. When I bought my M700, Remington had changed to the 1-9 twist so the 100 grains did very well.

As you probably know, the 6mm Rem is based on the 7mm Mauser case as is the .257 Roberts. I once had a Ruger No. 1 in .257 Roberts and it performed very well with the 120 Nosler partition. The No. 1 has a 26 inch Barrel and my reloads chronographed at 2830 fps which is probably better than many .270 shooters are getting from a 130 grain factory load in a 22 inch bbl.

With the Mauser action, you should be able to seat your bullets out past specs to nearly touch the lands. I try for about .025 inch bullet jump in hunting loads in I can seat out that far and still feed through the magazine.