Greetings to you all. I found this forum while I was doing some independant preliminary research, liked what I read, so I registered specifically to seek guidance. But hopefully in the future I'll be able to come back and contribute as a firearm owner.

I am not sure exactly sure what information you will need to help so feel free to ask for anything I inadvertantly omitted.

About a month ago I was denied by PICS when I went to purchase my very first shotgun for home defense and try my luck at some bird hunting sometime. The response to my challenge form was a 302 involuntary commitment in 1999. I don't know how much detail I should get into, but suffice it to say the night of 1999 in question was fueled with a quantity of alcohol (from which I forever have given up) and a lot of issues occuring at once. I had even told the ER doctor that at no time was I trying to end my life. Nor would I ever want to. It was an incident I accidently took too far.

Anyways, I have been trying to find the laws that will aid me, but I honestly think they word them in such a way as to confuse someone like me to tears. For instance:
*I believe I was held for observation, not involuntarily commited by a court.
*I obviously was in no danger to myself or others after I spent the mandatory 5 or 6 day stay since the released me without a hitch.
* I recall signing some sort of paper while in the ER. Can't remember if it was for a self commitment paper or not.
* There was no "treatment" whatsoever. I saw the psychiatrist twice during the time I was there. And each time was for 5 minutes. So a total of 10 minutes my entire stay. Was not prescribed meds nor therapy.

Let me express to you all that at NO time, then or now, have I ever thought of ending my life. Trust me, I have quite a bit to be around for So what would be the steps I should take to become a firearm owner? I did send for a copy of my hospital records in case I would need them. What other avenues should/could I follow?

Thank you all for your help in advance. I am disheartened that one stupid, drunken night will now follow me around forever.