Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Question That I Need Help With Tonight

My brother is 20 years old and the other day he was with his room mate two guys come up to them and try and mug them out side there apartment his room mate got stab and my brother attacked the guy with the knife and knocked out the guys teeth the attachers ran to there car and started shooting. the police said there was nothing they could do because my brother and his room mate did not know who the people that attacked them where. the room mate that got stab is ok. but needless to say my bother is a little shock up. he asked me for a gun. I do not want to just "GIVE" him a gun. he is only 20 years old so a pistol would be hard. I was thinking what if i Sold him one of my shotguns for like 100 bucks and then I would buy it back after he moves home. he is a PA resident and has a clean record. I would have him fill out a bill of sale and everything. Is there anything wrong with this? he does not have the money to buy a new / used shotgun right now.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Question That I Need Help With Tonight

someone correct me if i am wrong. but i believe you can "gift" a weapon to him, be it a pistol or shot gun or whatever.. he is over 18 so he can own a gun..

ETA: there does not need to be a FFL transfer between relatives..
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    someone correct me if i am wrong. but i believe you can "gift" a weapon to him, be it a pistol or shot gun or whatever.. he is over 18 so he can own a gun..

ETA: there does not need to be a FFL transfer between relatives..
    I may be (and probably am) wrong, but I thought it could only go downhill, like parent to child, grandparent to child.

But if he does have a clean record, why not do the transfer "legally" (leagally meaning if a sibling cannot gift another sibling a gun) and go through a FFL? He is old enough to purchase a shotgun, even at the deep discounted price of $.01.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Washington County)

well i do not really want to do a transfer at a FFL because I will want it back after He moves home and dont really want to spend 80 dollars in transfer fees. It is a long gun so it can be sold FTF but is there anything wrong with selling it to him now and then buying back when he he moves home after schools out.
    Last edited by Mr_Anderson; November 1st, 2008 at 08:53 PM.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    well i do not really want to do a transfer at a FFL because I will want it back after He moves home and dont really want to spend 80 dollars in transfer fees. It is a long gun so it can be sold FTF but is there anything wrong with selling it to him now and then buying back when he he moves home after schools out.
    IANAL, but as long as he is not a prohibited person, why would you not be able to sell a long gun FTF regardless of who it is, than decide to buy it back in a while?. I am not sure I see the problem with that. But again IANAL..

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    I may be (and probably am) wrong, but I thought it could only go downhill, like parent to child, grandparent to child.
    I think it goes both ways. The exemption is for "transfers between" the exempted individuals. It doesn't say from a parent to a child.

A long arm won't help him outside the home though.

How long til he turns 21? I'd look into a self defense course as well. Legally speaking of course, outside the home he's screwed.

Illegally speaking, those guys who attacked were carrying firearms illegally in the comission of a crime...he could choose to carry but that would have to be HIS decision since it would be illegal.

I was mugged at knifepoint before I turned 21, and at gunpoint at the drive through where I was working at the time (16 years old). I decided to chance it with the mugging and fought back (successfully). The gun...I just sidestepped and called 911 (he couldnt' fit through the DT window and cant shoot through a brick wall).

(Jefferson County)

As long as his record is clean:

long gun - you can gift, trade, sell him one just like you would a TV or box fan.

handgun - you can gift, trade, sell him one but it would have to transferred at a Sheriff's office, and only a Sheriff's office. FFL's can only do transfers for those 21yo for handguns. Only a couple Sheriffs in the state knows the law well enough and will do it.

Transfers between spouses, children, parents, grandparents and grandchildren are the only exemptions from PA's regulation that do not require the PSP transfer paperwork and subsequent PICS check.

(Luzerne County)

Get him some pepper spray. A long gun will not help if he is mugged on the street.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    A long arm won't help him outside the home though.

How long til he turns 21? I'd look into a self defense course as well. Legally speaking of course, outside the home he's screwed.

Illegally speaking, those guys who attacked were carrying firearms illegally in the comission of a crime...he could choose to carry but that would have to be HIS decision since it would be illegal.

I was mugged at knifepoint before I turned 21, and at gunpoint at the drive through where I was working at the time (16 years old). I decided to chance it with the mugging and fought back (successfully). The gun...I just sidestepped and called 911 (he couldnt' fit through the DT window and cant shoot through a brick wall).
    He dose not turn 21 until May at that point school is over and he is living at home.

As this all happened right out side his apartment building he is worried that the guy that lost all his teeth will be a little up set about that and figure out exactly where they live. Then he can have his revenge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast