Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Dulling or Blackening a Stainless AR Barrel

I've got 2 stainless AR barrels that I would like to dull down - I don't want to invest in having them Robarred or the like so this is pretty much a DIY project.

I know Parkerizing is a no-go for stainless and I don't like "Paint" finishes (Rattle Can, GunKote, Dura-cote, etc. - Personal preference) so I'm thinking media blasting and/or some kind of chemical finish.

Blasting:

I'm assuming that I'll end up with a "Target Grey" finish - Yes or no?

I've got a blasting cabinet, but no experience w/stainless ... or blasting barrels for that matter.

I've got walnut hulls and sand. What media should I use?

I'll obviously tape-off both ends of the barrel (muzzle threads and extension), but do I need to tape-off the gas-port area or the entire gas-journal length too to prevent sealing problems at the gas-port? If not do I need to plug the gas-port to prevent erosion and if so, any recommendations.

Chemical finishes:

I am aware of Caswell's Stainless Steel Blackener 370 (http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm) but it seems to have variable results and durability. From what I gathered, blasting immediately before would be a good idea to rough-up the surface to better accept the solution. Any thoughts or alternatives?

Do, and how do, you plug the barrel ends & gas port when parking/dip finishing?

(Venango County)

Default Re: Dulling or Blackening a Stainless AR Barrel

Can't help ya with the paint or chemical part, but I can with the blasting.

You can blast the stainless and it will make it a dull gray color. Take a look at the S&W 1911 frames, they blast parts of their stainless frames. It will give you some idea of what it looks like.

I'm pretty sure the walnut media will be useless. Stainless steel is some very hard shit!. The sand may work better, it depends on the level of blasting you want. If you use a courser media the stainless will be slightly rougher feeling and will be a darker gray in color. Here's a link to website that can explain the different media and it has other info: http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...ting-media.htm

If you plan on doing it yourself I would suggest you go to a steel supplier (check the phone book), and get a small piece of stainless and try your blaster and media on it instead of your gun barrels. You may not be able to get a course enough blast with your equipment and media. If you can't I would suggest checking the phone book or asking the steel supplier if they know of anyone that can do the work for you. Doing two gun barrels would only take a few minutes with the right equipment and media, and it shouldn't cost that much to have them do it.

Good luck. Post pics of your project so we can see how it turns out.

(Blair County)

With a home blaster (Chinese), I have used Black Beauty, a slag product, for blasting firearms. You can test the blast pattern on a portion of the barrel under the hand guard. I would check Brownell’s site for chemical blackening.
    Steve

(Monroe County)

I have done quite a few stainless barrels to mute them down and the best way I found was useing Red Oxide blast media in a cabinet. It gives you a nice dull battleship grey look. Just make sure you protect the crown and chamber because red oxide is quite aggresive.

Rich W.

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the tips.

I've got some small stainless scraps around somewhere and I'll give it a try when I'm blasting my woodstove w/ sand and see how it goes. If it isn't aggressive enough, I'll hunt some of the Black Beauty or red oxide.

I've got a local guy who stripped a trailer frame for me if I can't make it work myself.

get some heat shrink. you can take the barrel down to nothing, put one tube of heat shrink on it, shrink it down and then cut off the spots that have the front sight mounted and what not then re-assemble.
    This Space For Rent

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    get some heat shrink. you can take the barrel down to nothing, put one tube of heat shrink on it, shrink it down and then cut off the spots that have the front sight mounted and what not then re-assemble.
    Now that one of the most creative things I've ever heard in the gunsmithing realm.

I'll have to ponder the pros and cons for my set-up a while. Thanks

(Blair County)

I dumb question but could you powder coat it or steel wool it. I have done this with motorcycle parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiro View Post
    I dumb question but could you powder coat it or steel wool it. I have done this with motorcycle parts.
    you could. it wouldnt hurt anything and a cood powder coat applier could get it done right without obstructing any of the important areas. i would leave the gas block on it as the extra thickness of the block might make it tough to get on and off.

brushing it with steel wool would dull it a good bit, but not as much as i think the OP is looking.
    This Space For Rent

(Lycoming County)

i powder coat, and i would powder coat it for you if you would like that done. my prices are very reasonable. and if you find a lower price i'll beat it. i was actually getting ready to do a post on a group deal, if there where enough people interested in it. i can do any color you guys might be interested in, so please let me know. and if not good luck with your ar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast