Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default SGL 183 range is OPEN

For all interested, the range has been open since Monday.
    They really did a good job, I was there on Tuesday, and today.
    You'll notice that they turned steel bars holding targets small edge facing shooters.
    That will minimize damage by so called "snipers"
    Best

Dan

(Wayne County)

Default Re: SGL 183 range is OPEN

I was there today....not much different. The mounds look like they'd be good for quading. I thought they would have installed new benches but they're the same as before.

I counted about 14 cars there today @ 2pm. It was so crowded. First "Clear" was almost a 1/2 hour....not to mention people were shooting shotguns. I would have said something but what can you really do? Unloading 10+ rounds @ a time...I must have saw 5 people shooting shotguns. 3/4 of the cars there had nj/ny plates. Range hasn't even been open a month and they're already destroying it.

One party didn't understand how to shoot. They said..can we shoot? I said why not??....It was really odd. They were dressed like they were from the ghetto...wouldn't be surprised if they shot horizontally...They didn't know what "clear" was so already you have someone going downrange when it's still "hot" To top the day off, my Walther died after 10 rounds...i'm a little ticked. I have to take it to the gunsmith tomorrow. I bought it used and barely put 15 rounds through it.
    Last edited by SFMarine; November 2nd, 2008 at 08:49 PM.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Pike County)

I was there from 8 am to about 10 am on Sunday, everything was normal.
    Did see spent shotgun shells in carboard box near the barrel.
    Warden is there EVERY day, just a matter of time, before he gets someone.
    In case you want to contact him, his phone # is
    570 675 1143 his name Mark Kropa
    Best

Dan

(Montgomery County)

Why can't you shoot a shotgun?

I don't understand why you couldn't?

I don't understand why we have magazine capacities there either!

Just install flags on the benches.

Once a flag is up you must stop shooting after your magazine is empty and then clear the firearm so people can check their targets.

That's it, simple.

(Tioga County)

I'm not near that gamelands but i think I know the reason for the shotguns. They were from NY/NJ. I,m originally from Jersey. They are using the gamelands range to practice their skills for use in their home states. NJ a shotgun only state and NY with many shotgun only area's.
    There are two or three areas in NJ that Fish and game let people use to practice. So, they come to PA to shoot. They know nothing about ranges or shooting for that matter.
    They don't care about the gamelands range. They don't pay for it. So, they play games and have themselves a great time while destroying the range. They have no brains. They don't know how much money it costs the Game commission to maintain their ranges. Most think all they do is dump a pile of dirt for a backstop. They do not think about the cost of disposing the lead filled soil, etc.
    Its a shame that they can't act like civilized humans. Reminds me of one reason why I left the state.
    I hope they catch them and fine them heavily. That they will understand.
    I feel bad for you guys that want to use the range in a proper manner. Be careful around those "sportsmen".

I checked it out Saturday and I thought it looked pretty good. It was a zoo, I never go on weekends. I could never understand the point of shooting shotgun bird loads at the pistol and rifle range unless you are getting ready for turkey season. Shooting stationary targets with a shotgun isn't very challenging. I think the capacity rules are stupid, and giving out fines is just another way to screw you and make more money for the corrupt PGC. I would really like to see the range closed to non-residents since they only ruin everything and aren't paying taxes to keep the range open. Plus most of them are a bunch of idiots. We have enough idiots in PA, we don't need more. This range is the only place around to shoot, It's a shame I'm nervous about my safety everytime I go there. Also NEVER LEAVE YOUR GUN UNATTENDED TO CHECK TARGETS, especially on the pistol range. I heard guys wait in the bushes for you to check targets and grab your gun. They take off and jump in their car parked nearby.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Wayne County)

I agree with you there by making it open only to Pa residents BUT, it will never happen. I get nervous there sometimes too..there's a lot of idiots. One guy just started going downrange when it was hot....but we've all seen that. As far as the "bushes thing" that may be an urban legend..but you never know and it seems very plausible. This is why I try and go with someone. If I'm alone, I'll walk a few steps and keep an eye on the bench. Of course always having a sidearm @ the ready just in case I have to chase someone down.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

I always carry my pistol when I check targets. I know you're not supposed to but I don't care. I don't know if the bushes story is true or not, but that's what a guy at the range told me. He was a good guy, safe and seemed trustworthy so it made me think twice. I've seen some interesting things there so nothing would surprise me. One time I had a car load of dirtbags from Jersey ask me if they could rent guns at the range. I told them no, then they asked if they could pay me to shoot mine. I started laughing. I was glad my pistol was loaded and on my hip at the time. There were four of them and I was alone.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Luzerne County)

I've had my share of experiences with non-residents, primairly at the SGL #127 range, but what are you going to do.....have a PGC officer at a sign in desk at the range?

What about non-residents who buy hunting licenses? By buying those licenses, they are adding money which would be used to maintain those ranges.

What about PA residents that don't hunt, but use and abuse the ranges? No money coming in from them.

The ranges are free and open to anyone to use, provided they follow the rules. I have a lot of high capacity stuff, but I don't see the need to stand there with a 30-round magazine and empty it into a target.

(Northampton County)

not to be an ass....

but i seen alot of PA / NJ / NY guys destroying everything.

i seen a PA guy get crushed by a Warden for shooting a post.
    its everybody....few ruin it for the rest. what else is new ?

it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know safe gun handling.
    and it takes one mistake to shut all the ranges down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast