Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Public Library?

(Allegheny County)

Default Public Library?

I have a question regarding carry at a Public library. I under stand that a library is not on the list of prohibited places however, My wife and I were at the local library this evening checking out the recently opened children's section. This section of the library actually was expanded by remodeling part of a borough storage garage in an adjoining building. The interesting part of the new section is the fact that there is a doorway which leads down a hallway into the District Court. This door is an egress only door as there is no handle on the library side and as stated it, prior to the library remodel, would have gone into a storage facility for the borough. Considering these circumstances, is carry in the library legal? There are no "free acess" points of contact between the two entities, and there are no signs or places to secure a weapon at the library.

Just thought it was an interesting scenario, I believe it would be legal but wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Public Library?

The below comments are my opinion. I am not a lawyer!

The hallway itself could easily be considered an "adjoining corridor", and as such, a prohibited place. The library itself does not fall under any definitions of a "court facility" per §913(f).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FFEMT128 View Post
    I have a question regarding carry at a Public library. I under stand that a library is not on the list of prohibited places however, My wife and I were at the local library this evening checking out the recently opened children's section. This section of the library actually was expanded by remodeling part of a borough storage garage in an adjoining building. The interesting part of the new section is the fact that there is a doorway which leads down a hallway into the District Court. This door is an egress only door as there is no handle on the library side and as stated it, prior to the library remodel, would have gone into a storage facility for the borough. Considering these circumstances, is carry in the library legal? There are no "free acess" points of contact between the two entities, and there are no signs or places to secure a weapon at the library.

Just thought it was an interesting scenario, I believe it would be legal but wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks
    you don't have to guess.
    18 Pa.C.S.A. 913(d)
    "(d) Posting of notice.--Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility and at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a)." (emphasis supplied)

If it's not posted, you didn't know and they can't convict.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    you don't have to guess.
    18 Pa.C.S.A. 913(d)
    "(d) Posting of notice.--Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility and at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a)." (emphasis supplied)

If it's not posted, you didn't know and they can't convict.
    I wonder if that goes for Post Offices also? The East York branch has no sign on the door to the public area, but a no guns sign next to the door to the offices and such. I know that PO's are supposed to be off limits, but shouldn't the sign be on the door and since it's not, I should be safe in carrying when I go in to do my mailing stuff.

(Allegheny County)

I figured it was legal, just wanted to get the opinions of others. Thanks.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    I wonder if that goes for Post Offices also? The East York branch has no sign on the door to the public area, but a no guns sign next to the door to the offices and such. I know that PO's are supposed to be off limits, but shouldn't the sign be on the door and since it's not, I should be safe in carrying when I go in to do my mailing stuff.
    Be careful here. Pa. law clearly mandated the signage for courthouses. AFAIK, there is no such provision for the Federal regulations in regard to Post Offices. Theoretically, you could be cited for violation, and "I didn't know" would not necessarily get you acquitted.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jpavoncello View Post
    913 applies to Pa. court facilities. It has nothing to do with Federally regulated post offices, court facilities, or any other Federal property.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Lebanon County)

So when we're talking about the PUBLIC library, does that mean it's NOT private property? I mean, can they NOT prohibit carry there at all?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    So when we're talking about the PUBLIC library, does that mean it's NOT private property? I mean, can they NOT prohibit carry there at all?
    In this case the library is in a building owned by the borough. The District Court has an emergency egress through the library. As stated above and was how I would interpret the situation.....

The hallway itself could easily be considered an "adjoining corridor", and as such, a prohibited place. The library itself does not fall under any definitions of a "court facility" per §913(f).
    The library is not prohibited. I am not sure of the ownership of the library, I believe that is community owned since it is named XXXXXXX Public Library, hence not private property in anyway.

(Lebanon County)

Ok I meant generally speaking about a public library. Our public library is a building by itself.