Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default NH Permit - Easy as pie, but worthwhile?

I got my NH out-of-state permit today, about one month from time of application. Couldn't have been easier. It's a good solid plastic credit card version with all of one's personal information on it, lacking only a picture id.

One caveat, though... thought I'd mention it because I think some folks here are under the misconception that this non-resident permit holds weight in other states with reciprocity agreements.

They have this text in bold on their website:

Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.
    So this, in effect, means that the non-resident permit doesn't really help you anywhere else. I don't remember seeing that text on their website when I first downloaded the application awhile back, but it's there now.

Or do other states' reciprocity agreements find the non-resident NH permit "good enough", regardless of the claim by NH?

Another question... does NH merely consider the fact that you have your home state's LTCF good enough for them to issue you their version, or does NH actually do a national criminal system background check?

You'd think they would do a national system check for themselves, but does anyone know FOR SURE?
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; October 29th, 2008 at 05:02 PM.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: NH Permit - Easy as pie, but worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    I got my NH out-of-state permit today, about one month from time of application. Couldn't have been easier. It's a good solid plastic credit card version with all of one's personal information on it, lacking only a picture id.

One caveat, though... thought I'd mention it because I think some folks here are under the misconception that this non-resident permit holds weight in other states with reciprocity agreements.

So this, in effect, means that the non-resident permit doesn't really help you anywhere else. I don't remember seeing that text on their website when I first downloaded the application awhile back, but it's there now.

Or do other states' reciprocity agreements find the non-resident NH permit "good enough", regardless of the claim by NH?

Another question... does NH merely consider the fact that you have your home state's LTCF good enough for them to issue you their version, or does NH actually do a national criminal system background check?

You'd think they would do a national system check for themselves, but does anyone know FOR SURE?
    The card can say whatever they want... What do statutes say?

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/.../159/159-6.htm

159:6 License to Carry. –
    I. The selectmen of a town or the mayor or chief of police of a city or some full-time police officer designated by them respectively, upon application of any resident of such town or city, or the director of state police, or some person designated by such director, upon application of a nonresident, shall issue a license to such applicant authorizing the applicant to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in this state for not less than 4 years from the date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose, and that the applicant is a suitable person to be licensed. Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued. The license shall be in duplicate and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee. The original shall be delivered to the licensee and the duplicate shall be preserved by the people issuing the same for 4 years. When required, license renewal shall take place within the month of the fourth anniversary of the license holder's date of birth following the date of issuance. The license shall be issued within 14 days after application, and, if such application is denied, the reason for such denial shall be stated in writing, the original of which such writing shall be delivered to the applicant, and a copy kept in the office of the person to whom the application was made. The fee for licenses issued to residents of the state shall be $10, which fee shall be for the use of the law enforcement department of the town granting said licenses; the fee for licenses granted to out-of-state residents shall be $20, which fee shall be for the use of the state. The director of state police is hereby authorized and directed to prepare forms for the licenses required under this chapter and forms for the application for such licenses and to supply the same to officials of the cities and towns authorized to issue the licenses. No other forms shall be used by officials of cities and towns. The cost of the forms shall be paid out of the fees received from nonresident licenses.
    II. No photograph or fingerprint shall be required or used as a basis to grant, deny, or renew a license to carry for a resident or nonresident, unless requested by the applicant.
    http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...OC-XII-159.htm (for a full list of related statutes)

I don't see that provision anywhere... Maybe I'm missing something...

I'd also argue, as in PA, the issuing authority lacks authority to restrict your LTC... A sheriff could write, "not valid in bars, trains, discos, or airports", but does that really have any weight?

That's a good catch though... I'll write their AG and post the response here.
    Last edited by mjf; October 29th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    The card can say whatever they want... What do statutes say?

That's a good catch though... I'll write their AG and post the response here.
    Note that it's listed on their website where you download the application, but it says nothing on the card itself.

Rep for thinking about writing the AG... never crossed my mind.

But if, as you say, the issuing state has no authority to restrict usage in other states, it's really OUR AG to whom the question should be addressed, because if NH has no right to restrict then the actual laws that pertain here will be those of the given state in question, not NH... in re: does the other state recognize the NH non-resident permit, regardless of what NH says about it... right?

Be very interested to hear what the AG says about it... both their AG and our AG, if possible.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; October 29th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

that's strange. i think they are actually wrong. it's up to the state in which the carrying takes place, not the issuing state, whether or not the state will accept non-resident permits.

NH may not recognize non-resident permits, but that doesn't mean other states won't accept a non-resident NH permit.

for example, PA recognizes non-resident permits and has reciprocity with NH. this means you can carry in PA with a non-resident NH permit...as the only laws that matter when carrying in PA are PA laws. NH laws do not come into play at all.

but, if NH does not recognize non-resident permits/licenses, you could not carry in NH on a non-resident PA LTCF...as, in that case, NH law is all that matters and PA laws do not come into play at all.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; October 29th, 2008 at 05:27 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    that's strange. i think they are actually wrong. it's up to the state in which the carrying takes place, not the issuing state, whether or not the state will accept non-resident permits.

NH may not recognize non-resident permits, but that doesn't mean other states won't accept a non-resident NH permit.

for example, PA recognizes non-resident permits and has reciprocity with NH. this means you can carry in PA with a non-resident NH permit...as the only laws that matter when carrying in PA are PA laws. NH laws do not come into play at all.

but, if NH does not recognize non-resident permits/licenses, you could not carry in NH on a non-resident PA LTCF...as, in that case, NH law is all that matters and PA laws do not come into play at all.
    So the question is, does PA (and/or other states) recognize the NH non-resident permit, REGARDLESS of NH saying it's only valid within NH.

Just to reiterate, I'm pretty sure this quoted text wasn't on their website a month ago when I went to download the application, because I read the whole webpage and something like that would have jumped out at me... and would have been mentioned in my earlier thread about NH permits being easy to get.

Maybe it's something they recently added now that the "word is out" how easy NH is in issuing permits? Maybe they're trying to cover their butts on any possible future issues about them having issued a permit to someone that commits a crime? Who knows?

(Allegheny County)

So the question is, does PA (and/or other states) recognize the NH non-resident permit, REGARDLESS of NH saying it's only valid within NH.
    that is the question, but that question is to be answered by PA (or whatever other state), not by NH.

and somewhere around here someone posted a letter from the PA attorney general's office that specifically states that PA does recognize non-resident permits (this was in response to some police...either the state police or philly PD i think...saying they would not recognize non-resident permits. the AG basically said "um, yes you will").

FWIW... The archived page from Feb. 12, 2008 does not have that caveat mentioned. That date is the latest one available from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    FWIW... The archived page from Feb. 12, 2008 does not have that caveat mentioned. That date is the latest one available from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.
    Yeah, I find this a little fishy.

(Franklin County)

simply put, yes it IS good here,

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Firearm Reciprocity Agreements

In 1995, the Pennsylvania General Assembly gave the Attorney General the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania currently has formal written reciprocity agreements with fourteen states that recognize a valid license to carry firearms issued by Pennsylvania. Conversely, Pennsylvania recognizes valid firearm carry licenses/permits from those states. In addition to the 14 formal agreements, other forms of reciprocity are applicable.

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania - Frequently asked questions (by the Pennsylvania State Police)

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

Categories of Firearms Reciprocity

Under Pennsylvania law, there are six categories of firearms reciprocity status.

Category 1: States that have entered into written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania. (Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6109(k))

The following states have entered into formal written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania under section 6109(k) of the Uniform Firearms Act. These agreements provide for reciprocal recognition of valid licenses/permits issued by both states. Recognition in Pennsylvania is based on the individual's issuance of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.

A list of these states and links to their firearms laws is provided below, along with the text of the agreements:

Alaska
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Alaska
    Read Alaska's official information on gun laws
    Arizona
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Arizona
    Read Arizona's official information on gun laws
    Arkansas
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Arkansas
    Read Arkansas' official information on gun laws
    Florida
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Florida
    Review Florida's official information on gun laws
    Georgia
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Georgia
    Contact the Georgia Office of Attorney General
    Kentucky
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Kentucky
    Review Kentucky's official information on gun laws
    Michigan
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Michigan
    Review Michigan's official information on gun laws
    Missouri
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Missouri
    Review Missouri's official information on gun laws
    New Hampshire
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with New Hampshire
    Review New Hampshire's official information on gun laws
    North Carolina
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with North Carolina
    Read North Carolina's official information on gun laws
    Oklahoma
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Oklahoma
    Read Oklahoma's official information on gun laws
    South Dakota
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with South Dakota
    Read South Dakota's official information on gun laws
    Tennessee
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Tennessee
    Read Tennessee's official information on gun laws
    Texas
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Texas
    Review Texas's official information on gun laws
    Virginia
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Virginia
    Review Virginia's official information on gun laws
    West Virginia
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with West Virginia
    Review West Virginia's official information on gun laws
    Wyoming
    Read Pennsylvania's Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with Wyoming
    Review Wyoming's official information on gun laws

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by chesire17201 View Post
    simply put, yes it IS good here,

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Firearm Reciprocity Agreements

Carrying Firearms in Pennsylvania - Frequently asked questions (by the Pennsylvania State Police)

Note: It has come to the attention of the Office of Attorney General that there has been confusion over the applicability of Pennsylvania's reciprocal privileges with regard to the residency status of an individual who has been issued a valid license/permit. It is the position of the Office of Attorney General that recognition within Pennsylvania is based on the issuance to an individual of a valid license/permit by the reciprocal contracting state, and not on the license/permit holder's place of residence.
    Nice job, Cheshire... rep your way.

Now... who wants to enlighten NH and tell them they should change their website, for some additional rep?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast