Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shipping a rifle

What is the law/regulation on shipping a rifle. Example:
    Joe private seller has a old rifle I want to buy. Is it legal for him to ship it directly to me? What carrier will ship firearms? UPS? Fed Ex? USPS?
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Default Re: Shipping a rifle

"We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Bedford County)

Still has to be shipped to a FFL.

You can sell FTF without paperwork unless you know the buyer is NOT allowed to own it.

In you case the seller must ship to the buyers FFL.

UPS and Fed Ex will ship them if you go to a authorized shipping center. Not every UPS or Fed Ex shipping point will take firearms.

FFL's can shp USPS, but I don't think a private seller can. I'm not 100% sure on the USPS.

Thanks for the attitude and the link.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Buckamark, thanks for the reply but it's contrary to one reply in the link jdlv posted. So whats the real deal?
    - Albert Einstein

(Montgomery County)

in PA, if you are selling a longarm to someone here, and they are not a prohibited person, you may ship it directly to them.

NON-FFLs may not ship handguns thru the USPS, they have to go fedex, UPS, etc.

NON-FFLS MAY ship a long arm thru the USPS, its legal.

Always remember, if its going out of state for a sale, or transfer to someone other than yourself, , it must go thru a FFL on the receiving end...thems the rules.

keep the main ATF FAQ page bookmarked for info on this sort of stuff.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

ATF FAQ:

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]
    Last edited by JayBell; March 11th, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Bedford County)

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

I stand corrected. I went back through my info, and Jay Bell is indeed correct.

Sorry for my bad info in my original post.

(Erie County)

Smile Re: Shipping a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Jay5oh View Post
    What is the law/regulation on shipping a rifle. Example:
    Joe private seller has a old rifle I want to buy. Is it legal for him to ship it directly to me? What carrier will ship firearms? UPS? Fed Ex? USPS?
    If you are an FFL holder YES.If you have a C&R and the rifle is a C&R YES.Otherwise NO.It is legal to ship via USPS-rifles ONLY-or FEDEX and UPS-handguns and rifles.
    LEGUM SERVI SUMUS UT LIBERI ESSE POSSIMUS