Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle upgrade

(Allegheny County)

Default Rifle upgrade

This is something that I've been thinking about for a while and would like to get everyone's opinion as I know people here know a lot more about this than I do.

I have a stock .270 Weatherby Vanguard. I would like to take some precision rifle classes next year. Mainly just to upgrade my marksmanship. I really don't plan on shooting over 200 to 300 yards. Now, I know that some of these classes will have you shooting up to 600 yards.

1. I don't know anything about ballistics, so is the .270 good/bad/average going out to those distances (both 200/300 and/or 600)?

2. Increasing the accuracy ... from reading the boards, it sounds like I should free float the barrel. Is that correct? Anything else? I know that there is a ton I could do but I'm not looking to drop a ton of $$.

btw .. it has a Leupold scope and rings. Not sure which scope and it's not at my house to check. The scope is old probably 10 - 15yrs.

Thanks
    mojo
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(York County)

Default Re: Rifle upgrade

i too have a weatherby vanguard in .270 but its a .270 wsm, now i have never shot my rifle over 100 yards so i cant swear to any accuracy test, but i have heard of them being able to shoot a paper plate @ 500.

Now the best my gun has ever shot (3 shots @ 100 yards) is .32 and ive shot a few 3 shot groups in the .3's but its honest average group is probably just over and 1 inch but sometimes worst, so its not the best shooting gun..im also shooting reloads BTW.

So with my gun shooting around 1.25 - 1.5 moa @ 100 yards i would expect it to shoot somewhere just under a 3 inch group @ 200 and probably around 4-6 inches @ 300, but like i said thats just a guess, i really dont know what it would actually shoot, but i would expect those kind of groups with my gun shooting the way it does.

As far as getting work done to it, the first thing i would have done is trigger work, these (vanguards) are known to have nasty creeps in them, and mine was no different, so if your trigger has creep in it thats what i would do first.
    have you shot your gun? if your getting 1 inch groups consistantly, i mean all day from a cold barrel then i wouldnt float my barrel, i did get my barrel floated and it made my groups a whole lot worse, and i had a glass block put in the front for the pressure it was telling me it wanted, and ive read about vanguards and its 50-50 pretty much on floating the barrel, half of them had their groups open up and the others say it made them shoot great, so that kinda your call on your own gun...then the last thing that i would consider is maybe "truing" or blueprinting the action, my vanguard grinds my cases all the time and i really should have the action trued.

if you got any more questions about vanguards just ask, im not an expert by no means, but i have tested several variables with mine, and will let you know if ive had the same problem or whatever..hope i helped
    "Skin that'n pilgrim, and I'll git ya another"

(Allegheny County)

I've definitely shot the gun ... harvested a few deer with it.

Haven't shot in a while, and never really measured my groups. I do plan on shooting it a lot more and getting very familiar with it.

So a trigger job should be high on the list. Any recommendations?

Arch007er ... I do remember reading some of your posts about your Vanguard. Didn't you decide to go with a different rifle?
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

(Blair County)

My wife, and sometimes I, ran the 600-yard F-Class matches at Reade Range for about five years. Trust me, your 270 will be just fine. We never had a scoped hunting rifle that we could not get on-target (not true of 1000 yards though). The best way to tighten your groups would be to handload. If not that, use Federal premium ammo. Don’t worry about the quality of the scope, any good hunting scope will be OK.
    Steve

(Allegheny County)

I don't reload correctly ... and don't see me doing it anything in the near future. I know that will help significantly but don't think I'm up for it right now.

So nothing wrong with .270, that's good to hear.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    I've definitely shot the gun ... harvested a few deer with it.

Haven't shot in a while, and never really measured my groups. I do plan on shooting it a lot more and getting very familiar with it.

So a trigger job should be high on the list. Any recommendations?

Arch007er ... I do remember reading some of your posts about your Vanguard. Didn't you decide to go with a different rifle?
    No i didnt go with a diff. rifle, this one was an engagement gift from my pops, but honestly in hindsight i would have went with different rifle probably a tikka, but anyway, as far as your trigger job question, are you asking what gunsmith would i recommend to work on your trigger, or what new trigger would i recommend you buy and have installed in your gun?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Arch007er View Post
    ... as far as your trigger job question, are you asking what gunsmith would i recommend to work on your trigger, or what new trigger would i recommend you buy and have installed in your gun?
    how about both?

(York County)

I mean the top of the line triggers are gonna cost a few hundred $$, (i would recommend a jewel if you want to spend that much and if they make one for a vanguard) but a timney def makes one for vanguards (for under $100)and that should work just fine for what your gonna be using the rifle for, but that might be overkill.

As far as gunsmiths, i really only use one (other than getting a barrel chambered, etc.) and thats Dave Grimm and he is in craley, pa. I dont think he is listed as an actual shop, actually i think he might be retired.. but he is very very good and cheap (thats sounds funny putting those two words together) i think my trigger job was $25 and $30 to float the barrel, and he's damn good. IMHO i would probably get the trigger "shaved" a little if you dont want to spend too much $ but if you dont mind spending the money go with a aftermarket trigger
    Last edited by Arch007er; October 28th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.

(Lawrence County)

I don't think Weatherby guns support the premier drop in triggers (like the Jewell), but you should be able to purchase a Timney to get to 1.5lbs

Free floating will make most groups more consistent, but won't make the gun accurate all by itself. For that, you will need to reload and experiment or buy a lot of ammo and experiment. Every gun is different and will like a tailored load. I'd start with a Sierra Match King or Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet for a decent baseline.

Lycangoodshootingthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks guys, that gives me something to look into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast