Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beyond .270...

Default Re: Beyond .270...

If you're looking for a large rifle, I'd first recommend a .300 to you. I can honestly say that the .300 winmag is my favorite caliber of rifle. I'm fixing to build a custom rifle on the .300 WSM (winchester short magnum). I know for a fact that it burns less powder and has comparable velocities. I have a friend that owns a .300 WSM and he told me that his WSM kicks only about 2/3's as hard as his same rifle chambered in .300 winmag. I've read alot about comparing the short magnums to the long action magnums, and apparently there is a slight, but measurable difference in accuracy between the two. Apparently the primer flash on the short magnums consistently ignites just a bit more powder in the short magnums, which results in more consistency in accuracy. You can take that for what it's worth, but especially if you're reloading, using less powder and getting less recoil, the WSM is the way to go.

Someone made a comment about the .308 and 30-06. Personally I don't like the .308 for alot of applications, because of the ballistics. As a hunter I normally shoot at unknown distances, or close to unknown distances, because of the ballistics of the .308, it's a very bad caliber for this. Sure, it's a consistent caliber, but not optimal for that kind of shooting. A 30-06 is a pretty great caliber, a bit slow, but still a very good caliber. My whole thing with that is, if you're gonna shoot a 30-06, you might as well shoot a 7mm mag or .300 winmag, because it's not a huge jump in recoil, some but not a bunch. Hope that helps and best of luck to ya.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Beyond .270...

What do you plan on hunting? A .270will handle all but the big bears if you do your part. It is not the OPTIMAL cal for elk/moose but it will and has done it many times. I would look hard and long before jumping on the WSM band wagon. Not knocking them, but I believe there can be some troubles cycling rounds with that configuration of cartridge. For an "All Arounder" you will not go wrong with .270, .308, .30-06(which I personally prefer) or 7mm Mag. A .300 win mag is an EXCELLENT round also, but if you hunt in the thickets of PA here, you do not need the reach or recoil of it, Take a good look at the all arounders as I tend to refer to them, for just that, all around hunting. You can play with PLENTY of weights and bullet types in any of those. Now if your in the market for something more, thats another story. Just my $.02. Good luck with the choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12