Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default federal 4 buck 12 ga

ok so i picked up some ammo to try out for hd...
    specs. federal #4buck
    12 ga
    2 3/4
    34 pellet

so i was shooting about 30 remington slugs before i went to test the new ammo.....i put 5 rounds in my 870 18 inch barrel with knoxx spec ops......first shot bang, rack slide eject hull, then a click, rack slide again, bang and so on.....the load was so hot that during recoil the forend flew back ejected the hull but when i pushed it foreward, it didnt pick up a new shell......

so i got my next five shells and this time pushed the forend front while recoil, and it worked perfect everytime

this is point proof why you need to test ammo before depending on it, if i wouldnt have i would have thought after the first shot i had a new shell ready to go but i didnt....could have been bad

but in closing the federal #4 buck is one hot load that should be great for hd without so much wall penetration

Default Re: federal 4 buck 12 ga

Something about this doesn't sountd quite right. I've never had a pump gun help me extract and eject a spent round. Have had them fail to feed.

(Berks County)

well it has to do with the knoxx spec ops stock.....if you dont hold the forend and would shoot it one handed, the forend would slam back and eject the shell....my problem was i wasnt holding the forend tight enough to overcome that factor....but after finding out the problem it was fixed

I still don't get it. Almost sounds like a faulty gun - unlocking prematurely. I am not familiar with the stock you mentioned, but it doesn't sound right. Just concerned that you might have a problem with the firearm that might let you down when you need it. Maybe not though.

(Berks County)

its hard to explain if u dont know what the spec ops stock does......its definitly not the gun, just the new hot loaded ammo that really made the recoil a lot harder and in turn sliding the forend back with a lot of force.......

ps...its not unlocking prematurly, its after the shot has been fired, just like you pulling the forend back but instead the recoil from the shot did it for me
    Last edited by billy870m9; March 11th, 2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: added info

(Centre County)

Very intresting information indeed. I've looked though the Knoxx website and I'm starting to understand how it works and I think I see why this is happening w/ the hot load.
    Billy can you help me understand how they work since you have one. It seems that on the top of the pistol grip there is a liner rail that is connected into the part that connects to the reciver, they can slide together there and inside the grip there is a spring that then deaden's the recoid hence the recoil reduction it provides. Does that sound about right?
    If it does it seems that the round goes off and stays locked up then as it recoils back it hits the back end and stops. Since the foregrip has some weight and its inertia still is rearwards (at this point the breach has unlocked) and allows the rear motion of the foregrip and ejects the shell.

If this is what is really happening (and I'm going completely insane) thats pretty intresting. If I am incorrect (which is possible) then I dont know what to say other than damn thats a hot load. I have not ever seen one of these stock systems though I am definatly intrested in them now that I've researched them some. I think I'll continue searching though the net to night and see if there have been other instances like this.
    Look forward to hearing your response.
    Cheers
    josh

(Berks County)

your pretty much dead on.....like i said i was shooting 1 oz slugs before the #4.....and even with the slugs or actually any type ammo, if i shoot the shotgun one handed the forend will slide back upon recoil, it just depends on the load how far it comes back.....

also i was lookign around online and i found out the the type of #4 buck i got was a magnum load and had more pellets than the normal 27 pellet #4 shot......

i just was not prepared for the amount of recoil of those loads, i would have thought the slugs would have been the most recoil id come across, and i can shoot them all day...

the knoxx spec ops is really worth the money though, it really helps your quick follow up shots, you stay on target better, and my wife even enjoys shooting slugs through it.....