Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Hunting Camp Organizational structures

How is your hunting camp set up from a legal standpoint? Is anybodies camp inocorporated or anything like that? How is the property deeded? We are looking at possibly needing to reorganize our camp since everything was done 60 plus years ago.
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Hunting Camp Organizational structures

Our Hunting camp structure:

Cook -> Owner -> Everyone else

But its our family camp, My cousin bought it, his dad is the cook and basically maintains it and everyone else pitches in.

I assume you mean a hunting camp full of people that pay to hunt the land? If you do I would seriously recommend speaking with a lawyer and drafting up a very clear roles and responsibilities as well as a very solid method of changing these (for example simple voting, etc).

Depending on who is in the camp there can be a LOT of potential legal issues, especially if the camp is in one persons name and they are the "caretaker".

What happens if someone falls down a ladder or is drunk and falls on the stairs? Are you liable because a railing doesn't meet code or because a piece of wood was rotted? etc

Also, camps are expensive to run and they aren't getting cheaper, thats for damn sure, so make sure an equal distribution of costs are in place. Food plots, time spent clearing trails and gas, time spent maintaining property... all are very expensive items and should be taken into consideration.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Cumberland County)

Our camp is in Potter Co and it is basically just the camp and lot, no real acreage. It has always been equal sharing of expenses and simple majority rule, but I can only think of one time where somebody voted against the majority. The thought had come up that if we incorporate, things like property taxes become business expenses and they can be claimed at the end of the year

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    ....The thought had come up that if we incorporate, things like property taxes become business expenses and they can be claimed at the end of the year
    An accountant could be more definitive, but I believe that you need to show a profit to offset any expenses, otherwise your corp is just a hobby.

(Franklin County)

Most hunting camps incorporate or become limited liability organizations for potential liability purposes. Unless you want increased IRS involvement, and paperwork and taxes, you want to be a not-for-profit organization.

(Cumberland County)

That sounds logical, that was discussed as well. I have called my lawyer and he is doing some research, so I thought that I'd help him out a little too and ask how other camps are set up

(Franklin County)

Whose name is on the deed (NOT actual name) ? How many "members"? Do members pay annual dues? What if someone passes away or resigns? Do you have by-laws ?
    Last edited by Ret-Fed; October 28th, 2008 at 09:51 PM.

(Cumberland County)

The name on the deed is Joe T. Hunter, et. al. There are 11 active members and 1 inactive member, the members all pay annual dues and there were bylaws written up in 1951 and revised in the 70's and if someone passes away or resigns, the camp has right of first refusal. Basically we are at the point where Joe T. wants his name off of the deed because he is getting older and we are trying to find our options as far as transferring the deed, protecting ourselves, etc

(Franklin County)

Your club is similar to the one that I belong to; however, we have been "incorporated" for over 20 years. Your attorney will know what is best, but I'm sure he will recommend getting the deed changed to remove actual individual names, and to set up measures to reduce potential liability. Good luck !

(Clearfield County)

we don't get this technical