Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default question regarding hand gun purchase

I decided on purchasing a glock 23; doesn't matter whether it's new or used. It's a first firearm purchase. Would it be worth buying it from a dealer or using a site like gunbroker.com? The prices on gunbroker look very cheap, but is there a risk of problems with the gun because of the cheap price or issues that arise? I understand there will be a need of a FFL transfer with the gunbroker, but my main question is: Dealer or a website like gunbroker? Which is a better way of purchasing my first hand gun.

Also if you would be so kind, what would be the usual prices of a NIB Glock 23 be; if used, how much? I'm just asking because I don't want to be potentially ripped off by a gun shop, or even a used purchase.

Thanks!
    Last edited by firebyyrd; October 28th, 2008 at 01:48 AM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: question regarding hand gun purchase

Dealer on first buy if you can afford it. Sometimes those auction buys aren't so great after you figure in shipping and transfer fees.

With a dealer, you can at least get to inspect it personally prior to handing over cash. Plus a good one will give you additional instructions on maintenance, handling, care and other factors. Some wont offer such services if you dont buy it from them, and for a first time buyer its good to have such help.

Besides that, you help your local economy when buying from the dealer and helps give you a good reputation with him that could lead to discounts in the future on ammo, accessories and other guns. ..maybe not the first couple buys, but surely after that your face will become familiar.

(Lebanon County)

I can't answer your question about cost because I own a glock 26 but I wanted to say....

(Monroe County)

I really think that buying your first gun should be a local experience. Despite the rantings some of us have seen from less experienced store clerks on occasion, they probably do have more experience then a new guy. My suggestion would be to find some shooting buddy (buddies) before you find your gun and take them shopping with you. I don't know any gun guy who wouldn't be willing to help you find a good first gun.

In either case, I notice you're in the Philly area. I'm not too familiar with that area, but if a ride out into Bucks isn't too far, check out http://tannerssportcenter.com/. His prices have always been fair and the staff seems knowledgeable. I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

later,
    AJ

(Berks County)

I'll second the shooting buddies suggestion. Get out to a range with a couple people, try out their guns, ask their opinions, and who knows, maybe you'll find something you like better than the Glock. If not, you can honestly say you made an informed decision when the glock haters jump you for getting one. Either way, try out a few guns before you buy one so you know it fits you. Something as seemingly trivial as the exact angle the grips are at in relation to the slide can make a big difference in how the gun shoots for you.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Delaware County)

might I recommend budsgunshop.com

cheap cheap gun prices on NIB guns....

paid $450 for my CZ-85B nib that has an msrp of around $525.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty