Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Fingerprints ???

Do the requie fingerpirnts for a concealed carry permit in LANCASTER COUNTY, PA?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Fingerprints ???

No, fingerprinting is not required anywhere in the commonwealth.

Give them a call or check their website for requirements
    http://www.pafoa.org/county-detail/l...9-292c605cb05d
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Montgomery County)

fingerprints were required in Montgomery Co to get my first permit (back in 91-92), since then, its just renewl application and record check to be sure.

as he said, check local county requirements.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Indiana County)

Default No Fingerprints!

Title 18 (the Crimes Code), Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes, Section 6109(c) (licensing) states the following in part:

"(c) Form of application and content.--The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police."

This tells us a few things:
    • All applications throughout the Commonwealth have to follow the same steps.
    • All applications have to use the same State Police form.
    • Nothing on the State Police form mentions fingerprints.

Additionally, Section 6120 states: "No county ... may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."
    • An LTCF is required to carry a concealed firearm.
    • As previously mentioned, all LTCF applications have to be uniform statewide.
    • No mention is made of fingerprints in the licensing section.
    • The county sheriff cannot add his/her own fingerprint requirements for an LTCF.

No fingerprints required. No authority to require fingerprints. If asked for and not given, no authority exists for denying the license.

(Centre County)

How old is that law above?
    I got fingerprinted in Montgomery County as well, back in 1993. My question is, if that law was created after I was printed, were my print records destroyed/deleted? I'd bet not and that they're even in the national master database by now. Heck, the way this county's been doing business, Interpol probably even has a copy of 'em.

(Lancaster County)

Since I live in Lancaster unless they somehow got the law changed since 2005 the answer is no fingerprints
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Montgomery County)

you are correct in the law quote, however, the written application (one page) reference doesn't include actions the sheriff takes to verify ID and background.

now they use electronic means, IE PICS or local NCIC link, last renewal, they called me in basically to the same system for a gun check it appeared, and bang, renewed permit.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    you are correct in the law quote, however, the written application (one page) reference doesn't include actions the sheriff takes to verify ID and background.
    I dunno, it's been a long time, but IIRC, I was fingerprinted AFTER I was approved, upon receipt of my license. Jay, since you got yours in Mont Co around the same time, do you remember if this was the case?

(Indiana County)

From everything stated already, the fingerprinting requirement preceded the enactment of the Uniform Firearms Act in 1995. So, before then fingerprints may well have been required, but not since then.

(Montgomery County)

on the fingerprint timing, no, I was fingerprinted at the time of dropping my application off at the office in the courthouse.
    had to roll my own prints actually.

was kinda odd.

Statkowski: possibly very true on the PAUFA date, I donthave a way to verify, but its no matter now, if nobody is doing them:-)