Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gettysburg

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Gettysburg

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Maybe you should contact the Gettysburg museum curators and demand they rid themselves of all their worthless racist historical artifacts...because...white supremacy.
    I don't care what they do with it, but it certainly isn't a draw to me. If you want to see it for its "historical value" , go for it. It just says something about what you value. I've been to Gettysburg a dozen times, and I've never had an inclination to see anything related to Nazi's. There is to much to see of real value versus an armband with a swastika on it.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Cumberland County)

Funny thing about history, you can*t change it. It can be forgotten, it can be rewritten. All history has lessons for us. There are many things in history I may not have an interest in. There are things in history I dislike, find disturbing or just plain bother me at some level. The lesson are still there for us to learn from. The amount of examples of man*s inhumanity to each other has no bounds. Those that think it can*t happen here are not students of history. I don*t disparage anyone*s interest in a particular part of history. For whatever reason they find the lessons from that point in time valuable. I guess the whole point of this is we are students and curators of history. We should preserve it at all levels so the lessons can be learned by those that follow.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Funny thing about history, you can*t change it. It can be forgotten, it can be rewritten. All history has lessons for us. There are many things in history I may not have an interest in. There are things in history I dislike, find disturbing or just plain bother me at some level. The lesson are still there for us to learn from. The amount of examples of man*s inhumanity to each other has no bounds. Those that think it can*t happen here are not students of history. I don*t disparage anyone*s interest in a particular part of history. For whatever reason they find the lessons from that point in time valuable. I guess the whole point of this is we are students and curators of history. We should preserve it at all levels so the lessons can be learned by those that follow.
    I agree completely. What is the history of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, as it relates to WWII and naziism?

(Mercer County)

The Nazis came up with a lot of technical innovations. As someone interested in mechanical and electrical devices, that period is very interesting to me personally. Can't say I support what they did, but they came up with some cool shit. Jet engines and rockets are 2 biggies.

Tim

(Cumberland County)

No tie as I*m concerned. Two different time periods and locations. Not sure why Gettysburg would want the nazi stuff other than trying to attract other folks. Would I mix the two periods? No. But then again I*m me.

(Chester County)

It's a museum.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

History is to be learned from, and remembered , good or bad it must always be there to remind us of our baser urges of hatred and bigotry, or else we forget it exists and repeat it. If the museums are cancelled due to the nature of their exhibitions, just like the civil war statues, we erase our past and wash it away, their relics are there as tangible reminders and the past will be forgotten. Who decides where museums are supposed to be? pushed out to the farthest reaches of society where these relics are rendered harmless to the sensitivities of the easily offended?
    Its like these confederate reenactors forbidden from flying the southern flags at the battles because some find it offensive. seriously grow a thicker skin, mature up a bit and get over it.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I don't care what they do with it, but it certainly isn't a draw to me. If you want to see it for its "historical value" , go for it. It just says something about what you value. I've been to Gettysburg a dozen times, and I've never had an inclination to see anything related to Nazi's. There is to much to see of real value versus an armband with a swastika on it.
    Your assumptions and implications regarding my "values" is starting to piss me off, but I'm going to let it go to avoid getting banned.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    It has zero value, historical or otherwise.
    I would strongly disagree with this. History does repeat itself. We learn from the good and bad. Erasing or trivializing events from the past makes it easier to dismiss what we can learn from the past.

Studying Hitler and nazi Germany is important. Understanding how they effectively used propaganda, marginalization and fear to control the masses is something that everyone should be aware of.

In America today you can see that reflection of people being afraid to speak their minds, marginalizing and trivializing people who aren’t in lock step with government approved messages.

Gettysburg is a historical attraction with museums to learn about the past from. The Nazi concept of ethnic cleansing was horrible, and many think how could it have happened, and some think it could never happen again.

While I don’t know I America is in danger of ethnic cleansing, I could see people at the far ends of the political spectrum being in favor of a political cleansing against people who don’t think as they do.

Knowing what has happened in the past and applying it to the present is the best defense against it happening. The story behind the artifacts gives insight into the zeitgeist of the time and has a lot of historical value.

Lots of museum displays travel around the world to other museums because they are different and gives visitors old and new a reason to travel to the museum where the display is. It no different than a traveling Van Gogh display.

In this case if it sparks interest into the past I am all for it.

Its important to recognize that there are going to be a lot of students of the military at Gettysburg, the battle was epic, the strategies displayed heroic and tragic. I think this makes it an attraction point for students of everything military, regardless of the era.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast