Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Reciprocity, what does it mean

I know that I am allowed to carry in thise states that we have an greement witn, but what is the laws and regs for doing so? Is the fact that I am tlcf good enough to allow me to carry in those states, or are there other factors involved?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Reciprocity, what does it mean

A reciprocity agreement is simply a legal agreement between two states to honor each other's permits.

So a person from VA can carry in PA with their VA license and a person from PA can carry in VA with their PA license.

Both people however will be required to abide by all laws in the state they are carrying in, for example VA has laws regarding concealed carry of firearms in establishments that serve alcohol whereas PA does not. You can't just ignore the VA law because you're carrying with a PA license.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Philadelphia County)

Cool so my ltcf is all I need to keep me legal.

I never even thought about the variations of the laws in these states, GOOD POINT! I suppose if I ever deciede to travel into one of these states, I better do my homework first.

(Chester County)

People make it sound like you have to be a walking law library. No so. You need to know the basic places you can and cant carry and when deadly force is allowed. Also you should know if you "by law" have to disclose to an LEO that you are legaly armed.

I like to carry some paper work from the AG of the state to show a LEO that my LTCF is honered/reciprocity.

www.Packing.org can help

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    I know that I am allowed to carry in thise states that we have an greement witn, but what is the laws and regs for doing so? Is the fact that I am tlcf good enough to allow me to carry in those states, or are there other factors involved?

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184 <--- that link will take you to Pennsylvania's reciprocal agreement page, scroll down on that page to find links for the laws in each state we share a reciprocal agreement with.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184 <--- that link will take you to Pennsylvania's reciprocal agreement page, scroll down on that page to find links for the laws in each state we share a reciprocal agreement with.
    The AG site actually misses a few. For example to the best of my knowledge Vermont has no laws regarding the carry of firearms so anyone can carry there (without any sort of permit). They also do not list Arizona which honors all permits.
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    The AG site actually misses a few. For example to the best of my knowledge Vermont has no laws regarding the carry of firearms so anyone can carry there (without any sort of permit). They also do not list Arizona which honors all permits.
    Thanks for pointing that out Dan, The Pennsylvania AG's list is for reciprocal agreements that PA has with other states, PA does not have a reciprocal agreement with Arizona, although that state lists one with PA as "pending" or Vermont which is why they are not on the list. You are correct that a PA permit is valid those states. But as of right now residents of those states can not carry in PA. Here is some better info on those two states.

http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/reciprocity/default.asp This link is to Arizona's CCW page which in part says:

RECIPROCITY
    Arizona Recognizes all other states valid permits, however some states require written agreements in order for them to recognize our state.

The State of Arizona has current written reciprocal agreements to carry concealed firearms with the following states:

Alaska
    Ohio
    Arkansas
    Pennsylvania (Pending)
    Idaho (Pending)
    South Dakota
    Mississippi (Pending)
    Texas

These states have an active CCW written reciprocal agreement on file with the State of Arizona. This means your Arizona permit allows you to carry concealed under their respective state statute and Arizona will reciprocate by honoring CCW permits issued by these states.

As for Vermont, I found this statement and link on the Vermont State Police web site:

Vermont Gun Laws

We get many requests regarding gun laws in Vermont. For information on this subject we refer you to the Vermont Attorney General's Office for a relatively comprehensive list of the laws pertaining to guns in Vermont.

Please be aware that Vermont does not at this time require or issue gun permits. Some Vermont towns and cities do have local ordinances, so if you are planning on visiting, it would be wise to contact the local police chief to find information pertaining to local information.

More on Vermont's gun law here: http://www.atg.state.vt.us/display.php?smod=21
    Last edited by soberbyker; March 10th, 2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: added info

(Washington County)

Reciprocity agreements, they are a wonderful thing. Some day, in a perfect world, all of America will be able to carry everywhere in America with one permit.

(Berks County)

I think the better question is how do you pronounce it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TrybalRage View Post
    I think the better question is how do you pronounce it.
    reh-si-pros-ih-tee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast