Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Re: SKS questions(help me choose my first rifle)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    I still regret not getting an sks back when I had my c&r license. Never bothered me that it didn't have a detachable magazine. I would think it's still a good choice.
    One option would be to build yourself and AR and put some wood furniture on. Do a search to see pictures. You could chose an upper in 5.56 or something like .458 and have a unique rifle.

Just some thoughts and welcome, that's a great screen name. Btw my first rifle was a Marlin lever action .357, still one of my favorites.
    Thanks! An AR with wood furniture, there's an idea... I just did some looking around, and I'm seeing some REALLY nice guns, but that furniture costs about as much as my pistol. I might have to take a stab at making some myself.

If you get an SKS and want it to be reliable, keep the original fixed magazine configuration. Everything else is a "maybe it will work".

I am not an AR fan but the PSA AR-15s are the best entry level semi-auto rifle on the market right now.

If you can get into the $1k range and dont want an AR, the PTR rifles are a great value, especially if you want a 308 semi-auto. Try to spend the extra funds to get a receiver with rail. It helps a lot in attaching a modern optic.
    Last edited by chauncey; May 16th, 2020 at 11:04 AM.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    You're too immersed in the culture speak to understand my post.
    I didn't call you a Liberal but since you mention it, it is impossible to "like" guns and not be political if you expect to be able to keep them.
    No it's cool, I got it. I'm not apolitical, but I'm not here right now to discuss politics. Obviously I care about politicians wanting to take them away, and I've noticed many of them trying to slip things thru during the plandemic panic which concerns me, but it's business as usual.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Hang around here long enough and we'll suck you into that. It looks to me like you have a good, grounded approach to what you want. If you have cash and time to look around you may find just what you're looking for cheap, good and used. I'm not opposed to buying used guns as long as they're in excellent condition and they are out there.
    Haha, I think unless I win the lottery or something, my wife will make sure I avoid that regardless of whether I end up going there mentally or not. I'm not opposed to used guns either by any means, my pistol is surplus/police trade-in Star BM. I just don't really know what exactly to look out for. I don't wanna buy something I'll regret because I didn't check it over well enough. And hey, shiny new things are nice, right?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    If you get an SKS and want it to be reliable, keep the original fixed magazine configuration. Everything else is a "maybe it will work.
    I am not an AR fan but the PSA AR-15s are the best entry level semi-auto rifle on the market right now."
    Just got the exact same advice on the SKS from a military buddy whose always owned a ton of guns. He's also the one who steered me toward a PSA in the first place. Maybe I'll just get the damn AR. It's certainly not my least favorite rifle...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    Haha, I think unless I win the lottery or something, my wife will make sure I avoid that regardless of whether I end up going there mentally or not. I'm not opposed to used guns either by any means, my pistol is surplus/police trade-in Star BM. I just don't really know what exactly to look out for. I don't wanna buy something I'll regret because I didn't check it over well enough. And hey, shiny new things are nice, right?
    I have a Star in .22, model FR Sport. Dad gave it to me, and it's a great shooter but mags are HARD to find. Quality pistol, but I did get a Ruger 22/45 to keep miles off of it due to the family connection and mag situation.

The BM has a long service history, so long as you have enough mags for it and it's running nicely, no need to replace it.

If you get into concealed carry (assuming you don't already) you may eventually find that full size steel pistols are a pain to carry. That's what drove me to Glock, combined with their "AK of the pistol world" track record of reliability and parts being everywhere.

As far as the what rifle or pistol to get, I'm all for whatever makes you happy, but I do advise getting something in current common military/LE calibers. .223/5.56 and 9mm. You've got the 9, it's really hard to suggest anything but an AR for "right now." I've got a S&W, a Colt and then several builds with various lowers and PSA uppers. All have been reliable, I'd grab any of them if the "time" truly came (along with a Glock, probably my 34 although my EDC is a 26 and for the purposes I'd want a pistol for, the 26 would be fine).

Then again, I've seen people asking STUPID money for SKSs. One shop had a $900 price tag on one last week. If you can find one cheap, now may be the time, prices aren't likely to go down, always up. They aren't making more.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I have a few tapco sks mags. They seemed a little more awkward to use than I hoped for. I didn't use them too much and I found I prefer the internal mag.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by DerpSchnitzel View Post
    No it's cool, I got it. I'm not apolitical, but I'm not here right now to discuss politics. Obviously I care about politicians wanting to take them away, and I've noticed many of them trying to slip things thru during the plandemic panic which concerns me, but it's business as usual.
    In that case please don't take offense when I tell you that you throw around language that is inserted into popular culture to demonize guns and gun owners.
    The fact that you are unaware of it is an indication of how successfully Liberals have used pop culture to demonize the 2A.

Many here are extremely aware of this slow burn pop culture anti 2A brainwashing, and don't like seeing that language used here unknowingly or otherwise.
    You can help protect the 2A by becoming aware of this issue yourself and refraining from using Liberal infused anti 2A terminology.

Having said that, if you like the SKS have at it, nothing wrong with it.
    But at this moment in time, the AR is the best deal for the money.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    In that case please don't take offense when I tell you that you throw around language that is inserted into popular culture to demonize guns and gun owners.
    The fact that you are unaware of it is an indication of how successfully Liberals have used pop culture to demonize the 2A.

Many here are extremely aware of this slow burn pop culture anti 2A brainwashing, and don't like seeing that language used here unknowingly or otherwise.
    You can help protect the 2A by becoming aware of this issue yourself and refraining from using Liberal infused anti 2A terminology.

Having said that, if you like the SKS have at it, nothing wrong with it.
    But at this moment in time, the AR is the best deal for the money.
    I saw "arsenal." I didn't see "assault rifle" or anything particularly worthy of consternation...

I don't honestly care if the MSM gets their panties in a bunch about an "arsenal." The word applies to many situations.

For example, I had been a league bowler until COVID. I've got several bowling balls. When I discuss my equipment, sometimes I'll refer to the collection of balls as "my arsenal." Is that going to get people upset about bowling?

How about adding a new parenting skill to your "arsenal" of techniques to help the children in your life?

A collection of firearms for various lawful purposes certainly lives up to the "array of resources available for a certain purpose" definition.

(Lackawanna County)

Paul Harrell's latest is about the SKS vs the AK.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast