Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: LEOSA

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    Never not once .
    I agree with the others, the 218 is really only going to matter in a place like NJ/NYC/etc, and they will bust balls if everything is not letter perfect.
    You may still beat it in court, but it will be a hell of a ride.
    Probably better to get the annual paperwork.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Luzerne County)

The retired badge and ID doesn’t cover you under LEOSA. Under LEOSA, you have to qualify once a year and have the documentation proving the qualification.

I do LEOSA certifications here in NEPA, and we are given a card that we must sign and show the qualification date and date for requalification. The sheriff then has to sign it too. This card and the retired photo ID must be carried to be covered under LEOSA.

If you travel outside PA without them, you might not get jammed up, but I wouldn’t take that chance. You won’t beat the rap in court if you don’t have them as without being covered by LEOSA, you are not allowed to carry in states that don’t accept PA LTCF.

I qualified a guy just as the corona virus hit. He was not able to take his card to the sheriff to get signed because they shut down the office. I don’t know if he got it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    YEP! ^^^^ ...and certain states, often discussed, have more than one per department.
    I work in NY as an LEO and the Troopers are hit and miss. If I get in trouble it will be most likely the Troopers who will give me the bracelets. This new breed never heard of the word respect, they talk down to other MOS, I have seen it first hand.
    I'm a Rep Virgin

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I agree with the others, the 218 is really only going to matter in a place like NJ/NYC/etc, and they will bust balls if everything is not letter perfect.
    You may still beat it in court, but it will be a hell of a ride.
    Probably better to get the annual paperwork.
    A lawyer licensed in Pa and NJ at a law shield talk told the story of leosa in NJ where everything was in order but the retired cop still spent part of that day in a cell. They gave the lawyer a hard time and threatened to lock him up also but it was just bravado. I think the lawyer had higher up connections and a phone call got them out of there.

Take it for what its worth. Couldn't be a bs entertaining story. Still wouldn't want to get caught up in NJ communism.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    A lawyer licensed in Pa and NJ at a law shield talk told the story of leosa in NJ where everything was in order but the retired cop still spent part of that day in a cell. They gave the lawyer a hard time and threatened to lock him up also but it was just bravado. I think the lawyer had higher up connections and a phone call got them out of there.

Take it for what its worth. Couldn't be a bs entertaining story. Still wouldn't want to get caught up in NJ communism.
    It happens.
    I know for a fact that at one point NYC was telling its people to detain 218's to check if their gun was lawfully purchased or stolen.
    Done for no other reason but to harass 218's to make them reluctant to carry in NYC.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    I do LEOSA certifications here in NEPA, and we are given a card that we must sign and show the qualification date and date for requalification. The sheriff then has to sign it too. This card and the retired photo ID must be carried to be covered under LEOSA.
    This is not required under the federal law. I understand that this is how PA has decided to regulate the qualifications. To be federally compliant all you need is your retired ID and "proof" of qualification. It does not state in what form this "proof" must be displayed and it certainly doesn't require any Sheriff's signatures. The FOP and the FLEOA just filed a lawsuit in New Jersey for adding additional requirements that are not mandated in the LEOSA federal law. https://www.fleoa.org/Downloads/FLEO...it_Presser.pdf

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tglee View Post
    This is not required under the federal law. I understand that this is how PA has decided to regulate the qualifications. To be federally compliant all you need is your retired ID and "proof" of qualification. It does not state in what form this "proof" must be displayed and it certainly doesn't require any Sheriff's signatures.
    Yep, some states have decided to add "their two cents" to the equation. I have flown back to my old agency in WA state and have qualified with them. In addition to my retired I.D. card, they give me a card that states that I have qualified on such and such date and that it is good for a period of 1 year. In WA, you shoot the qual with a semi auto and can carry any semi auto. You qualify with a revolver and you can carry any revolver. You shoot both and can carry both...
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Bucks County)

Most of the states have fucked up the 2nd amendment and even their own constitutions regarding guns, so of course they have fucked with and fucked up LEOSA.

LEOSA needs to be updated to address the magazine max capacities laws. The hollow point problem with NJ has been fixed. The mag capacity has not.

There is nothing in LEOSA that says you have to qualify with what your carry (semi-auto v revolver) but PA instructors will require it as a CYA in case it comes up. Think about it. A revolver can be of various configurations (DA, SA), semi-auto DA, SA, hammer fired, striker fired, mag safety, no mag safety. You can carry anything in the gun bin you never trained with no matter what they try to control.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tglee View Post
    This is not required under the federal law. I understand that this is how PA has decided to regulate the qualifications. To be federally compliant all you need is your retired ID and "proof" of qualification. It does not state in what form this "proof" must be displayed and it certainly doesn't require any Sheriff's signatures. The FOP and the FLEOA just filed a lawsuit in New Jersey for adding additional requirements that are not mandated in the LEOSA federal law. https://www.fleoa.org/Downloads/FLEO...it_Presser.pdf
    You are wrong on the retired requirements. It's not required for active duty officers, but retired officers are required to have documentation that shows they qualified within 12 months. The sheriff's signature, indicating the person passed a background check is not required by LEOSA, but it's the way PA runs the qualifications.

§ 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement officers

(d) The identification required by this subsection is--

(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and

(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than 1 year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met--

(I) the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

(II) if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; May 18th, 2020 at 02:16 AM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Yep, some states have decided to add "their two cents" to the equation. I have flown back to my old agency in WA state and have qualified with them. In addition to my retired I.D. card, they give me a card that states that I have qualified on such and such date and that it is good for a period of 1 year. In WA, you shoot the qual with a semi auto and can carry any semi auto. You qualify with a revolver and you can carry any revolver. You shoot both and can carry both...
    PA is the same way. If a person wants to carry a semi-auto and a revolver, according to MPOETC (run by PSP), I must have them qualify with both handguns.

Additionally, I have a letter from MPOETC stating that if the controls on the handgun are different, Sig vs Glock, then I must qualify the person with both handguns if they want to carry one or the other. If the person will only carry a Glock, then he can qualify with one Glock, but carry any other Glock (different size or caliber) that he wants.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast