Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northumberland County)

Default Fair price on barreled action?

By sheer dumb luck, I stumbled on a barreled action online that has some sentimental value (local origins). Its a no-frills but high quality Mauser receiver, and built by someone who knew what they were doing. It no longer has a stock or mag/trigger guard. Whats a fair price, recognizing I'd have another $40-50 to get it here and transferred?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Fair price on barreled action?

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    By sheer dumb luck, I stumbled on a barreled action online that has some sentimental value (local origins). Its a no-frills but high quality Mauser receiver, and built by someone who knew what they were doing. It no longer has a stock or mag/trigger guard. Whats a fair price, recognizing I'd have another $40-50 to get it here and transferred?
    It is impossible to say without knowing all of the details on who built in and what they did. A nice Mauser barreled action can go for $150-200. If Bubba got his hands on it less.

On the other hand if a well known gunsmith trued the action, installed a match barrel, properly bent the bolt, and put on a modern safety the action can go for more than most new complete rifles cost. My issue is why it is still just a barreled action and not a finished rifle.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    It is impossible to say without knowing all of the details on who built in and what they did. A nice Mauser barreled action can go for $150-200. If Bubba got his hands on it less.

On the other hand if a well known gunsmith trued the action, installed a match barrel, properly bent the bolt, and put on a modern safety the action can go for more than most new complete rifles cost. My issue is why it is still just a barreled action and not a finished rifle.
    Thanks, I was thinking 200ish also, but without much to go on. I believe it was well made and likely a Douglas barrel. Blueing is good, with a few small issues from use. Not necessarily match grade though. Appreciate the feedback.

(Northumberland County)

$256 in case inquiring minds want to know. I couldnt say much but was a Carl Hottenstein Mauser from Richland PA. I tapped out, considering all it needed to finish

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    $256 in case inquiring minds want to know. I couldnt say much but was a Carl Hottenstein Mauser from Richland PA. I tapped out, considering all it needed to finish
    Barreled actions from well known gunsmiths go for a premium so you did good. Lets see some pics.

(Northumberland County)

I stopped bidding at $250, didn't get it. Next guy went to $256, but who knows if he would be stopped there. Would've been another $200+ to finish it right, and I couldnt justify being into it $500+ and not knowing for sure what I was getting.